Author Topic: Maxtn June 2010 reports  (Read 19231 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Maxtn June 2010 reports
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 02:29:55 PM »
Gotta love the Dean's orange bike ... looks like it is show room fresh ...

Offline Warp12

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
My first time out with the "Iron Dog" ... 1350 Buell engine ... 4 runs 142-145-146-147 .... lots of power down stairs but falls on its face at the big end where I need it ... lost the tach on the 3 run ... who knows of a tach that won't shake it self apart ...

Looks great, Joe! At the same time...I bet you are pretty bruised up from riding those rails!  :-D

I'd love to see some pics of the bike at speed... :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
Let's see -- the last update from me, although I hope that Debbie gets the results posted soon.

Randy's turbo developed a bit of bearing slop yesterday, it turned out.  He said that today he removed the air cleaner and saw the shaft with about a half-inch or so of play -- so he's out for the duration.  And he'll not go to SpeedWeek after all.  He's already taken care of the room that he had reserved -- Scott Griswold has it, so don't go pestering Randy.

I saw Joe riding his bike down the access road, then talked to him at the line -- where his voice was about three octaves higher.  Oww, that bike must have some lovely qualities -- and ride comfort is NOT one of them.

Dean Sabat made pass after pass, and I already have listed his good speeds.  It's amazing how he keeps his cool and doesn't get flustered or flushed (with the heat).  Good weekend for him on both the 1000 (which had the fairing on it by the end of today) and the SGR "gas" turbo 'Busa.

Todd Dross got a couple or six records on the sidecar bike.  I don't think Debbie made any runs this weekend.  TJ Cannon did, as I told you earlier, and damn, I'm sorry I didn't get a photo of his street ride.  It's a Honda 250 Rebel -- with fat old whitewall tires and hand shifter (old piston, no less) and foot clutch.  It's got character, for sure.

Neither the 531 nor 55 roadsters were running at the end of the day.  I saw Joe Ledford's orange #55 getting pushed off the line earlier -- with Joe in the push truck -- so I'm guessing his boy or pit lacvkey was at the wheel for some seat time and maybe licensing passes.

The 7600 belly tank ran about 3-4 mph short of 200.  That's the car with the Audi 2.15L motor in it.  They'll have it at Speedweek so you're all going to have a chance to see it in person.

No, Al didn't retire, for sure.  He started me both yesterday and today.  He gets a break now and then -- but did yeoman duty at the line and didn't lose his temper more than once or twice (well, maybe once or twice per hour) -- and then I think it was just to stay in practice.

Terry Russell drove Lawson's Thunderbird to a best of 190 -- and he said that Lawson might have gone 195, but why hurt it just.  Whatever -- sounds like the clutch is no longer a problem.

The meet ended about 1.20 or so -- when we ran out of folks wanting to make another run.  Think a few cool thoughts for the folks that have to clean up and put away everything.  It was in the mid-80s, at least -- but felt much hotter by the end of running.  Joe Timney reported Density Altitude yesterday at over 4000 feet -- and about 1500 or so this morning.  Back to 3000++ this afternoon when we quit.

We're now northbound on I-77, north of Winston-Salem -- and it's only 93F.  We saw about 100 in the megalopolis, though, so summer ain't over yet.

We'll catch you later, folks.  Over and out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
Ahhh, what a weekend! 5 passes on Saturday with a stop in the AC trailer to shed sweaty leathers and download data between each pass. If you can stand the heat...it doesn't get any better than that!

