I cant believe it took me so long to find this forum, my plans started 18 (or more) months ago.
I'm Alan Caldwell. I am starting to wrap up the plans I have to be at El Mirage in Sept.
Since I will be coming from Victoria, British Columbia in Canada, I need to make sure I have all my T's crossed and my i's dotted.
My ride is a 1990 Suauzki VX 800
Why arent there any shaft driven categories? Its harder for us to make it happen?
So in no real order here are my questions.
1. Do I have to have a "pit crew/person"? I was planning on riding down, strpping the stuff off, and putting it in my side/top case, in the shadow of a well prepared team, and running...thats it,"simple" (like anything ever is).
2. Upon signing up to be a member of the SCTA, is it an annual membership or lifetime? Since I am pinching pennies, I would prefer not to have to have to shell out for something that I will only be able to use once in a year.....or have to be harangued into volunteer work for something that is 2000 miles away....so where do I sign up? I looked at the SCTA web site and it and didnt see anything, can it be dome upon arrival? and with Mastercard?
2a. How many runs are you allowed as guest?
3. Coolant I seem to recall at Bonneville its a non ethylene glycol track is it true too for El Mirage? Water Wetter or equivalent only?
4. My provincial driver license is for a motorcycle, but it doesnt SAY motorcycle, it just gives a class 5 and class 6 endorsement, should I bring provincial documentation to prove I have a license?
5. Whats a log book? I havent raced before so I dont have one....whats it for?
6. Boots. I have a good set of BMW touring boots (touring vs racing) they have Velcro, is that allowed? The book, says laces, buckles and zipper. I have the usual zipper with Velcro.
7. Tires. I am in a 750 cc class, but my bike wont do more than 150 mph, its a matter of power and gearing, its not going to happen, for a little bit of rpm reduction I had wanted to run a 130/90 17V... which would bring me up to my theoretical limit of 148 mph (again its a shaft driven bike, I would be at redline there...IF I get there) do I have to use z or zr rated rubber, I am not going after a record for the class just the bike/engine.
6. Handle bars....I hope it ok to post this link, these are the bars I want to run, as they are flippable from clubman bars to a regular touring bar (nearly stock ergos), because they are adjustable, would they be allowed? http://omarsdtr.com/bars4.html
7. I am trying to figure out my class, I have a modified engine, internals only not cc. I will have a modified fork, does that change my class? Frame is untouched. I am going to make some side fairings out of ABS and attach them to my engine and frame with alu etc. thats allowed no?
7a. Front windscreen. The stock (rare) VX fairing is fork mounted. Any issues with that? Am I allowed to make a foam cowling to go over the headlight as its recessed and is a bit of an air scoop. Or should I go with another windscreen?
8. The rear axle nut is located in a recess that is only large enough to fit a 19mm socket, can I use a crown nut and a cross drilled axle with a cotter pin, instead of safety wire? I understand I will have to drill the wall of the recess to do anything. I am looking for something that is.......hmmm how do I say acceptable and safe at the same time.
9. Engine shut of lanyard. Could some one post me some links to something that is acceptable? The stock engine shut off switches are ok are they not?
10. Fuel pump, my fuel pump is vacuum operated. It is driven from the carbs, does it require any other shut off? When either of the kill switches is triggered it would stop pumping.
11. Fuel Shut off petcock. Is the stock one ok if it has an off position or do I need another mounted more easily? The stock one is in the left hand side panel, covered by my knee.
12. Safety wire. The Rule book doesnt say, but what about the oil filler cap? the oil filter (how do you do that..the rest I understand, but do you drill an oil filter?)? It just the csliper mounting bolts front and rear that need safety wiring? What about the bolts that hold the two halves together? What about the 4 mm bolts that hold the pad retainer in? What about the rear brake stabilizer bar?
13. Kick stand, is it zip tied up during the runs? Really I am asking do I need to bring a supply of zip ties?
14. Gas, I am setting the engine up for 12:1 compression, I understand that the fuel is available there. How much is it? Do we only run with a gallon or so, or a full tank? Without gwtting to technical, if my bike will run on pump gas, which one should I choose while there. Do I need cash for this or is plastic AOK?
Now for the stooopid questions
15. Weather. What are thew high and low temps of El Mirage. I know it CAN be windy, it MAY rain, but whats the daily weather like? Hot and humid or hot and dry? If I am coming from afar .... I would like to have the right gear for standing around (shorts etc).
16. Running on a dry lake bed. Could some one please point me in a direction of where I would find a description of the surface? is it like bad pavement? how is the surface prepped? Can I run rear rigid suspension? I seem to recall reading somewhere youre not allowed, but if I am there a 5# weight savings ......
17. Hard Luggage. I seem to recall at the BUB Bonneville meet there a chance to run with full dress. I have hard luggage. Am I allowed to run with them on for one run??