Author Topic: drag radials  (Read 24069 times)

Offline Fheckro

Re: drag radials
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
Saltfever,

amen brother !

Fred
9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline flyingkiwi97

• New folks
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2010, 02:01:25 AM »
I very rarely take part in these discussions but for those of you interested this was my official reply ;
Hi Daryl,
We are very wary of tires we are not familiar with. And these tires are also a lot wider than the majority of cars use.
For tires that are not originally designed for sustained high speed use, we have a supervised limited speed program we will put you through.
This will consist of supervised runs at , 175mph for the first (depending upon license), 185-190 for the second, 200 for the third, then 210, and so on.
The tires will be checked after each run for heat, damage, wear, or any other unusual effects they might suffer.
Handling problems or irregularities are also a concern with wide tires, this is another reason you will be supervised.
Be advised that the race surface on the salt is very different to Maxton.
Please contact Joe Timney for advice on the surface differences.
Please make yourself known to myself or Lee Kennedy upon your arrival in the tech area.
Regards,
Steve Davies.
Chief Car Inspector SCTA/BNI.

Offline flyingkiwi97

• New folks
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 02:07:05 AM »
Thats my 2 cents worth.

If anyone needs to reach me, my email is in the rule book.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 02:19:53 AM »
Kiwi
on those aircraft tires they were talkin about in this thread.... havent we been limiting them to 250mph....
kent

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2010, 02:28:06 AM »
Not all wide tires have handling issues, just cars that have the wrong set up. :mrgreen:

Offline flyingkiwi97

• New folks
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2010, 02:29:39 AM »
Hi Kent,
All aircraft tires (or any tires seeking approval) go through the entire tech committee process, they have the final say.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
pretty sure they have a 250 cap.... Right Stainless?
kent

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »
Kiwi, just wanted to say thanks for all the help you guys gave and to let you know that I could not have been happier with how Mike went the extra mile (so to speak) to make sure he was on the return road at the end of every pass checking out the tire wear and temps. I had backup tires available (which I did end up using) but hopefully I can bring these back next year and we can do some more testing with them. In the mean time, I'm going to try to get in touch with whoever I can at MT to see if there is any further testing they can provide that will help out.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline jl222

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »
Kiwi, just wanted to say thanks for all the help you guys gave and to let you know that I could not have been happier with how Mike went the extra mile (so to speak) to make sure he was on the return road at the end of every pass checking out the tire wear and temps. I had backup tires available (which I did end up using) but hopefully I can bring these back next year and we can do some more testing with them. In the mean time, I'm going to try to get in touch with whoever I can at MT to see if there is any further testing they can provide that will help out.

How did the two tires compare and what were the temps?

JL222

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »
Both tires and rims absolutely cool to the touch and the drag radials handled much better.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 12:00:48 AM »
Both tires and rims absolutely cool to the touch and the drag radials handled much better.

white car, my mistake. :-D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:17:01 PM by bvillercr »

saltfever

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 01:28:08 AM »

What air pressure did you run in the drag tire?

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
Salt...I asked that on the first page and never saw a reply..............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

saltfever

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
Salt...I asked that on the first page and never saw a reply..............
That is an important question! That is why I asked it again.  :wink:

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:22 AM »
OK, not quite on the topic, but relevant. At Speedweed we had a fairly low speed spin. I told the driver "go fast at the other end". Anyway at reinspection the Goodyear "Drag" Frontrunners were deemed unacceptable to continue racing. The tires are roughly 10 years old and had been exhibiting a circular seperation in the sidewall about 1&3/4" above the rim. After the spin you could feel the sepertion and peal the sidewall back about 1/4' toward the rim.

Anyway, I bought a set of LSR Goodyears from Gary Hart. With the cost I want to get the maximum life out of them. Looking at Jim Dincau's link I had some questions:

1. Can you get nitrogen at a welding supply store?

2. I have seen posts about storing LSR tires without any "Air" in them. Does this go for nitrogen filled tires?

3. I have also seen posts about storing the tires in black plastic bags in cool places?

Can you comment on these and any other methods for extending the life of LSR tires?

Tom
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:11:17 AM by 836dstr »