Author Topic: running up in class  (Read 16973 times)

Offline willieworld

running up in class
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:38:49 AM »
if i came to maxton with my 1000cc sc-pg bike how many classes could i actually run in without changing anything ---could i run  1000cc sc-pg  and pf and pbg and pbf  then move to the 1350 class and do the same thing then to the 1650 class and do the same thing or am i misreading the rules  thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: running up in class
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:04:22 AM »
Willie,

You have figured it out, you can run your Weeeellll ona Steeeeeek in 1KSCPG, 1KSCPF 1650SCPG, 1650SCPF and then repeat as necessary, however do not go in to the class Unlimited-Partial-Streamlined-Fuel-Class as that record even though  was set with a stock Hayabusa several years ago at 175+ mph is now reserved for "Streamliners" only..any questions please PM guthery.

J

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
With a sidecar you can run SC; but otherwise yes you can move up in cc's and/or classes with power adders that you don't have installed. Year end championships have been won that way.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
of course this rule does no apply at Bonneville where you can only run in the cc class that your bike actually is.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »
i understand bonneville and el mirage ---let me see if i understand maxton---i go there with my 1000cc sc-pg  and run  sc-pg   sc-pf   sc-pbg    sc-pbf   and do the some in 1350cc   1650cc   2000cc   3000cc    thats 16 records   --would i have enough time to do that at a 2 day event---and will the ecta honor my scta logbook and my scta engine seal     thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:31:36 PM »
Yes, Willie -- you can run the 16 (or whatever) classes, although whether you'd have enough time to get 'em all in is only a maybe.  Yes, ECTA will use and honor the SCTA logbook -- they use mine each and every time I compete there.  As for engine seals -- with all due respect, the ECTA doesn't measure engines, but rather runs on the premise that a racer won't cheat (we sure hope) just to get his name in the record books.  If you do cheat, how are you gonna to look at yourself in the mirror - knowing that you aren't honest.  If you arrive with a sealed engine we'll most likely bring other racers, from the ECTA, over to your bike to show them just what is an engine seal.  I've shown my logbooks with the "Engine sealed by Tom Evans" notation, just so they see what we're talking about.

So -- maybe I should offer some room in my trailer after we're done this fall at Bonneville, and bring your bike back to this side of the world.  It's be easier for you and Sheri, right?  And you could race at Maxton.  Yes, then there's the hassle of getting your rig back to Modesto for the winter - but we'll worry about that later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WildBro

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »
I think you could do the 16 at a June meet.  Otherwise 10-12 runs could be done at the other meets.  You will have to do a rookie pass @ 125, but if its on an open/low record, it will count.  Sunday close to noon the starting line gets bear, so you may fit 5 runs in from noon to 2pm (that may get you your 16 runs).  don't forget you can ride your bike from the finish to impound, and then ride it to the starting line.
They sell gas right at the track so you don't run out.  What do you think... a whole year of elmo racing in 2 days, sorry no "galatic records" thou  :-D

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:59:04 PM »
I think they ought to give out something special for open records -- maybe a yellow hat or something.  And the SCTA and ECTA ought to publish them all as Open -- so you don't have to spend time searching them out to run on them.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »
The open or minimum class records are available in the El Mirage Procedure manual or on the SCTA website under the El Mirage tab.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
i would rather have 1 record that stood for 20 years as to have 100 records that were to fall next year---at el mirage if you are racing for the points championship you have to run in the same frame class all year and you cant change engine classes at a single race--1 race 1 class ---there no open records --if no one has set the record then there will be a minimum ---points are for your fastest run of the meet---if you run under the record ( or minimum ) the run is divided by the record  then multiplied by 200  ( run 123  record 126 = .9761 X 200 =195 points---if you break the record ( or minimum ) you get 200 points + 25 + 1 point for every full mph over the record---also we compete for starting line position --the person with the most points runs first at the next meet --and club points ( 12 clubs competing )  there is much more but i got to get back to work   willie buchta

thanks dan you saved my typing finger
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
That's true, Dan.

But at SpeedWeek this year there're almost 20 MC entries running on Open records with no minimums.  And some of them ran in the past few years on practically the same Open records with only, say, a Gas or Fuel change.

