Author Topic: Door net...  (Read 2591 times)

Offline manifest

Door net...
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:04:47 AM »
Just got our door/window net from Stroud.  It has eyelets along the bottom (6 if I counted correctly) where it will attach to the door bar.  I was planning on welding some 1/8" thick strap to the inner bottom of the door bar and just bolt the net to it.  Is this the preferred method or is there a better safer way to mount it.  I remember reading a post about this months ago but cant seem to find it now that I need to.

Thanks
Zach

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Door net...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:23:25 PM »
My Stroud  door net has a full width Rod Pocket (like a curtain rod pocket) alonf the entire top width and bottom width,,, I insert a 3/8" or 1/2"  rod in the rod pocket and the rod goes through a hole in tabs welded to my cage/chassis and used pins to keep it from coming out,,, let me check and see if I have a close up picture,, If I do I will post it.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »
If you zoom or expand these you can see the rod...i was talking about on my prior post,,, you can see how the net stays taunt/tight ...

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:25:55 PM »
One note of caution. Nylon webbing under high tension becomes very sensitive to sharp edges (sort of like a stretched rubber band can be cut with just a brush with a knife).

After you get it located where you want it pull it and push it as far as you can and make sure it cannot contact any sharp edges. If in doubt put some sort of edge guard over the sheet metal edge or what ever sharp object you find is within the stretch range of the net. Remember during a crash forces pushing against the webbing will be far higher than you can muster in testing so if gets any where close to a sharp edge or pointed object take steps to blunt that edge.

Also make the mounts so if any one mount point fails there are multiple backup fasteners holding it in place, or over engineer the mounts so there is no reasonable chance one of a pair will fail.

If you mount that rod at only each end, if one end pulls out the whole deal comes un-done.

Larry
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:29:36 PM by hotrod »

Offline manifest

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »
Thanks for the input but still kinda shooting in the dark for my application.   8 eyelets along the bottom gotta be mounted with bolts some how.

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »
If you zoom or expand these you can see the rod...i was talking about on my prior post,,, you can see how the net stays taunt/tight ...

Charles

Charles...maybe you should consider a swinging type roll bar leg restraint. The guys at Presion auto installed one for another Bville racer recently' acually it was an X brace and as he is a big guy he had trouble getting out. I believe they purchased them from Morrison.

JL222