Author Topic: New kid on the block  (Read 2773 times)

Offline uncle larry

• New folks
New kid on the block
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »
Hello to all at ECTA.  Have been a spectator for most of your meets since you began and thought it was time to thank all for your many kindnesses during the years so have finally enrolled on this blog.  Still trying to figure it all out, but I am from Stanfield, NC and grew up in the racing community.  Have followed landspeed racing since my Hot Rod magazine days in the early 50's (I'm 64 now).  Grew up playing in Ralph Earnhardt's yard and went to school with Dale and his sisters and was working radio in the pits when Fireball got killed at Charlotte.  Tried racing myself...both sports cars at VIR and oval track at Hickory.  Had two big drawbacks in both types...no money and no talent.  Still enjoy the road races at Road Atlanta, but gave up on the ovals a few years back and now just follow you folks.  I find that what I always liked about motorsports of any kind is the good people involved and of all I have had experience with...the ECTA racers seem to me to be the most dedicated.  It still stuns me the kinds of speed being attained at Maxton by competitors racing for nothing but the love of it, and it's such a treat to watch.  My best to you all...and I look forward to the September meet.  If you post a reply and I don't get back to you right away, it's because I'm still figuring out how all this forum stuff works.  Be patient, I'm old and burnt and slow and mostly in the way these days...but I'll get it.....thanks.....Larry.....

Offline White Monster

Re: New kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum Larry !!!
 :-D
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »
Welcome Larry. Ive never been to Maxton, I do Texas Mile and Bonneville. Ever think about going to Bonneville?? By the way, in this sport you are middle aged, not old. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline uncle larry

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »
Hi back to Fred and Steve...have not figured out how to answer individually, so trying this.  For Fred...no, have not been to Bonneville yet, but see the floating mountain in my sleep every night.  Someday I'll figure out a way.  And Steve, I noticed that you are from Daytona Beach.  I have a friend near there, Sig Haugdaul, Jr.  Sig's dad was the first to break 3 miles a minute on the beach at Daytona in the Wisconsin Special in 1922.  Sig Jr. was in his mother's arms as an infant when Frank Lockhart got killed there in 1926.  A most interesting man at 87 now...he'll get a kick that I'm conversing with you folks.    Thanks to you both for replying...I'll get the details on how to post to individuals as time goes by.  I'm slow...dropped too many transmissions on my head as a youth.

Offline t russell

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:27:13 PM »
Welcom Larry.I'm in St.pauls nc.My mom is from Richfield. Dad is from near norwood.
terry

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:17:17 PM »
Hi and welcome Larry,,,

I am in the Midway/Welcome NC area , just South of Winston Salem,,, glad you joined our forum,,,

I am not sure where Stanfield NC is ?

Tuesday nights at 9pm our time we have chat,,, from main page look to link on right and join us,, it's a good exchnage of info and fun

Charles
Venable Rods & Racing
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 08:37:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum Larry!

I'm in Charlotte NC, not too far from you as the crow flies.

Planning on putting a car together to race at Maxton? Want to invest in someone who is? (I saw him first! LOL!)

Jeff
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 12:51:59 PM »
Welcome Larry, There's a bunch of us here in NC. I'm over in Archer Lodge (just east of Raleigh) but I have a dear friend who just moved up the road from you to Locust. Look forward to meeting you.