Author Topic: Aerodynamic Lift  (Read 16550 times)

LittleLiner

Re: Aerodynamic Lift
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »
ECTA rule book pg 5o  5.D.7 circle track.
Wings and nurf bars that give aerodynamic aid are not permitted.  Interesting

With that double wing it looks like a Time Only car. . . .

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »
If it ran time only then why does it have a class designation on the car? :?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 12:03:26 AM »
Must be a wantabee  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »

As the builders of the car were copying the ''secret test results'' it seems the aerodynamist and not the racers were the ones that screwed up on the lift :-o

JL222

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »

The testing that was done on the 3/8 model was done for months & months with a report as thick as a text book with results of different configurations that were tested.  The full scale car was built and was not in the right configuration for landspeed racing (that’s all). Gary Romberg (the aerodynamicist) said right off the bat at the day of the full scale test... There will be a lot of front lift in the configuration that the car was run, and this was confirmed in the tunnel.  Gary R then said that to achieve front downforce on the front ____ is the configuration the car must be in.  After the configuration was changed it did just as he said and gave the car front downforce.

Keep this in mind.  This car was under development by Chrysler for NASCAR racing (circle track) where there are numerous configurations for different tracks.  Some tracks need maximum downforce and will comprise with a drag penalty, where tracks such as Daytona and Talladega, drag reduction is more significant.   Even though Daytona and Talladega are very similar tracks, they still have different aero configurations because Daytona is a handling track where the cars need to drive better than at Talladega.  There was never a configuration run on the 3/8 model that would give them the best design for Maxton...

As the builders of the car were copying the ''secret test results'' it seems the aerodynamist and not the racers were the ones that screwed up on the lift

JL222

To say the aerodynamicist screwed up and to assume that someone who is not a trained aerodynamicist could look at all that data and sort out the best configuration to build a car for Maxton (when there wasn’t one) is very ignorant.  I am willing to help answer any questions that help you better understand the Topic. 
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »
I added an extra image of the car in April sitting Static to see the ride height of the car as it sits in order to compair the fender gaps while it is running at Maxton. Note that i had to mirror the image to reference the car in the correct direction so all of the lettering is backwards. 

Listed order in pictures:

Static:    April Maxton
Dynamic: April Maxton
Dynamic: May Maxton
Dynamic: June Maxton
www.A2WT.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 11:56:31 AM »
  Looking at the current highspeed cup cars the aerodynamist of 40 years ago were ignorant of front end lift and a lot of other aero design to suggest aerodynamist now know it all is ignorant.
 Of course at the time they were all pumped up about how much they knew.

JL222

p.s. I was referring of the ''secret test'' areodynamist of 40 yrs ago if a current aerodynamist helped on the build he screwed up also. That's why LSR racers know to put air dams on their cars.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:29:41 PM by jl222 »

LittleLiner

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
If it ran time only then why does it have a class designation on the car? :?

Didn't say it ran Time Only,  . . . but was suggesting that maybe it should have . . . .
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:21:11 PM by LittleLiner »

Offline G-SERIES

• New folks
  • www.71Wingcars.com
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
Let me see if I can clarify things, and it's as simple as this:  We wanted to see what it would take to go 200 in our car...a car that we modified into a 'what if' phantom that never made it into production due to nascar rule constraints.  We made sure we had plenty of power, but admittedly, didn't know what modifications would be needed to adjust for aero.  Like the early Daytona/Superbird, the horizontal blade is adjustable to increase downforce.  The front spoiler used in the April configuration is the original street design. We wanted to see how the 'street' configuration would react.  Poorly.  For May, we fabbed up a larger, more nascar style spoiler. Much better.  And with what we learned at A2/Aerodyn, got the car from huge lift in April, minor lift in May, to creating downforce in June.  With the car balanced aerodynamically, it drives like a bullet on rails...at Maxton!!!  I was so confident with the aero handling, I turned the car over to Pam so she could start getting used to it; doing her two licensing runs of 125 and 155mph.  With regard to the class designation, the race director determined that the wing gave us no advantage and placed us in the GCT class.  I don't care if we're in Time Only or no class   :-D    ....In those immortal words: " I just want to go 200!  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:34:30 PM by G-SERIES »

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
p.s. I was referring of the ''secret test'' areodynamist of 40 yrs ago if a current aerodynamist helped on the build he screwed up also.
The aerodynamicist 40 years ago (Gary Romberg) is the same aerodynamicist that currently works at AeroDyn & A2 as a technical director and was present during the full-scale test.  He didn't help build the car nor did he know the car was even being built so he could offer advice along the way or asked any questions from the individual during the building process of the car.  We got a call one day from Mr. Beineke saying that he had built a ’71 Daytona and wanted to test it in the wind tunnel and since Mr. Romberg works here he got to see a car he tested while working at Chrysler 40 years ago as a full scale version.  At the point Romberg took his first look at the car upon arrival and then said it was in the wrong configuration to be able to make front downforce. I have permission from the customer to talk about the front air-dam and the configurations.  Mr. Beineke did see in the report that they were using a larger air-dam on the racecars.  Beineke also said he had put a production air-dam on because his other wing car (with more body rake) felt “planted” at around 125mph so he didn’t think the ‘71 would need the added size.  He knew once he was in the wind tunnel he could see for himself if it needed the larger air-dam or not and pre-built a larger air-dam to test.  Romberg said that it was not only the size, but the air-dam on the racecars were moved forward towards the nose to add more downforce.  See picture for air-dam size, stock vs. racecar version.

I don’t mean ignorant with disrespect. The definition of ignorance is - the lack of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.  I’m guessing you have not done wind tunnel work or you might understand how much data could be generated with months of testing, so I just meant you were uniformed on the subject if you think that someone without aero training could just pick up a report and build something to the best configuration for Maxton.  Aerodynamics is a very complicated subject.

That's why LSR racers know to put air dams on their cars.
I will also be as bold to say that there are many landspeed racers that have NO idea what kind of lift or downforce numbers their cars make.  Just adding a valiance (air dam) is NOT the answer to solving front lift.  As a matter of fact, the larger air-dam on the ’71 Daytona still had a front lift problem and it was only when we moved it forward towards the nose that it made front downforce (as in June picture).  I have seen a front valiance hurt a cars performance and I have seen a valiance in the wrong location hurt a cars performance.  So, to just say adding an air-dam is best is not entirely correct.

You are right that aerodynamicist were ignorant back then because aero was a newer subject for racing, and that is why you see open wheel racecars evolve from what they started testing in the 70’s to the F1 cars of today.  Because they started using wind tunnels and were able to develop the cars instead of guess.  But you also have to remember that back in the 70’s NASCAR was still racing stock cars.  If you want to put blame on someone for a production car creating lift (even cars of today) it is the styling department, not the aero department.  This is from Gary Eaker (Head aerodynamicist of GM) and Gary Romberg (head aerodynamicist of Chrysler) “When you have 400 people in styling and 4 people in the aero department, you can bet that styling won almost every time.”  The Super Bird and Dayton got a thumbs down from styling but was very good from an aerodynamic standpoint in that period in time and this made the aero dept smile.     
www.A2WT.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
"With regard to the class designation, the race director determined that the wing gave us no advantage and placed us in the GCT class"

It would seem that a person could save a lot of money by not going to a wind tunnel and just consulting with the race director on aero and which rules you had to conform to.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline joea

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
im ALL for what you guys are doing...!!

it seems clear that the "aero" devices on the car
after a fair amount of windtunnel tuning..aided the
cars speed and handling...:):)

Joe :)

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »
"With regard to the class designation, the race director determined that the wing gave us no advantage and placed us in the GCT class"

It would seem that a person could save a lot of money by not going to a wind tunnel and just consulting with the race director on aero and which rules you had to conform to.

Stan

ya think anyone there would protest him if he got a record?  :-D. Just needs another 20-25 mph more right? :cheers:

maybe the race director new he wouldn't be setting a record anyway. :mrgreen:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »
Record?

See Reply #10 on this thread.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 06:03:18 PM »
Record?

See Reply #10 on this thread.

"DW
Chief Impound Steward"

???

Dan is doing Maxton now??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!