Author Topic: Traveling to Loring  (Read 10889 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Traveling to Loring
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:52:22 AM »
I wrote up this info to help the racers coming from the south to Loring...I'll have printouts at Maxton this weekend. Bob Wanner, how about posting directions from Caribou to the track.

Tips on traveling to Caribou For LTA Event

Heading North from the Delaware Memorial Bridge:

*NJ Turnpike North
*Exit 10-take 287 beltway West- it loops around congested area
Note: trailer restriction on Garden State Expressway
Second Note: I95 thru New York has tolls every 5 miles and has ridicules traffic…worst than where I’m sending you. You do not want to go over the George Washington Bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway...if you do-GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!
[/i][/i]
*Exit 59- North 87
*Exit 15- East 87/287 East- New York City
*Cross the Tappen Zee Bridge
*Exit 8-287 East “White Plains-Rye”
*Exit 9A-684 East Brewster
*Exit 9E- 84 East-Danbury
*90 East- 84 ends into it- NH, Maine, Boston
*Exit 11A—495 North- NH, Maine, Boston
*95 North- 495 ends into it
*Exit 44-295N ( 295 will eventually dump back to 95
Note: between Bangor and Houlton there is NOTHING!!! Fill up in Bangor!!! Travel time will be 1.5 hours
Second Note: AT mile marker 251, there is a scenic Outlook of Mt. Katahdin- HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT- plus a good place to stretch
*Exit 302 RT1 North Houlton- Presque Isle- follow the speed limit or bring a lot of cash!!! You have been warned!
Note: After 26 miles on RT1 North you will come to a small town of Mars Hill. At the Mobil station RT1 splits-you want to follow RT1, bear left.

Note to drivers and riders…you can send the crew and fly into Presque Isle!!!
Sure hope this helps.
joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline tedgram

Re: Traveling to Loring
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »
  Perfect directions, I always take the Tappen Zee going both ways.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »
Excellent directions Joe, Thanks.
I'd also add beware Friday and Sunday nights in the Boston area , they call it "Beach traffic" You may also consider taking I-290 North off I-90 instead of following it straight to I-495. It's a bit straighter, ends at I-495 anyway, and keeps you a little farther away from that Boston deal I mentioned. Check it out on a Map, like Google.
As far as directions to the track from lodgings south....
Presque Isle is farther south, US 1 leads from it through Caribou to "Access rd 89" East.
Follow that about 6 or so miles to Commerce Center rd, make a left. Intersection I believe also known as Cote Corners, has a bunch of Junk military vehicles on the North East corner. Follow Commerce Center North about a mile to South Carolina rd Left  turn, then New Mexico, right turn. At end bear left to track entrance. Not right like last year.
Also, if you are camping or otherwise need not go through Presque Isle/Caribou, consider taking the right Fork out of Mars Hill, up the other US 1 to the East. Follow it all the way up to Limestone, Rt 89 West to that same Commerce Center Rd intersection. Less local  congestion and  speed limited areas.
Hope I've not confoosed youse-all ?
Bob W Map Dude LTA

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »
Yeah, good directions Joe.

Now, where is the Delaware Memorial Bridge and how do I get there? I figure it is in Delaware, the state is so small it would be hard to miss.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »
To ammend the directions a bit

When coming into Presque Isle, if someone could swing right on State Street and grab my trash that would be great. (You can't miss it) :-D
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
If someone were to fly to the venue what is the nearest or best airport to fly into?
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

LittleLiner

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
Yeah, good directions Joe.
Now, where is the Delaware Memorial Bridge and how do I get there? I figure it is in Delaware, the state is so small it would be hard to miss.    DW 

Dan  -  Del Mem bridge is just south of Wilmington DE.  It crosses the Delaware River so should be easy to find although the river is hard to see since it is always covered with water.    :-)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
David,
The nearest airport is in Presque Isle but Bangor is cheaper but 2 1/2 hours to the south...both have rental cars. Presque Isle is a much small airport.
joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
David,
The nearest airport is in Presque Isle but Bangor is cheaper but 2 1/2 hours to the south...both have rental cars. Presque Isle is a much small airport.
joe

Thanks for the help Joe.

Dave
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline tedgram

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
David,
joe

Think you will have to change to a small plane in Bangor to get to Presque Isle also.

Offline blackslax

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »
David,
joe

Think you will have to change to a small plane in Bangor to get to Presque Isle also.

Can't be done.  Only flight ot Presque Isle is from boston
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 09:53:30 PM »
David,
joe

Can't be done.  Only flight ot Presque Isle is from boston

Interesting! How many flights a day?

Offline blackslax

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »
Week days 3 and weekends 2.  Don't quote me on that.  It changes frequently.  Heck, a few years ago we even had Delta announce that they would pick up service, and before they even started, anounce that they would be dropping it ASAP.  They contractually had to do for a think three months.

US Airway is the only provider.  Bangor has more options, but you have a 3 hour drive to Loring. 
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 08:13:08 AM »
FWIW

Think it is at the last toll on I 95 in Maine, if you pay your toll then get off to fuel up pay attention to the small signs that say to pick up a voucher if you are getting back on I 95.............no major disaster but the toll to get back on with out it would have bought another gallon of fuel to get you another 10 -15 miles on down the road.......yup, we found out last year.

We noticed even the locals stayed at or under the limit on Rt 1, did the same and had no problems.  Heard one didn't and did  :-D

Everyone have a good trip, stay safe, have fun, and go fast.

Ed Purinton

Offline tedgram

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »
FWIW

Think it is at the last toll on I 95 in Maine, if you pay your toll then get off to fuel up pay attention to the small signs that say to pick up a voucher if you are getting back on I 95.............no major disaster but the toll to get back on with out it would have bought another gallon of fuel to get you another 10 -15 miles on down the road.......yup, we found out last year.

We noticed even the locals stayed at or under the limit on Rt 1, did the same and had no problems.  Heard one didn't and did  :-D

Everyone have a good trip, stay safe, have fun, and go fast.

Ed Purinton

Pays to have a radar detector and be alert, you pass through very small towns that have reduced limits.