Author Topic: Second post, lots of questions.  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Second post, lots of questions.
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:56:44 AM »
Hello All,
I cant believe it took me so long to find this forum, my plans started 18 (or more) months ago.

I'm Alan Caldwell.  I am starting to wrap up the plans I have to be at El Mirage in Sept.
Since I will be coming from Victoria, British Columbia in Canada,  I need to make sure I have all my T's crossed and my i's dotted.

My ride is a 1990 Suauzki VX 800
Why arent there any shaft driven categories?  Its harder for us to make it happen?

So in no real order here are my questions.

1.  Do I have to have a "pit crew/person"?  I was planning on riding down, strpping the stuff off, and putting it in my side/top case, in the shadow of a well prepared team, and running...thats it,"simple" (like anything ever is).

2.  Upon signing up to be a member of the SCTA, is it an annual membership or lifetime?  Since I am pinching pennies, I would prefer not to have to have to shell out for something that I will only be able to use once in a year.....or have to be harangued into volunteer work for something that is 2000 miles away....so where do I sign up?  I looked at the SCTA web site and it and didnt see anything, can it be dome upon arrival? and with Mastercard?

2a.  How many runs are you allowed as guest????

3. Coolant I seem to recall at Bonneville its a non ethylene glycol track is it true too for El Mirage?  Water Wetter or equivalent only?

4.  My provincial driver license is for a  motorcycle, but it doesnt SAY motorcycle, it just gives a class 5 and class 6 endorsement, should I bring provincial documentation to prove I have a license?

5.  Whats a log book?  I havent raced before so I dont have one....whats it for?

6.  Boots.  I have a good set of BMW touring boots (touring vs racing)  they have Velcro, is that allowed?  The book, says laces, buckles and zipper.  I have the usual zipper with Velcro.

7. Tires.  I am in a 750 cc class, but my bike wont do more than 150 mph, its a matter of power and gearing, its not going to happen, for a little bit of rpm reduction I had wanted to run a 130/90 17V... which would bring me up to my theoretical limit of 148 mph (again its a shaft driven bike, I would be at redline there...IF I get there) do I have to use z or zr rated rubber, I am not going after a record for the class just the bike/engine.

6. Handle bars....I hope it ok to post this link, these are the bars I want to run, as they are flippable from clubman bars to a regular touring bar (nearly stock ergos), because they are adjustable, would they be allowed?  http://omarsdtr.com/bars4.html

7.  I am trying to figure out my class, I have a modified engine, internals only not cc. I will have a modified fork, does that change my class?  Frame is untouched.  I am going to make some side fairings out of ABS and attach them to my engine and frame  with alu etc.  thats allowed no?

7a.  Front windscreen.  The stock (rare) VX fairing is fork mounted. Any issues with that?  Am I allowed to make a foam cowling to go over the headlight as its recessed and is a bit of an air scoop.  Or should I go with another windscreen?

8. The rear axle nut is located in a recess that is only large enough to fit a 19mm socket, can I use a crown nut and a cross drilled axle with a cotter pin, instead of safety wire?  I understand I will have to drill the wall of the recess to do anything.  I am looking for something that is.......hmmm how do I say acceptable and safe at the same time.

9.  Engine shut of lanyard.  Could some one post me some links to something that is acceptable?  The stock engine shut off switches are ok are they not?

10. Fuel pump, my fuel pump is vacuum operated.   It is driven from the carbs, does it require any other shut off?  When either of the kill switches is triggered it would stop pumping.

11.  Fuel Shut off petcock.  Is the stock one ok if it has an off position or do I need another mounted more easily?  The stock one is in the left hand side panel, covered by my knee.

12. Safety wire.  The Rule book doesnt say, but what about the oil filler cap?  the oil filter (how do you do that..the rest I understand, but do you drill an oil filter?)? It just the csliper mounting bolts front and rear that need safety wiring?  What about the bolts that hold the two halves together?  What about the 4 mm bolts that hold the pad retainer in?  What about the rear brake stabilizer bar?

13. Kick stand, is it zip tied up during the runs? Really I am asking do I need to bring a supply of zip ties?

14. Gas, I am setting the engine up for 12:1 compression, I understand that the fuel is available there.   How much is it? Do we only run  with a gallon or so, or a full tank?  Without gwtting to technical, if my bike will run on pump gas, which one should I choose while there.  Do I need cash for this or is plastic AOK?

Now for the stooopid questions

15. Weather.  What are thew high and low temps of El Mirage.  I know it CAN be windy, it MAY rain, but whats the daily weather like?  Hot and humid or hot and dry?  If I am coming from afar .... I would like to have the right gear for standing around (shorts etc).

16.  Running on a dry lake bed.  Could some one please point me in a direction of where I would find a description of the surface?  is it like bad pavement? how is the surface prepped?  Can I run rear rigid suspension?  I seem to recall reading somewhere youre not allowed, but if I am there a 5# weight savings ......

17. Hard Luggage.  I seem to recall at the BUB Bonneville meet there a chance to run with full dress.  I have hard luggage.  Am I allowed to run with them on for one run??
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Beairsto Racing

Re: Second post, lots of questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:29:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum Alan.
As I'm enjoying day 93 in Saudi, I have some time to kill and I'll jump in on some of your questions...

There are no separate classes for shaft drive bikes. The onus is on you to build a vehicle that is suitable for the available classes.

Your VX 800 left the factory at 805cc, that is over 750cc so that puts you in the 1000 class (without getting into allowable overbores, that is essentially 751cc to 1000).

If you run your bike with any sort of streamlining ahead of the rider, ex) windshield, that will put your VX in the 1000 APS class. There is no modified frame class at El Mirage, only Altered. The 1000 APS/G record is 194.882mph. If you run it naked, that would put you in the 1000 A/G class, record is 172.416mph.

SCTA's rules do not permit you to run your race vehicle through the pits, up to the starting line, or back along the return road at El Mirage or Bonneville. Race vehicles must be towed. You will require a chase vehicle, CB's, fire extinguisher, friends to help you etc.

You can run at El Mirage as a guest, however, you are not eligible for points or a record.

After your rookie orientation, you will be able to make a rookie pass. Depending on the conditions (wind, course surface etc), you might only get one run in. Makes for a long drive for only one pass, eh?

It does get cold during the evening at El Mirage, its best to have some freezing protection, so yes, non-ethylene glycol is ok.

Your provincial driver's license will earn you a 125mph competition license, its been too long, I don't remember the letter for it.

When you arrive at El Mirage, you will be able to purchase a log book from the SCTA trailer, it will have a sticker for your frame that corresponds with the # of your log book. You will also need the log book for tech inspection.

I believe your boots have a zipper on the side thats covered by a velcro flap, if so, they will fine.

Tires will have to be suitable for the class record speed in your class, not how fast you think you might go. So yes, they will need to be ZR rated.

Handlebars will be fine, stock or an alternative from Omar's. What are you doing for a steering damper?

You will require an engine shut off lanyard, you've probably seen them on drag bikes, watercraft etc. Check out www.schnitzracing.com

You are not required to safety wire the oil filler cap or oil filter.

You will need to safety wire the front axle pinch bolts etc.

If your fuel pump is vacuum operated, an external shut off is not required.

Regarding a fuel shut off for your petcock, Pingel sells a cable operated set up that mounts on your handlebars. I'm not sure if this is only required on "fuel" bikes.

Your kick stand does not need to be zip tied, it has a return spring right? However, if you are concerned about having to bring extra zip ties, these are the least of your worries, it gets harder.

Gas? 12:1 compression, you can run the gas class with pump gas, it will pass if you set a record and are tested in impound.

El Mirage surface...year's ago I read in Hot Rod, "that is was like driving across a plowed field". That was my experience as well. The course is fragile, there is a points system that determines who runs first. They will squeeze in the odd rookie pass but bottom line, you don't have any points, you will run when the course has deteriorated after many others have run. Bikes can run closer to the course markers so don't let that scare you off.

Suspension is a good thing, it doesn't take much but a little will smooth out your ride, keep the wheel on the ground instead of spinning and chattering. Sure some folks run rigid, but then you are dependant on a smooth course.

I wonder if you might be more interested in the Bub event's "Run what you brung class" at Bonneville?

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers,
Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline bak189

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:59:16 AM »
Save your money and race "Run what you Brung" at the BUB......you get more runs.....don't need a chase
vehicle and pit crew.....you can run your hard lugage.......no club to join......Pay your money and make your Run..........
Question authority.....always

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »
Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really really appreciate it. YOURE FROM CANADA TOO!  WOOT!  What the heck are you doin in Saudi?

You mention I should run at BUB, as much as I want too, I am afraid of the Salt Bears. Since the whole point of my foray into LSR, is to create the worlds fastest VX800 (that is my daily commuter)  I dont want to lose her to the `bears.  

As I was perusing this forum after my posting I ran across the Mojave Mile.  The time frame is good (same month, so I can take the vacation time). After all I am only trying to set a record for the bike, as I said its theoretically possible to do 148, no more.  I know tech wont care, so....hmmmm what to do.

Then theres the tire issue.  To get to 148, I need the 130/90 17. I also dont know if there is a ZR in a 16" (front wheel, I am swapping out the front end with a Katana 1100 front end, it is supposed to be a simple bolt on, but I am there yet, I need a few more days).  The Mojave says a V rated is acceptable up to 155mph.  One more point for Mojave.

All that and the potential of one pass, the need for a support vehicle, and the minimum for the class ( I havent checked yet) makes the Mojave look more suited to my needs.

Cheers
Alan

suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
Allan,

I'm moving an oil rig from Saudi into Iraq.

Mojave, El Mirage, wherever, its all good. It sounds like you want to experience the sport and you will enjoy the people. :cheers:

Have fun.

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man