Author Topic: El Mirage this weekend  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Veronykah

• New folks
El Mirage this weekend
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »
So this Sunday will be the first time I've been to El Mirage or any land speed event.
I was hoping you all could give me some info, the SCTA website is pretty sparse on info for spectators.
What time do the races start?
How long does the day usually last?
Planning on making the drive from LA on Sunday but don't want to miss anything!

Thanks and I can't wait to finally see the races!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: El Mirage this weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:01:39 AM »
Hi Veronykah,   The racing usually starts sometime between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m.   The finishing time depends on the weather.  Wind tends to shorten an event.  But if all goes well we run until 2 or 2:30. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:30:54 AM »
Hi Veronykah,   The racing usually starts sometime between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m.   The finishing time depends on the weather.  Wind tends to shorten an event.  But if all goes well we run until 2 or 2:30. 

AMEN!!

Great info you have been given, allow yourself 10 minutes to get from the main road to get to the starting line, if you do not already have the SCTA/BLM pass to get on the lakebed then give yourself another 10 minutes or so..the fastest and highest in SCTA points vehicles run in the top 25 runs of the days passes..the earlier you get there as a spectator you can see all of the goings on plus if you want to be near the starting line you will need a wristband if you are with a particular racing vehicle.
  :cheers:

John

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:41:26 AM »
I don't know where you are starting from but from the intersection of the 101 & 405 Freeways depending on how fast you drive, and how many stops you make, it will take you 1.5-2.0 hrs. to get to the pits at El Mirage. This Sunday I am sure they will try and start at 7:30 as it is July and usually very hot. Bring water to drink. There is a catering truck you can buy breakfast and lunch off of if you want. Bring sunscreen or a big hat, and sunglasses. Desert can be cold in the morning, so you might want a jacket. People are very friendly and will answer most questions about their vehicles. Here are some directions and a map from the SCTA site. Have fun.

Tom G.

http://www.scta-bni.org/El%20Mirage/DrivingDirections.html
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline johnbeck

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 02:19:28 AM »
Best to get there early like around 6 or so, you can get some great dawn photo's when racers are getting ready. Also you might pick up on some of the soul of the sport.
The porta pottys are also mich freindlyer early in the morning :wink:
nitro junkie

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 02:27:37 AM »
Best to get there early like around 6 or so, you can get some great dawn photo's when racers are getting ready. Also you might pick up on some of the soul of the sport.
The porta pottys are also much less abused early in the morning :wink:

Fixed it... :cheers:

Offline Veronykah

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:51:21 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone!
I'm working Saturday night so it looks like I might just have to drive out straight from work...the lure of some dawn shots in the desert and a bunch of amazing cars is probably enough to get me to do it though.

Looking forward to it!

Offline Veronykah

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »
Those of you driving from LA is the route taking the 14 through Palmdale better than just taking a freeway east and the 15 up through Victorville?
The SCTA directions look like a lot of street driving VS mostly freeways if I go the other way....never been either way.
I'm coming from Hollywood.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
I don't know about the Palmdale route, but if you do to I-10 to I-15 take Hwy 138 going north( if you go into Victorville or turn on the 395 you have to do a lot of backtracking). After passing the Wrightwood turnoff (at the crest) take the next right "Sheep Creek Road" into and thru Phelan. Keep going straight to El Mirage rd and go east about 2 miles to the lakebed access. Look for the SCTA sign. After you are on the lakebed go to the west end were the starting line is. Stay on the north or south sides of the lakebed.

Have fun!

Tom