Author Topic: The new Costella/Cunha J streamliner  (Read 21373 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: The new Costello/Cunha J streamliner
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
Hey, Rex -- Mr. Aero-speculator -- Just for the sake of the discussion, do you know the approximate date the Costella flat bottom vehicles started appearing -- and also when the Flatfire (and later iterations) showed up?  I know they've both been around since I started racing so I don't know the beginning of the story.

I'm just wondering if there were individual "Ah-HAH!" moments or if one predates the other and follows the design.

PS:  When setting the type for your badge Travis wanted to mis-spell and make you an "Aero-Speculum", but Nancy and I agreed that it probably isn't what you'd like.  Were we correct in that assumption?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline pookie

Re: The new Costella/Cunha J streamliner
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
COSTELLA's 1st landracing streamliner was a front wheel drive with the driver sitting in the back.... A good picture in your minds eye ,think Fred Larson's car... The body of the streamliner used to sit on the back roof of the shop... Jacks Neb II is by far the fastest car on the salt if you take the size of the engine class into consideration.. Jack has a picture on the work shop door of his favorite apprentice, his name is Albert "big al' Einstein...    Mike R.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:23:00 PM by Stainless1 »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
John, (Slim)
I am not a good historian for Jacks cars but I do remember that he had one of his present "Nebulus Therom" design cars at the salt in the late 90s when I first started to attend and as I remember it had a SBC in it and I think this is the car that presently has the flat motor in it. I think the first really successful car was the one that he ran with Rick Yacoucci. I remember when Rick set some of the lower class records, H and I class, that he ran at least 50 mph over the existing records! I also think that Jack's design preceded the Ron Main Flatfire effort. If I am incorrect I am sure that someone will straighten me out.

Slim, regarding the name tag please go with the "speculator" on the name tag sorry that my printing is getting illegible!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
Rex, watch out how that name tag gets spelled or what it says. Jon's name is spelled without the "h". Check out his signature on his postings. :evil: :evil: :evil: :-D

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 09:30:46 AM »
Relax, Rex -- your tag is all done, and I used a pair of "m"s and not two "t"s.  Don't worry.  Yes, my name has no aitch, but I won't get too goofy with yours -- although I did tell you, didn't I, that we were debating making your title "Aero-Speculum"?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »
NT II

first record at 198 mph in I/GS in 1996
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline nebulous

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »
Pork
You are wrong!! The first record NTII set was in 1992 at 239.696 My two club entry!! Look at the 2club list!Please
Jack
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

LittleLiner

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 01:01:03 PM »
Which NT cars will be on the Salt this year?  Which events? 

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
The pre entry list is posted on the SCTA web site. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »
I have timed almost every one of Jack's runs and remember the 200 record very well. Jack is a true hot rodder and is not afraid to try new things. Jack was walking tall that day. I remember his 1st streamliner at El Mirage and always liked the design. Being a front wheel drive Jack had some problems with the handling and after a short while he hung it on the wall and started the NT 1. I would have bought the first liner but he said no. Besides I am to tall to get in the car. But the design was really nice with clean lines. I look up to Jack as he is a racer all the way.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
Pork
You are wrong!! The first record NTII set was in 1992 at 239.696 My two club entry!! Look at the 2club list!Please
Jack
Oops....

Jack,
which engine size was this??????? This record is missing (for the NT II) on my list......

I thought you went with the NT III into the club, so as into the 300 chapter.....but I was always confused about the 92.....the NT III first appearance was after 92?....so I got "?" on my list behind this speed for car/engine

By the way....strange picture......missing the glasses with the welding spots (pickles) on  :-D

we have to talk a little bit at the salt....

In a photobook I done is a picture of Jack....title is  "Jack Costella....Innovator"
Remember very well when Jack went into the 300 chapter....World of Speed 97....in the rain....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:27:10 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 03:19:23 AM »
Jack was so kind and sent me a mail to fill the gap in my archive.

I was aware that the NT I was built in 1989, but after a short time he was retired and Jack built the NT II in 1991....to my understanding (for all the years) the car wasn't successful for a period up to 1996...but it was not the car who cause the trouble  :roll:

In 1996 Jack set a record in I/GS, in the same year Jim True drove the car in I/FS to a 201 and went into the 2 club. We broke the I/GS in 1996 and the I/FS in 1997. Jim and Mary True took the records back to the NT II - at last in 2001 when Jim also set a FIA and was the first (official) over 400 km/h with 1 litre engine.

Back to the record in 1992, when Jack went into the club......this record was set with 1100 cc blown engine....means in the next (higher) engine class and also blown....

So the NT II was not always only running in the "I" class in his beginning.

Now my list in the archive is clear like mud  :-D

Thanks, Jack, to get my archive straight.
Pork Pie

Offline nebulous

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
Rex
I think Ron Main and me showed up with flat bottoms at about the same time.Although our inseam might be different! Jack
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline jacksoni

Re: The new Costello/Cunha J streamliner
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
First my apologies to Jack for mis-spelling his name! It is Costella from now on! Regarding Jack's design philosophy, I may not completely agree with it, but as Jack said, it is pretty hard to argue with the results! And remember many of the records that were set by Jack's cars were by over 50 mph over the existing record!!! Also there are some other non Costella cars that follow Jacks flat bottom design that are going pretty fast, Potett and Main's 436 comes to mind.

Rex
[/quotI like the 50 mph reference. More like a 100 some times though.  I set the "first" I/GS record in 1984 running 145.5 on a 145 minimum. :-) Had taken 2 pistons out of my 4cylinder 2 liter, running short course only, second gear of 4 as the car was geared for well over 200. Then put them back in, went 193 and were changing to some new junk yard gears when it rained. Later with blower managed 250 record that Ron Main (not sure who was driving) put 50+ on, 17years later.  Fun history. And Mr Costella definitely builds some fast stuff.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »
I thought this thread could use some visual clarity!  :-D

40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.