Author Topic: The Advantage of PVC tubing as a chassis material  (Read 15967 times)

Offline salt27

Re: The Advantage of PVC tubing as a chassis material
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 02:33:23 PM »

Most of the sleds I have seen use a centrifugal clutch, and don't seem to have any issues with bumps.
[/quote]

If my memory is correct, I believe the 585 streamliner used a snowmobile drive [torque conveter] successfully.

Don

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »
Would love to see a pic of one of these Poly Vinyl Chassis!

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2010, 11:35:44 PM »
Ya know Lucky, I'd bet that a lot of people would like to see a PVC chassis, I know that I have taken several pictures of it as I have been going along, but everytime I try to post them, it keeps locking up my computer. Guess that I made them too big.

Small update on things, started tearing down the 2nd Ninja 250 motor that I have, found out a few things about it, and after talking to Eric on here, think I have a good idea of what I need to get and what I need to do to it. Planning on building one engine to "KILL" standards (and yes, I'll bring my own kitty litter) and keeping one stock. Going to put the stock engine in the Lakester first to get used to the car and figure out how to drive it, and to figure out how well my plans work. Then after running the car for a while, I'll install the "KILL" motor, and really go out and attack the record.

Things have been going slow on putting the actual chassis together, cut a bunch of tubing up, and went to start tacking it together, and of course, Murphy came up and bit me on the hindquarters. Seems my little MIG welder that I have had for years finally decided that it didn't want to work anymore, so now I'm taking donations to get a new (well, new to me) welder.

I do have a few questions though, I have been playing around with ideas for the front suspension, and I think that I am going to use a straight front axle, a couple of bellcranks, and a set of coil overs laid down, but what I am wondering is, How do you figure out the angles and lengths needed on the bellcrank to get about 1 1/2" to 2" of movement and still work with the coil overs? Got the rear suspension figured out pretty good, going to build a short swingarm and use a set of coil overs to dampen everything out. Any suggestions?
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2010, 09:17:22 PM »
I build models and scale them up to what I need.  You could build a mock up and just sort it out. Or computer and a CAD program. Why a straight axle? I was thinking of using an independent suspension with disc brakes from an ATV . They are  strong and cheep.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
I was thinking of using the straight front axle to put less into the airstream, less in the airstream = more aerodynamic, and as we know, pushing air is a lot harder than building horsepower, especially when I'm only looking at about 38 - 40 hp to begin with. Trying to keep this Lakester aerodynamic is one reason that I am not planning on using front brakes, just rear brakes mounted on a straight axle with two calipers on one disc with a separate line running from the master cylinder for each caliper, that way, if I lose one caliper, I have a backup. Also, since I'm thinking about moving up in class in a few years, plans are to put a parachute on this thing too. Don't think I'm gonna need it running the Ninja 250 motor though, but it is nice to have if things get real crazy.

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Looks like I am going to be spending a lot of time on both the lathe and the milling machine in the process of building the Lakester, but as someone told me in the Chat Room on Tuesday, "It wouldn't be as fun if you could just buy everything and have a car, if it was that easy, EVERYONE would have a couple of records" which is true. Gotten a lot of the parts in that I could buy, now I'm needing to finish welding the frame together and start attaching all the stuff that I need to it and making what I can. Still trying to make it to Maxton for the 1st event next year, might need some luck.

Been trying to find the formula that tells you how far away the sprockets are suppose to be from each other to ensure proper chain engagement, and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have it or know where I can find it? Thanks!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »
to close is worse than to far
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline White Monster

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
SlyOneJr, since you are only in Charlotte, are you coming to Maxton in September ?
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 09:10:58 AM »
Yep, you would have to beat me away with a real big stick to keep me away from Maxton in September! Might bring the wife with me, depends on if she can get off of work. I know that I won't be able to make it in October, I'm helping out Cajun Kid at the Goodguys event at ZMax on that Friday night, then I have another friend that I am helping for the rest of the weekend. Hate that I'm going to miss that meet too, with the weather getting cooler, should be some great runs!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »
Yep, you would have to beat me away with a real big stick to keep me away from Maxton in September! Might bring the wife with me, depends on if she can get off of work. I know that I won't be able to make it in October, I'm helping out Cajun Kid at the Goodguys event at ZMax on that Friday night, then I have another friend that I am helping for the rest of the weekend. Hate that I'm going to miss that meet too, with the weather getting cooler, should be some great runs!

Jeff anyway you could make it up to my shop in the next couple weeks ? I need an extra set of hands and eyeys for about a 3 hour project,,,,,a Friday evening, or Sat or Sun... food and Beer on me brother ....

PM me

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »
Jeff -
You up for volunteering at the September Maxton meet?  We're a bit light on signed-up volunteers and we could use you.

Thanks
Dan Stokes
Volunteer Coordinator, ECTA
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer