Author Topic: Help needed for understanding SCTA rules  (Read 10365 times)

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
Help needed for understanding SCTA rules
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:14:15 AM »
...for this here guy who's mothertounge isn't English.

I could have send the questions to SCTA but
..mostly the questions stems from the fact that my commandment of the English language
is far from perfect, and I can't really expext SCTA to give me English lessons
.-)
but maybe you ever-helpful guys will

..maybe it's a good idea to post them here, as at least a couple of the questions does puzzle a
few other guys I've been in contact with , and here the answers are for all to see.

1)
..in motorcycle class VG / VF / VBF / VBG ,
( Vintage / bike engines from before 1956 )
SECTION 7.J.10 states that
"...electronic reactive ignition systems....are not allowed.."

My ignition system is as old school as it gets. Don't even have a centrifugal advance mechanism.
Advance is controlled by a cable running to the left handlebar.

but it does have a "point-less", magnet-triggered system to replace the old 'points.

Does that constitute a "electronic reactive ignition systems".
See: I have no idea what that means, and looking it up I still don't understand exactly what defines it.

2)
Section 1.M
is all about
...all drivers/riders shall have a current SCTA competition drivers license".
I do understand the words in the section but still can't comprehend the meaning.
What is that ?. Where do I get it ?....at the rookie orientation meeting or...?

3)
 on the sign-up sheet they ask for date of  "last med. exam. "
 ( not sure about the exact phrasing. Don't have it here.)
What's that ???....the last time I went to the doctor ( for what ? / -ever?)
or the last time I had a comprehensive physical check up ?...or ?

4)
Section 1.A.
"...an SCTA vehicle log-book and technical inspection form shall be presented for all technical inspections.."
Again I understand the words, and I do know what a log-book is in general,
but I don't understand what specific log-book is being referred to.

Any particular (SCTA ?) log-book ? Where do I get it ? What are the specifics for said book ?
What to put in it ?

Any help is highly appriciated.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:17:10 AM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Help needed for understanding SCTA rules
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
Question 2

A valid drivers lisc will get you a rookie authorization to make lisc passes at designated controlled speed when these are made satisfactorily you get them signed off by a starter and you take them do the proper official and you will get a speed based "SCTA lisc."

Question 4

I can only relate what we just did about a speed week entry.

We had to get a number assigned to us to pre enter Speed Week.

So we got got a bike number and when I asked about the( log book and chassis number ) ---I was told that I would get that at "Registration" when I picked up my "Packet" from having
preregistered
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:15:09 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:14:56 AM »
#2 - There is a licensing process that you have to go through. When you register and have all of your paperwork in place, you will need to make passes at the track at a given speed to demonstrate that you have the ability to control your vehicle. Each licensing pass you make gives you a license to operate at that speed. With bikes, I am not sure what the speeds are, but it is a pretty simple process.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline hitz

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
octane,
I don't think your electronic pick up is "reactive" but you should bring a set of points and the necessary parts to convert back just in case the scrutineers don't like what you have or if the electronic pick up fails.

Hoping to see you at Speed Week.

harv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 01:11:04 PM »
Let me, please, expand a bit on what Sparky told you about having a validf driver's license.

You must not only have a valid license from your home government (state, province, nation, whatever), but it must also show that you are licensed to operate a motorcycle (some places have a motorcycle "endorsement", some a separate license.

The reasoning behind the requirement is relatively simple -- the sanctioning body wants you to be knowledgeable in riding a motorcycle, not just driving a car.

So -- if you've got a license with M/C endorsement -- you'll be allowed to enter the licensing process.  Good luck and have fun!

PS  Sparky, do you have a M/C license -- or at least does your designated driver have it?  Just asking . . . :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:49:22 AM »
OK thank you , so far, for your help guys !

..I'll check with tech. inspection about the ignition set-up

..Got it.
Yep, sure I do have a motorcycle license.
I just checked my Danish/European Union license and it states ( even has a little picture-logo of a bike)
that I have held it since January 1976....so I guess I'm ok there

..Still not quite sure what the "log book" is all about.
Just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything ,
like showing up and the officials ask me "where is your log-book with all the xxx? information
cause' you can't participate without it.."
...or something like that.

..Now for the question of stating the date of  "last med. exam. " in the sign up application;
what do you guys writhe there ?

Thanks.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:12:43 AM »
The Log Book is a a record of your Runs and Modifications and changes to the racing Vehicle. For New Vehicles they are Purchased at the event($10). There is a serial Number on the Log Book Cover and the Book also comes with a Sticker that has a matching serial number, which is placed on the Chassis of the Race Vehicle. When your inspected, the Log book serial number and Chassis Sticker serial must match, to ensure they belong together. Race officials will make notes about your vehicle for inspection defects or corrections needed, and  sign offs on the corrections are made in the logbook.

The Date of your last Medical Examination is what they are looking for. So when was the last time you went to the doctor for a checkup to see if your healthy? Turn your head and cough, blood pressure, breathing normally, pee in the cup type stuff.

How's the aluminum welding coming along?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:14:28 AM by LSR Mike »
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »
I deal with a lot of europeans at work, so I understand how hard it is to translate the meaning.

LOG BOOK - It is a book that is used for information about your bike. You will buy one at the race.   The inspector will write (or log) any problems with your bike in the book and when you fix them they will write that it is fixed.  He will also write down (or log) any changes you have made to the bike.  There is a number on the book and a sticker/decal that is the same number.  the sticker is put on the bike.  When you are inspected at the race, they will look to see that the numbers are the same.  All of you races will be put in the book.  

It is the "history" of your bike.  Much like an airplane pilot or truck driver book where they write down their trips.

The book is called a "log book" and in it they write (or "log") things about your bike.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:46:02 PM by blackslax »
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »
Just a point of information for everyone.  When dealing with foreigners, try to think as though you  are explaining it to a 1st grader.  "scrutineers, M/C endorsement, etc. are meaningless to foreigners.  Also, slang is even worse; "make passes, sign offs, and Sparky saying

"A valid drivers lisc will get you a rookie authorization to make lisc passes at designated controlled speed when these are made satisfactorily you get them signed off by a starter and you take them do the proper official and you will get a speed based "SCTA lisc."

is confusing to me, and english is not my second or possibly third language.

Just try to think of your audience.  It is not that non-english speakers are dumb, you just need to use simple terminology without slang and abbreviations (they will be looking through google to see what the word "lisc" is).

Not trying to tick any mofo off with if you pick up on what  i am puttin down, so keep this on the D/L and no one will get it in a bunch over it. Then we can all lay down some sweet passes that push the envelope way out amd later we can suck some suds and bask in the glow.  (get my point)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:04:47 PM by blackslax »
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:16:38 PM »
Yeah, I'm down with that, bro.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Mac

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean. I have to translate most of what I say in my head before I open my mouth (being foreign born).

We're working on a Rookie Book for Speed Week / World Finals too (similar to what we have now for El Mirage). It has pictures too! It might be useful for explaining some of the above questions. I'd better get my a into g and get it finished.

Miriam

Offline mkilger

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
Miriam, your doing a great job, dont let  D3 over work you. like he does me  :-P

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 01:42:45 PM »
Mac --

That's a great idea!  We read the jargon and all know, after years, what it means.  I'm glad you're addressing the problem.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
I think I was just told that I am too old and dumb to be able to comunicate with a first grader  much less a "furiner"  lol  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »
Double post.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:00:34 PM by octane »

Antoine de Saint-Exupery