Author Topic: b gas roadster build  (Read 17213 times)

Offline cheap-n-dirty

Re: b gas roadster build
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »
old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiam every time

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »

Great looking roadster and thanks for fotos.
 Did you run or just get pre-inspected.

JL222 :cheers:

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 06:29:35 PM »
We just got it preinspected.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 06:37:59 PM »
How did your pre-inspection go? 

Offline cheap-n-dirty

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
The tech inspectors only asked that I seal up the drivers compartment some more to keep any fire from getting in there and to help keep out any dust. Overall they were very pleased in the way the car was constructed. I am happy that it turned out so well. The help from this place and from others made it easier to get things right with me being in Idaho and not having other people to check on my work.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 02:02:21 AM »
From one who has tried it your way, please take the time to add an enclosure from your windscreen around the roll cage. At El Mirage you won't make a 1/4 mile before you can't see anything. The dust will roll up behind your car and right into the cockpit. After you have made one the windscreen will cause a vacuum effect pull all the dust in from the bottom. Best bet is to have a helmet with forced air into it and use a "parker pumper" type air pump. I made my own.

If you run at El Mirage without a surround around the cage and find what I said is true; take off the windscreen for the next pass and you won't have a problem. At Bonniville it didn't matter...PS I like what you did to old car and glad to see it back. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Online Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »
J. D. --

Wish we had been told that a week ago.  Ran with a 3/4 windscreen Sunday morning (after being advised by a genuine Barbee that we might have trouble) and you, and he, were completly right.  Lots of solutions in addition to what you offered.  Joliffe runs about a 1/4 screen, Barbees run with NACA ducts on tonneau, been told that BRM has holes at the bottom of the front screen.  All we know is you're gonna have BIG problems at El Mirage running front and side screens on a tonneau.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mkilger

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »
 glad the inspection went well   :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:47:02 PM by mkilger »

Online Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »
Other things that keep obscuring our vision are those dammed stickers Lee Kennedy keeps putting on the windshield.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 06:39:51 PM »
JD....do you have a thread on how to build a "pumper"...or is there one I missed?  Thanks!  BB
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
Cheap 'n Dirty.....car looks great!  Keep up the good work.....  I am just beginning to work on my tonneau cover .090...thanks to help from mkilger and adding a dragster windshield that will run along beside the cage.  Like yours, my interior is totally sealed.  Stop by and say "hi" at B'ville in the SDRC pits.  This site has been a tremendous help at updating my car, eventhough I thought I had all bases covered.....thanks to everyone!  Bill
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
De Oppresso Liber

Online Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 07:51:28 PM »
DSR -- Sent you a couple pms.

Stan

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »
DSR. I bought a boat bilge air pump at a swap meet. Fitted it with PVC reducer from Home Depot and attached a 3" hose from McMaster-Carr. Made a 1/4" diameter "Tee" bar on the other end threading all three ends, Slid the short sides thru 2 holes on the pump and put on nylon locking nuts. The long side was decided upon finding a 4"  OD diameter air filter from Kragen auto parts. Made a circular cover from aluminum the diameter of the air filter with a 1/4" hole in the center. Held the filter on with another 1/4" nylon locking nut. My total cost was about $50. Now I need a fire proof cover for the hose before I run again...Again from McMaster Carr...... Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 02:41:49 AM »
JD...Thanks for the info.  I will begin gathering parts for mine.  I appreciate you taking the time to go over everything.  It's 1AM and I have another 2 hours worth of work to do, so better get going....Have a Great Day!  BB
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
De Oppresso Liber