Author Topic: flywheel shield and hans device question  (Read 4323 times)

Offline brock Hollywood

flywheel shield and hans device question
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
Planning on running a honda civic in a H/GALT class this year and just going through the final checklist. I somehow missed the flywheel section everytime i read through the rulebook. having trouble coming up with an idea for a shield design. Does anyone have pics of small motored front wheel drive vehicles that have a legal shield? Am I correct in assuming that a certified "trans blanket" works in my case if i cant come up with a steel cover.

Next question is about neck restraint systems. will a simple helmet restraint system with a lead and d-ring attatched to your helmet and seat work or do I have to have a Hans device? if a simple lead and D-ring would work, where do I find one that will pass tech inspection?

Thanks for you input and see you all on the salt!

Offline jdincau

Re: flywheel shield and hans device question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:48:45 AM »
     Regarding the flywheel shield, note the bold face portion of the rule requiring prior approval from the car technical committee chair (Lee Kennedy) for a blanket type shield.
     The head restraint must carry an SFI 38.1 rating.
     Here is a list of SFI compliant manufacturers.
 http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1
Jim
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:51:43 AM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
maybe look up hondata they maybe  able to help you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:58:22 AM by mkilger »

Offline brock Hollywood

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 03:21:57 PM »
thanks for the info. I am having trouble getting a hold of the tech official. anyone have any better contact info other than what is on scta's website???

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
Rule book shows Bobby Sykes - drylakes207@yahoo.com - as the Coup and Sedan chair

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:38:31 PM »
www.ipgparts.com has a 1/4" thick shield for honda trans.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »
Direct from the rulebook:3.O   FLYWHEELS, FLYWHEEL SHIELDS and BELLHOUSINGS:
...On cars where no aftermarket flywheel shield is available, and on smaller cars with limited space to install either SFI specification or SCTA-approved flywheel shield, a SFI specification 4.1 blanket specifically manufactured for the particular application may be used as a flywheel blanket (shield).  All such uses shall be submitted to the Car Technical Chairperson in accordance with Section 1.P, Technical Committees:, and must receive prior approval before use.

If you can find a SFI 4.1 blanket you should be ok. Try import drag racers forums or check with the advertisers in the rulebook, your best choice.

3.A.3   Driver’s Helmet Support:
Forward movement: All NEW cars and motorcycle streamliners presented for inspection shall have an engineered and tested SFI spec 38.1 type head and neck restraint system.

Pretty clear, your homemade restraint will NOT pass tech. Again, the rulebook is your friend here.
I don't understand your difficulty reaching a tech person by phone or email. Did you try me?

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Safer1

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »

Next question is about neck restraint systems. will a simple helmet restraint system with a lead and d-ring attatched to your helmet and seat work or do I have to have a Hans device? if a simple lead and D-ring would work, where do I find one that will pass tech inspection?

Thanks for you input and see you all on the salt!
[/quote]

However, you have options.  You do not have to run only a Hans device.  Check out www.safetysolutionsracing.com for information about the performance leader in head restraints.  You will also find a more cost effective solution.

Offline Aragorn

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »

Offline brock Hollywood

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
thanks to all for all the help!