Author Topic: Air Brakes  (Read 9398 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Air Brakes
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 11:04:21 AM »
How about a flip-up '29 radiator on the front -- it sure works for us.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »
How about a flip-up '29 radiator on the front -- it sure works for us.

Stan

naaa, they want to stop it not turn it around... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 12:22:08 PM »
Just remember that a wing or a air brake that adds downforce will truly act as a wing and fly you sky high in a spin. A downforce wing is great until you are going backwards and then it produces huge lift. An air brake should be designed to add only drag and absolutely no down-force or up-force of any kind regardless of car direction.

I totally agree with what saltfever quoted.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jl222

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »

Are you going to have brakes on all wheels? With road racing background you should no how useless rear brakes only are.

JL222

Offline John Burk

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 04:00:52 PM »
Wings similar to this

http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/Bvile-pics/rw-full.jpg

become air brakes when pitched downward .

Offline POPS

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
Saltfever,
My thinking is to design the brake like a flap on a cup car.  The extra large flap would be allowed to go vertical if the car turns around.  Thanks for the help.
POPS

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »
Pops,  I think it's way too high and it will lift the front wheels. If you turn around backwards it will most likely fly like a kite.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline maguromic

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »

Are you going to have brakes on all wheels? With road racing background you should no how useless rear brakes only are.

JL222

We don’t have brakes on the front wheels, and the rear brakes are Nascar speedway brakes.  They are small and fit inside the wheel for better aero, but in my opinion not good for stopping a car above 100 mph if that.  We do have three parachutes, but wanted to investigate adding air brakes as an added safety measure.  Since this is a roadster we are limited by the rules and the design package on where we can put the air brakes. Tony

Offline krusty

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »
Tony - You are absolutely right about the roof flap - once you are 180* to your previous forward direction, it increases lift like crazy. We tried this with a closed car in the A2 tunnel (put the car in backwards). Since we couldn't actually yaw the car degree by degree (no big $$ for the Lockheed tunnel), I can't say at what degree of yaw the deployed flap(s) starts to become a liability. It certainly needs to act early to be of any use.   About air brakes, I got nuttin'.     vic       

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
Burkland (Tom) once told me that his air brake is the only slowing system (chutes, wheel brakes and air brakes) he never had a failure with. Apparently they also provided an impressive ability to slow the vehicle.

Air brakes are definitely something I will consider in the future. 
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »
Tony,
Just a thought, use the 27 T doors for air brake. Your body will probably have an outline of the doors , cut them out and make a hinged "door" that will pop out and act as an air brake. As they will be verticle they should not add lift and should work no matter which way the car is going.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 12:40:05 PM »
As long as there is no change in the contour of the body, may require some good stiffeners
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maguromic

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »
Rex, One of the options we were thinking is using the doors.  We could use some sort of bell crank or watts link with a single ram to push both open at the same time. But I still think it’s a little too high.  Also it would be pretty simple to fabricate the doors out of aluminum and put some sort of structure to attach everything with. This is going to take lots of thought and sacrificing some brain cells.  Tony

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 01:28:14 AM »
I think it might work with front hinged doors and a redundant style actuating system to ensure there are no failures. The thought of only one coming out or having them deploy asymmetrically is downright scary. A solid panel behind the doors and some sort of sturdy structure to mount the hinges and actuators should do the trick. A travel limiting device so that they could be deployed a small amount at first and then greater amounts later on could prove to be a safe method for testing.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:31:23 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 11:08:55 AM »
This idea sounds great, how fast do you plan on going again? :cheers: