Author Topic: Motorcycle Dimension Question:  (Read 3094 times)

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
Motorcycle Dimension Question:
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »

I need to know for any of those willing to help, some dimensions (inches) of LS bikes.  Not exact but to within an 1/8”.  Any help is greatly appreciated, and any pictures of front/rear wheel assembly close ups would be great too.  Even if you only know a few of the dimensions listed.

Wheel base (center to center):

Front tire diameter:
Front tire width:

Rear tire diameter:
Rear tire width:

Width of front forks (outside to outside):
Width of rear swing arm (outside to outside):

Thanks,

Dave

The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
Re: Motorcycle Dimension Question:
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
I guess since nobody has jumped on this post or even got a single response I guess I need to give some additional info about what I am working on.  I wanted to keep it under wraps until I could have some detailed information for the motorcycle racers; however, I am working on a design at A2 that would allow motorcycle testing with spinning wheels and yaw capability.  I would like the design to be as universal and adjustable as possible to accommodate the widest variety of motorcycles, but without a list of bikes, I don’t know where to cut off the design.  I am thinking about the max wheelbase limited to 84” and the range of tires as listed from the table below.  To my knowledge I don’t think there is any wind tunnel in the world that has spinning wheel capability for motorcycle testing (if there is could someone respond).  This is very important when looking at fender/wheel selection/proximity that I get asked about on a continuous basis.  This is also a business case for us as well and without an interest from motorcycle racers we would be hesitant to dump thousands of dollars into a program that you the racers didn’t recognize as a benefit for testing.   So again, any help of feed back (positive or negative) with this would be greatly appreciated.
www.A2WT.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
Okay, boys and girls -- let's pull it all together and see if we can help Dave out here.  I had the pleasure of meeting him at Maxton last month, at which time he asked me about this information, too.  I didn't have much to offer save for anecdotal stuff about our bikes.

So -- especially for you folks that have or have built custom two-wheelers -- please be in touch with Dave to give him as much as you're willing to give.  It could well help all of us.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »
most of your lsr bikes are going to have a 55" to 70" wheelbase... my ebike is probably one of the longest at 76".... you wont find any bikes longer than your proposed 84"

OD of fork width is 7" to 11"
OD of rear swing arm is 10" to 17" for a promod drag bike

hope this helps
Kent

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
Okay, boys and girls -- let's pull it all together and see if we can help Dave out here.  I had the pleasure of meeting him at Maxton last month, at which time he asked me about this information, too.  I didn't have much to offer save for anecdotal stuff about our bikes.

So -- especially for you folks that have or have built custom two-wheelers -- please be in touch with Dave to give him as much as you're willing to give.  It could well help all of us.

Slim,

You or he should have gone around and measured the bikes at Maxton starting with Bills 272 mph machine.. :cheers:

John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
Yes -- but I was running the bike and he had his own agenda, not that that's much of an excuse for either of us.  Maybe Dave did get some measurements.  I dunno for sure.

But -- Bill Warner wasn't there at the June event.  I presume he was at home tending to his tropical fish -- trying to save them from the oil slick, you know. . . :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:39:25 PM »
most of your lsr bikes are going to have a 55" to 70" wheelbase... my ebike is probably one of the longest at 76".... you wont find any bikes longer than your proposed 84"

OD of fork width is 7" to 11"
OD of rear swing arm is 10" to 17" for a promod drag bike

hope this helps
Kent

Kent, Thanks that helps a ton!

Slim,

You or he should have gone around and measured the bikes at Maxton starting with Bills 272 mph machine..

John

John, I did go out to Maxton for that exact reason a few weeks ago. I also got the opportunity (finally) to meet slim face to face and got some measurements while I was out there.  I'm just trying to get a better handle on what I want the final design to encompass to make sure it can handle a very wide range within reason. 

Thanks for all the help guys.
www.A2WT.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
dave    although i have seen 1 or 2 bikes with a longer wheel base than mine they are usually sidecar rigs the max. wheel base allowed is 110 in.    my bike is 93.5 in wheel base , also a sidecar rig      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline WildBro

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »

Slim,

You or he should have gone around and measured the bikes at Maxton starting with Bills 272 mph machine.. :cheers:

John

I'll be more than happy to just drop it off with Dave  :-D  The bike would have to be kept inside and cool, maybe some where there is a big fan you can turn on  :cheers:  Welcome to take any and all measurments you'd like.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas