Author Topic: toe amount? is this OK???  (Read 7254 times)

Offline jl222

Re: toe amount? is this OK???
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 01:15:06 AM »

This is why I like Carroll Smiths books as he explains stuff like this, and one reason against avoiding toe out is if a gust of wind hits the side of the car in toe out the car will turn against the gust which is upsetting, with toe in it moves with the wind, or just moves over, as passenger cars are designed to do. He also explains all about bump steer and how much is acceptable.

JL222

Offline Fheckro

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »
Jonny

at 13 feet from your axle center line 13/16in will give you the same setting as Jl222's(1/8in on a 24 in tire)
9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
I didn't see anywhere on here about how I learned to set toe in/out on a car from a friend of mine who raced atlantic cars. He put a jackstand at all 4 corners and tied some nylon snap-line to each stand from front to back. He then slid the stands where the back ones were behind the tires but the string was almost against the tires, raised or lowered the stand so the string was in the middle of the tire. Now with the other stands past the front wheels and also adjusted so the string is in the middle (up and down) pull the string tight and slide it out or to the center until the string is perfectly parallel with the back wheel (use a steel ruler and preferably another person cuz its easier) and when both sides are done, you have a poor man' laser! Take your ruler to the front and make your settings off the string which is square with the back wheels! Hope this makes sense. He also said run toe out as toe in would cause the car to dart. Just another idea to throw in the ring...