Author Topic: Traveling to Loring  (Read 10896 times)

Offline Lowbolt1

• New folks
Re: Traveling to Loring
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
I wrote up this info to help the racers coming from the south to Loring...I'll have printouts at Maxton this weekend. Bob Wanner, how about posting directions from Caribou to the track.

Tips on traveling to Caribou For LTA Event

Heading North from the Delaware Memorial Bridge:

*NJ Turnpike North
*Exit 10-take 287 beltway West- it loops around congested area
Note: trailer restriction on Garden State Expressway
Second Note: I95 thru New York has tolls every 5 miles and has ridicules traffic…worst than where I’m sending you. You do not want to go over the George Washington Bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway...if you do-GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!
[/i][/i]
*Exit 59- North 87
*Exit 15- East 87/287 East- New York City
*Cross the Tappen Zee Bridge
*Exit 8-287 East “White Plains-Rye”
*Exit 9A-684 East Brewster
*Exit 9E- 84 East-Danbury
*90 East- 84 ends into it- NH, Maine, Boston
*Exit 11A—495 North- NH, Maine, Boston
*95 North- 495 ends into it
*Exit 44-295N ( 295 will eventually dump back to 95
Note: between Bangor and Houlton there is NOTHING!!! Fill up in Bangor!!! Travel time will be 1.5 hours
Second Note: AT mile marker 251, there is a scenic Outlook of Mt. Katahdin- HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT- plus a good place to stretch
*Exit 302 RT1 North Houlton- Presque Isle- follow the speed limit or bring a lot of cash!!! You have been warned!
Note: After 26 miles on RT1 North you will come to a small town of Mars Hill. At the Mobil station RT1 splits-you want to follow RT1, bear left.

Note to drivers and riders…you can send the crew and fly into Presque Isle!!!
Sure hope this helps.
joe

Offline Lowbolt1

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 01:13:47 PM »
I wrote up this info to help the racers coming from the south to Loring...I'll have printouts at Maxton this weekend. Bob Wanner, how about posting directions from Caribou to the track.

Tips on traveling to Caribou For LTA Event

Heading North from the Delaware Memorial Bridge:

*NJ Turnpike North
*Exit 10-take 287 beltway West- it loops around congested area
Note: trailer restriction on Garden State Expressway
Second Note: I95 thru New York has tolls every 5 miles and has ridicules traffic…worst than where I’m sending you. You do not want to go over the George Washington Bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway...if you do-GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!
[/i][/i]
*Exit 59- North 87
*Exit 15- East 87/287 East- New York City
*Cross the Tappen Zee Bridge
*Exit 8-287 East “White Plains-Rye”
*Exit 9A-684 East Brewster
*Exit 9E- 84 East-Danbury
*90 East- 84 ends into it- NH, Maine, Boston
*Exit 11A—495 North- NH, Maine, Boston
*95 North- 495 ends into it
*Exit 44-295N ( 295 will eventually dump back to 95
Note: between Bangor and Houlton there is NOTHING!!! Fill up in Bangor!!! Travel time will be 1.5 hours
Second Note: AT mile marker 251, there is a scenic Outlook of Mt. Katahdin- HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT- plus a good place to stretch
*Exit 302 RT1 North Houlton- Presque Isle- follow the speed limit or bring a lot of cash!!! You have been warned!
Note: After 26 miles on RT1 North you will come to a small town of Mars Hill. At the Mobil station RT1 splits-you want to follow RT1, bear left.

Note to drivers and riders…you can send the crew and fly into Presque Isle!!!
Sure hope this helps.
joe

to the travlin racers there are a few small towns after bangor called old town and lincoln they are about five miles off the highway, fuel stops food,i know lincoln has a 24hr irvine station, as for nothing but scenary after lincoln
you are rolling all the way to houlton.

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »
thanks for the directions Joe.

I remember last year there was major construction on one fo the highways which should be avoided at all costs. Has that construction been completed? Is there any new construction/detours that people traveling up there this year should be aware to avoid?

