Author Topic: I have a dream of my first LSR build  (Read 8622 times)

Offline geh458

I have a dream of my first LSR build
« on: July 05, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
Hi All,

I've been on the board since mid-march, and had hoped to start a build by now (or buy a race ready car), but I've had a set back.  The garage I was renting was sold and the new owner wanted to use it so I had to vacate by June 15.  Therefore, all my stuff is packed in my little one car garage at the house, and in the trailer.

Anyway, my planning and research continues.  I have decided I want to build/buy something in a Classic (CFALT,CGALT, or CGC), Competition Coupe (FCC or GCC), or maybe even an Altered Coupe (FALT or GALT), and at this time engine size is still in question, and blown is not an option at this time as I have no experience in that arena.  As for car choice, I've always like the '53 Studebaker.  And after attending the May El Mirage event, a couple of other car are on the radar, the '53 Hudson Hornet, and what I think was a '49 or '50 Dodge Wayfarer Coupe (not sure as I didn't talk to anyone near the car while I was there).  What can I say, I like the old iron.

I'm sure I'll have lots of question when I finally start my project.  Allot of my questions have already been answered in other threads that I've asked questions in, thanks so far.  I'll keep everyone posted in this thread as things evolve.

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline willieworld

Re: I have a dream of my first LSR build
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
welcome to land speed racing  --the dodge is actually a plymouth sedan that was shortened into a club coupe  with lots of body work --if you decide on a stupidbaker  i have a very nice 54 with 53 front sheet metal ---also its not a post car its a 2 door hardtop         welcome  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »
And there is a pretty good reason why so many Studes ended up at Bonneville and so few Hudson and Plymouth/Dodge cars.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »
Anyway, my planning and research continues. 

And it's always ongoing and never ends.  Take your time, choose something you can commit to for a long-term relationship, and get a rule book.

Not only is it the fastest sport on earth, it's also the slowest.

Cheers!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
Gifford,,,

Not sure of your budget, Me and the crew out here in NC can build you a rolling chassis up to a complete car...

I love my 33 Vicky,,, but if you wanna set records and stay in classic  the Studes, Monza's, Camaro or Firebirds are better choices than the 30's and 40's cars...  but man are the old hotrods cool...

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline geh458

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
Charles,

Having a car/roller built is something to think about.  If you would send me a PM with your email, phone and webpage address, I'll contact you offline.  You guys appear to do excellent work, I've been watching your Studebaker build with great interest.

Gifford Hawn

Offline GH

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 12:46:17 PM »
I have a Stude that is for sale, if you are interested. I would help you run the car at Speedweek this year. What do you think?

Offline geh458

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 03:03:52 PM »
Gary,

Thanks for the reply.  But if you remember, we've already exchanged several messages about your Studebaker, and you've sent me some info and lots of pictures.  My concern was that I know almost nothing about turbo chargers, and had asked you about the possibility of selling the car and engine separately.  If you'd be willing to do that, we might be able to make a deal for the car as a roller with all the drive-train except the engine.

Gifford Hawn

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:49:21 PM »
What ever came of the Firebird Dick J had for sale here?

Offline geh458

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »
What ever came of the Firebird Dick J had for sale here?

It's still for sale, he contacted me with a PM.  It would make a fine choice, but I'm partial to the old iron.
Gifford Hawn

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
Gifford,

Either Dicks's  Firebird or Gary's Studebaker would make excellent choices.  If GH would sell as a roller, since you like "Old Iron"  it would be much cheaper for you  than what you and I could discuss.  Everything I do is with 100% new parts (other than the Body).

Good luck and let me know how I can help  (PM reply sent with my cell #)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline geh458

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »
Well, some disappointing news, the bubble that was holding my dream of building/buying and LSR vehicle has burst.  I've been unable to locate another garage/shop to rent that was within my budget if I still wanted to be able to do something.  I will continue to think about a project, and when I retire in 19 months and move somewhere less expensive than Socal, and have a lot more time on my hands, I'll revisit my plans.

I did however consider several different coupes and sedans (including: '53 Studebaker, '41 Willy's, '51 Plymouth Business Coupe, etc) and will reconsider those, but I'm now leaning toward a GL with "G" or larger power.  But who knows what tomorrows dreams will bring.

I'll keep you posted.
Gifford Hawn

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
Gifford, race a bike.  You will be in the company of lots of other half broke folks.  You do not need a garage to build one.  Heck, I built a Matchless on the coffee table in the parlor years ago.  I do not do it now, though.  My wife had something to say about that.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
I built a BSA engine in an apartment ... kept everything in a closet ... assemble it in the parking lot ... and I was half broke.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 01:39:38 AM »
I do not ride---but I have CC on 2 bikes a 650 PP took us 2 years to break a 12 year old record and a 500 on an open record---had just as much drama and fun ---and they were a dam site easier to haul around and build than a Lakester :-o  ---the throphy was the same size  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!