My data showed the bike was pulling hard on the first pass up to 14.3 psi boost then boost loss and full rich condition. I thought the engine was stalling from full rich condition and causing the boost loss and tried to fix by tuning the map. Turns out the turbo was seizing and just got worse after each next pass. I rolled it out of the trailer this morning and heard the bad turbo bearing during idle and shut it down. Fortunately, no parts went into the motor and it's fine. I will rebuild the exhaust to hold the genuine Garrett GT1548 I have in the shop and toss this cheap GT1544 knockoff in the trash where it belongs!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 05:21:38 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
The rigid ride is not even noticable on the race course. I cannot say the same relating to the return road. Have to ride like it is a rigid Harley (which is what it is). You raise your chassis off the bike chassis anticipating the jolt from the pot holes. Timing is everything.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 05:40:51 PM »
The rigid ride is not even noticable on the race course. I cannot say the same relating to the return road. Have to ride like it is a rigid Harley (which is what it is). You raise your chassis off the bike chassis anticipating the jolt from the pot holes. Timing is everything.

Just don't sit on your data logger!! :wink:

Your bike looked and sounded great Joe  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:45:09 PM by Rchop »
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline t russell

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
The clutch issues are gone for the Blackbird super coupe.I wish I had ran 190mph I went 175+. Lawson ran 184+.
It was the first time I have driven the car my 152 pass dont count :roll:.There is more there but bad air/new trans& clutch+ the heat.With not much time before Loring.The smart thing was to park it after 3 passes.
terry

Offline sabat

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
It was great to see everyone, sorry more folks couldn't make it. The heat brought out the team spirit in folks, with water available all over, cold cloths, gel neck wraps, Gatorade, umbrellas, canopies, sunblock, etc. Thanks to all, especially Mama Bear Murf  :wink:

I had a fun meet, made a bunch of passes on the freshly built NA ZX10, thanks Sir Forstall for the kind words. Thanks also to Competition CNC's Jim Gilnack for the nice cylinder head. It may get a bottle someday.

The Guthrie Gas bike was rock solid, and felt fine naked. Had a lot of fun, thanks to Todd, Josh and Deb, and of course Scott, for making it possible.

Congrats to all those who beat the heat and went fast, set records, and kicked Alfa Romeo.

Dean

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »
Randy the bike looked good and sounded good off the line,,, sorry you toasted the Turbo.... will you have the new Turbo in for Loring ?  Hope to see you there in 4 weeks !!!

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
Joe,

The Iron Dog is awesome,, looks cool, sounds cool and goes pretty darn fast,,, leave that gearing alone, it should be good for about 160 at Loring,,,

See you in 4 weeks.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2010, 09:07:39 PM »
Another great ECTA event. Thanks to everyone Joe, Keith, Tonya, Donna and all of the volunteers that make these events happen. I had a great time this weekend, playing and learning. My Siverado ran pretty much what it ran last month. Best was 118.8xx, Just being able to run down the track was cool enough for me! I am glad that Walt achieved his goal this weekend. Watching his build diary has encouraged me to get mine built. I am still gathering pieces and parts for my '29 Coupe.  I hope to have it together to run next year.

See ya'll in Sept.
Bud

Offline Warp12

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »
It was great to see everyone, sorry more folks couldn't make it. The heat brought out the team spirit in folks, with water available all over, cold cloths, gel neck wraps, Gatorade, umbrellas, canopies, sunblock, etc. Thanks to all, especially Mama Bear Murf  :wink:

I had a fun meet, made a bunch of passes on the freshly built NA ZX10, thanks Sir Forstall for the kind words. Thanks also to Competition CNC's Jim Gilnack for the nice cylinder head. It may get a bottle someday.

The Guthrie Gas bike was rock solid, and felt fine naked. Had a lot of fun, thanks to Todd, Josh and Deb, and of course Scott, for making it possible.

Congrats to all those who beat the heat and went fast, set records, and kicked Alfa Romeo.

Dean

Congrats Dean. Nice riding, as usual.  :-)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »
Thanks Charles, I'm puting Loring on my list for next year.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline sabat

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »
I forgot to say that I appreciate the vote of confidence Wild Bill. I kinda like these Busas... See you in Loring pal   :cheers:

Thanks Shane, missed you guys.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »
     Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post all the reports and Jon for providing means [in addition to his own reports].  Makes missing the meets almost bearable.

Ed