I guess the goal is to ruin the cherry picking for future generations.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

LittleLiner

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »
I think they ought to give out something special for open records -- maybe a yellow hat or something.  And the SCTA and ECTA ought to publish them all as Open -- so you don't have to spend time searching them out to run on them.   Stan Back 

Gee wiz Stan . . that would spoil all the fun.   :-D   Besides it isn't that difficult.  Heck, I can do it so how hard could it be.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 06:00:40 PM »
I absolutely refuse to run on an open record !!!!  :-D   That is until I find one I can legally run in  LOL

At Loring late this month, because I will be running my "E" motor,, I think they are all open Records for all the E  Classic Altered Records,,,, But I will say my goal is to set those records a minimum of 10 MPH above the Mile Records at Maxton...

I have never run a 1.5 mile course,,, I am just guessing that the extra 1/2 mile should yield 10 more MPH ?

Anyone from Maxton who ran last year at  main please join in and let us know how many MPH you picked up in the 1.5 mile vs the 1 mile ??

Thanks

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
i would rather have 1 record that stood for 20 years as to have 100 records that were to fall next year---at el mirage if you are racing for the points championship you have to run in the same frame class all year and you cant change engine classes at a single race--1 race 1 class ---there no open records --if no one has set the record then there will be a minimum ---points are for your fastest run of the meet---if you run under the record ( or minimum ) the run is divided by the record  then multiplied by 200  ( run 123  record 126 = .9761 X 200 =195 points---if you break the record ( or minimum ) you get 200 points + 25 + 1 point for every full mph over the record---also we compete for starting line position --the person with the most points runs first at the next meet --and club points ( 12 clubs competing )  there is much more but i got to get back to work   willie buchta

thanks dan you saved my typing finger

Good points Willie.  Let me add that comparing the points system (Elmo and Maxton), championships (Elmo and Maxton), records for open classes (Maxton and Bonneville) is an interesting exercise but that does not imply that one is better, worse or whatever.  There are good reasons for the differences.  You have pointed them out.  El Mirage has competition for starting positions.  Maxton does not.  At Maxton it really is no advantage to have a start position and run earlier in the meet.  The conditions of the racing surface are virtually identical for all runs.  (concrete being more durable than dirt). And  . . as you said, El Mirage has club points championships.  Maxton does not.

One plus to ECTA allowing us to run-up in class is that after a record is set in what was previously an open class it has somewhat the same impact as there being a class minimum.  Example in point . . . When I set my ECTA record in an open class (H/BFSS) at 126 mph I got 352 points. (100 for setting the record plus 2 for each mph over the old record (126 - 0 = 126)  Consider what would have happened if, the year before, the recordholder in the next lower class (I/BFSS - 118) had decided after setting the I class record to change classes and run in H/BFSS.  If he had run 118 mph he would have set the H/BFSS record at 118.  Then I come along the next year and run 126.  Yes I do get the record, but I only get 116 points. (100 for the record and 2 for each mph over the old record (126 - 118 = 8  )

That other racer, by running up in class, effectively set a 'new minimum' for H/BFSS.  So you could argue that (in a way) running up in class helps to level the playing field for the points chase.  Of course this only works when the vast majority of open records have already been picked off. . . . .  In the mean time there are opportunities for someone willing to 'game the system' to really rack up a ton of points in one year.

imagine if someone showed up the first meet at maxton next year with a real honest to goodness top quality A/Gas Streamliner (open record) and for the five events that year run A/GS in March, A/BGS in April, A/BFS in June, AA/GS in September and AA/BGS in October.  (all open record classes)  If they run 250mph each event, that is 600 points per meet (100 for the record and 2 for each mph over the record (500) for 600 per meet and 3000 for the season.)  The highest total car points for the previous five seasons at Maxton never exceeded 2000.  In the streamliner example they could take the championship runnin only 4 events and maybe only 3 events.  (that leaves more open records for the next season)

Not good or bad, . . just how it is.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:05:07 PM by LittleLiner »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
Maybe setting one record a meet?  Leaving open and attainable records for the rest of the folks will bring new people into the sport.