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
to the travlin racers there are a few small towns after bangor called old town and lincoln they are about five miles off the highway, fuel stops food,i know lincoln has a 24hr irvine station, as for nothing but scenary after lincoln
you are rolling all the way to houlton.
[/quote]

Lincoln is a pain, too far off the interstate.  about 30 miles up there is Medway with a filling station just off the highway. 
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline NS_Rider

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 03:17:05 PM »
Besides watching your speed through Maine, watch out for the Maine D.O.T. They have been thick the last month, just south of Bangor, pulling over all types of personal trailers. On top of the usual Big Rigs.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 09:30:30 PM »
Avoid the border at all costs ... potential for body cavity searches ... I cannot emphasis the speed limit on US 1 enough ... I escaped but I was just lucky as the Sheriff already had his victim when I passed ... speed limit fluctuates for apparent reason other to trap speeders.

Offline Underdog

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 09:35:08 AM »
Is diesel fuel available in those fuel stops???

Offline tedgram

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
Is diesel fuel available in those fuel stops???

Yes, Diesel is available!

Offline Underdog

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 11:27:58 AM »
Do I need to rob a bank or bring my 1st born for paymemt? On "E" it will take 140gal.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »
Do I need to rob a bank or bring my 1st born for paymemt? On "E" it will take 140gal.

Diesel is between $3.03 and $3.09 per gallon. I would fill up in Bangor.

Offline tedgram

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:01:09 PM by tedgram »

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
Avoid the border at all costs ... potential for body cavity searches ... I cannot emphasis the speed limit on US 1 enough ... I escaped but I was just lucky as the Sheriff already had his victim when I passed ... speed limit fluctuates for apparent reason other to trap speeders.

OK folks - as someone from the county, let me set the record straight.  Route 1 is not a spped trap.  the speed changes are designed to slow traffic where people live, where many trucks enter the main road, etc.  The reason there are so many cops on Rt. 1 is the fact that both the state police and sheriff department barracks and the county jail are in houlton, and since rt 1 is the fastest way there....lots of cops.  Just tell them where you are going if you get stopped and ask them to spread the world to the crew to come on over and they will be good about it.

As far as the border,  missing the exit for route 1 and then for the houlton airport and ending up at the border can be a huge pain in the ass.  If you do, turn around BEFORE you pass the US customs or they could spend a long time going through your stuff.  they figure that if you are numb enough to miss both exits, you must be on something. the last Phish concert they nailed some guys with a truck full of shrooms that ended up at the border. 
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline sdwarf36

• New folks
  • Fear no tree.
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »

Diesel is between $3.03 and $3.09 per gallon. I would fill up in Bangor.
Glad I'm running on veggie!  8-)

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »
Obviously (probably) nobody on this list besides BlackSlax has been up and down US 1 the last three years than me. I was stopped twice in that time, once on the bottom end just north of Houlton, and once in Presque Isle. I was let go with a warning both times.
Like the man said, the speed limits are because the road goes through small towns with private homes (read Kids) close on the road. You'll go from 55 to 35 and less, most notably in P.I., very quickly. Decelerating that fast,  especially if you have a load/trailer and were already over 55, is a task, at least.
I  would not characterize these situations as speed traps in the classic sense as much as maybe something you might not be prepared for after running 80ish on the Maine Turnpike for 4 hours.
Enjoy US1, don't miss "The Planets/Solar system" roadside the length of the trek.
Bob W,  PR Guy  LTA

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »
Coming back from Loring late Monday afternoon last year I passed 6 cruisers set up trapping speeders in 50 miles ... they were set up right where the speed limit changes down .... I don't speed on single lane roads so it wasnt a problem for me. I am retired NYPD and I did this for a living. You can call it anything you want. It is a local source of revenue for the villages and the targets are out of state plates ... If you are registered in Maine it explains the warning, no ticket deal ... Locals get warned / all others fill the village budget short fall.