Author Topic: What material for box to cover fuel components  (Read 4799 times)

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
What material for box to cover fuel components
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
So I am prepping my car just to run the 150mph club this year at the World of Speed. I am running a 2004 VW R32 which is basically a 2 door all wheel drive golf. The 10 gallon fuel cell is installed in the rear hatch. It looks like this

My question is can I use .125 1/8" aluminum to build a box around the fuel cell? I was told by someone that it had to be 1/8" steel but the car is heavy enough as it is.

Offline NathanStewart

Re: What material for box to cover fuel components
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:34:36 AM »
Check section 3.F in the SCTA rule book for your answer.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »
BTW, I'm Nate... formerly from C. Springs... formerly of Edition 719... and formerly the lead organizer of DATR back in 2008.  You might know me.

Cool to see that you want to run out at the salt.  Keep in mind that just because you don't fall into a particular class doesn't mean you can't run.  It just means you won't set a record.  If you pass tech you can run and still get an official SCTA timing slip which is proof enough to most people to prove how fast your car is.  Just a FYI for ya...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:42:51 AM »
150 Club... this year... how about next year?  You may be good to go for 150 Club now... re-read the 150 club rules a dozen or so times.  If you still think you don't know the answer, call them or send an email and someone will get you the answer.  Is your cell secured in the car?  150 Club is the interim class.... not necessarily full race trim but not street cars like the 130 Club.

If your future includes scta or BNI runs on the salt then you will need to comply with all of those rules.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline geh458

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:53:51 AM »

Section 3.F in the SCTA 2010 Rule Book deals with the Firewall (quoted from the book: A full firewall to provide a watertight and flame-resistant barrier between the engine and the driver is required in all categories).

Section 3.I deals with the fuel systems.  And in the vary first paragraph you will find this:  "All fuel tanks shall be isolated from the drivers compartment and protected in the plane of the blower drive, if used".  Basically, a second firewall.

Another important section is 3.I.1  "Fuel Shut-off".

Good luck.

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:02:16 AM »

Section 3.F in the SCTA 2010 Rule Book deals with the Firewall (quoted from the book: A full firewall to provide a watertight and flame-resistant barrier between the engine and the driver is required in all categories).

Section 3.I deals with the fuel systems.  And in the vary first paragraph you will find this:  "All fuel tanks shall be isolated from the drivers compartment and protected in the plane of the blower drive, if used".  Basically, a second firewall.

Another important section is 3.I.1  "Fuel Shut-off".

Good luck.

Yeah I read that. I know I need a second firewall but it doesn't say what material I need to use. I am wanting to use .125 aluminum.

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:08:01 AM »
BTW, I'm Nate... formerly from C. Springs... formerly of Edition 719... and formerly the lead organizer of DATR back in 2008.  You might know me.

Cool to see that you want to run out at the salt.  Keep in mind that just because you don't fall into a particular class doesn't mean you can't run.  It just means you won't set a record.  If you pass tech you can run and still get an official SCTA timing slip which is proof enough to most people to prove how fast your car is.  Just a FYI for ya...

So how does that work? I would like to make open runs up to say 200mph but I am not sure if I would be allowed because I don't fit into a specific class. I was told I would only be able to run the 150mph club unless I conformed to the rules of the BFCC (which my car is closest to) class which has a record of 263mph so I would have to pass tech as if I was going to be running 263mph. Does that sound correct?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:19:22 AM »
BTW, I'm Nate... formerly from C. Springs... formerly of Edition 719... and formerly the lead organizer of DATR back in 2008.  You might know me.

Cool to see that you want to run out at the salt.  Keep in mind that just because you don't fall into a particular class doesn't mean you can't run.  It just means you won't set a record.  If you pass tech you can run and still get an official SCTA timing slip which is proof enough to most people to prove how fast your car is.  Just a FYI for ya...

So how does that work? I would like to make open runs up to say 200mph but I am not sure if I would be allowed because I don't fit into a specific class. I was told I would only be able to run the 150mph club unless I conformed to the rules of the BFCC (which my car is closest to) class which has a record of 263mph so I would have to pass tech as if I was going to be running 263mph. Does that sound correct?

Yes you are correct, if you have a vehicle that you know may only run 175 mph you have to pass and comply with the safety and class rules for whatever speed the record is in the class your car fits in to.  

John

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
That's the problem John, his car doesn't fit into a class so he can run Time Only.  My advice Gabe is build it like it's running against a 250 mph record and you shouldn't have a problem passing tech. 

Besides, all they'd do is yellow sticker you and give you a speed limit if you didn't meet the higher speed requirements.  We have plenty of roundy-round NASCAR type cars the show up and run TO every year.

Offline xbluewaterx

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 09:22:45 AM »
Thanks for all the info Nathan. Now back to my original question. I have decided to use .090 aluminum for my firewall over the fuel cell. The rule book in 3.F requires .060. Recomends .095 so I am guessing I should be ok with the .090

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 01:32:29 AM »
You're correct.  Anything over the minimum requirement is kosher.