Author Topic: Traveling to Loring  (Read 10833 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

Re: Traveling to Loring
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 03:38:47 PM »
We always managed to go back south at like 4-5 AM , so I've never seen these actual cruisers sitting roadside like Chev55 did.  My negative experiences were all northbound in the afternoon  or evening, when there is some traffic. The locals obey the speed limits pretty much right to the letter at that time is my observance, it's us furriners what is driving all crazy. I wonder if they do this stuff during the Sno Mo season in the winter, as it seems like kind of bad local PR to hassle the tourists in an area needs outside $$$$.
Either way, be safe...Drive fast on the Runway...
Bob W, The LTA Guy, stranger in a strange land

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:25 AM »
Coming back from Loring late Monday afternoon last year I passed 6 cruisers set up trapping speeders in 50 miles ... they were set up right where the speed limit changes down .... I don't speed on single lane roads so it wasnt a problem for me. I am retired NYPD and I did this for a living. You can call it anything you want. It is a local source of revenue for the villages and the targets are out of state plates ... If you are registered in Maine it explains the warning, no ticket deal ... Locals get warned / all others fill the village budget short fall.

Sorry, the state no longer shares revenue from tickets in Maine.  That is one reason they give out so many warnings.  Fines have gotten incredibly expensive. 
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline blackslax

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »

Enjoy US1, don't miss "The Planets/Solar system" roadside the length of the trek.
Bob W,  PR Guy  LTA

Completely forgot about that.  I see them all of time.  They follow route 1 from Van buren (North of caribou) to Houlton (downtown). It is a scale model of the solar system.  Each has a plaque on it with information about that planet.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »

Enjoy US1, don't miss "The Planets/Solar system" roadside the length of the trek.
Bob W,  PR Guy  LTA

Completely forgot about that.  I see them all of time.  They follow route 1 from Van buren (North of caribou) to Houlton (downtown). It is a scale model of the solar system.  Each has a plaque on it with information about that planet.

Didn't realize it started in Van Buren, always thought I had missed it along the way it is interesting.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:58:16 AM by tedgram »

Offline Matt Beil

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
Hello everyone.

For those who were at Loring last year and may remember me... I am Matt, the paramedic on the EMS crew that was covering the event last year.  Everyone at Aroostook Fire Protection District 1 look forward to meeting newcomers and seeing those who were here last year.

I thought I would help out clear up some of the things I have been reading about the area with my personal local experience.

The solar system model spans from Presque Isle to Houlton; with the Sun being housed at the University of Maine at Presque Isle and Pluto being housed at the tourist information center in Houlton.  I won't take the fun out of finding the others.  This is the worlds largest scale model of the solar system.  You won't see it too well if you are driving 80, which takes me to the whole speed trap thing.  Maine State Police and the Sheriff's Department use Rt. 1 as their main thoroughfare to and from the barracks.  It is ten times more likely that you will find them on this road than any other.  It is not an increased presence due to the event.  As far as the local municipalities singling out the out of town travelers, (and I don't believe they are) You can avoid Presque Isle Police Department and Caribou Police Department by bypassing these towns if you make a right at the fork in Mars Hill.  Those interested may PM me and I will assist with detailed instructions on how to bypass Caribou and Presque Isle.  Bypassing these towns is also quicker and only requires 1 more turn.   Remember that each town has a speed zone for safety not profit.  Just take it easy and enjoy the scenery.  We look forward to seeing you here and want everyone to stay safe.

BTW keep in mind that if you turn off in Mars Hill, you will not get to see Jupiter, Mars, Earth, Venus, and Mercury.

http://www.umpi.maine.edu/info/nmms/solar/

Matt

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »
Hey Matt! Looking forward to seeing you & your awesome crew again this year!  :cheers:
We were so impressed with everyone last year! You sure do help us feel comfortable pushing the limits and knowing we have top notch assistance if needed! The efforts everyone put in last year by doing things we didn't even think of helped us to stay covered & racing! Thank you so much!

Also thanks for the solar system web site! That is very cool! We'll be on the lookout! :)

Debbie
(Twin Jugs Racing)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline blackslax

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 06:32:38 PM »
Guess I stand corrected.

Thanks for the link Matt.  I was told it started in van buren.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com

Offline Asub1

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
Just a note...once you get back into the Loring complex it's confusing to a newcomer...we got there before the signs were out.  For future reference...

GPS coordinates (if I did it right) :

N 46 degrees 56.070
W 067 degrees 52.988

or use New Mexico Rd in the town of Limestone as the address.