Author Topic: welding heads together  (Read 9865 times)

Offline coolgent01

• New folks
welding heads together
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »
Knowledgeable friends..... I remember in the past of someone cutting and welding back together Chevy heads to make a single 6 cylinder head...... I think this was in the altered ranks.....Need to know if this is advisable or is their a better way.Working on a roadster or maybe  s smaller liner..... I am in the northwest,and wont make it this year ,maybe next.....Any help would be appreciated..................Thanks

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: welding heads together
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »
Yes it has been done on both Ford & Chevrolet in-line 6 engines. Mainly for drag racing as the durability may be a question for LSR use. The heads are cut in sections and furnaced brazed together if I remember correctly. You could not do this in Production or GT as the rules require heads with the original port-valve arrangement.

Hope this helps.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline hotschue

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:00:59 PM »
Contact forum member "Slyonejr"....his dad Sherman Sly was the first to weld Ford heads together back in the 60's.  He is still actively racing in nhra and still welding Chev and Ford heads together for customers...building intakes and more.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »
With the flood of aluminum heads around now I might look into some of them rather then deal with welding iron. What brand of six are we talking about here?

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »
Depends on what engine you are running. If you plan on going with the Ford 300 six, there is a Ford Motorsports cylinder head that Alan Johnson has put together, based off of the old Cleveland heads and the ports based off of the SBC canted valve head, think it might actually have a Ford part number. I have seen several of the Chevy and Ford heads cut up and furnace brazed together in the back yard. The big trick right now in Competition eliminator if you are going to run the Chevy six is to run the new DOHC motor like is in the Trailblazers or if you are going with the older cam in block motors, there are several cylinder heads that are "stock" that flow up to 420 cfm with the original port configuration. I know of a couple of people that have taken the Chevy canted valve small block head in aluminum, cut them into six individual sections, heliarced them back together to get the bore spacing right and put them on like a 250 or a 292 Chevy six. If you are really set on having a cast iron head, just PM me and I can put you in touch with several people that can help out with which heads to use, welding, and porting them.

Jeff
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets

Offline rebelce

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »
It's a lot harder than simply welding a couple of aluminum heads together. The intake and exhaust manifolds and a side plate must be custom built. The block will have to be plugged and the new head bolt pattern re-drilled.The distributor will be very close to the bottom of the intake manifold.   If you do all that you will have a solid engine. Be forewarned though, the lifters will be at an angle.  I asked a question on turbo tube sizing, there's a few pictures there.  As far as I know, Leo Santucci is the only one currently running this set up. The Vortec 4200 is a killer engine and in my opinion, a better way to go. Let me know if you'd like more details.     http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7501.0.html

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »
The Selfs in Durant OK do pretty well with the 4200 also

I would start with the late model heads with the Metal valve covers
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:11:26 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:50 AM »

I could agreed that it might be defends on the engine you are running. It is because of the flow that runs into a section that could be comfortable. And we can think that having a welding together can made a good part of the exhaust system.

I am sure I can smell SPAM!!!!!!!
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:59:51 AM »
Okay, all right already -- I've deleted the account and banned the guy, and now just have to find the rest of the spamposts. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com