Author Topic: M-B_-500 #2300b  (Read 22920 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: M-B_-500 #2300b
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 11:20:44 AM »

Sparky, who is the supplier for the silicone hose in CO. Vesco is looking for vacuum hose that is gas proof.
Thanks
Glen

Well Joey D and I  got really lucky today.  I found a web site with nothing but silicone hoses on eBay and in CO. and ordered the hoses to make this thing work.  Went to the steel place and found a 90 deg weld El that was slightly larger on one end and we to the local turbo shop, Turbos Direct and pick up a T2 flange. I used the die grinder to recess the weld El and walla -- we have exhaust plumbing we should be able to weld a tab on the curve of the 90 and bolt it to the frame. We used a cut off wheel to modify the exhaust flange and a vice, vice grips, and a ball peen hammer to fab the exhaust.

Will order the 12 volt tranfer pump from RB Racing on Monday

Oh by the way the name of our entry is BlackSmith Racin---go figure
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »
siliconeintakes.com
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

landracing

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 07:38:48 PM »
Be carefull on silicone hoses for vaccum and pressure. There are many aftermarket companies that are offering silicone hose that are using inferior product. I would ask for some type of spec sheet. Make sure it passes SAEJ20 Class A specs.

The thing you want to look at most is operating temp of the hose, don't take salesman word for it get a spec sheet.

There are silicone hoses out there that are thick but the operating temp is only 150-175 degrees. The hotter it gets weakens the structure of the hose. And that is where the problem is.

I know of a quality silicone hose that has 300 degree sustained temps without collapse at 25"/hg .... Max temp of 400 degrees reduced performance will happen.

Enclosed applications like streamliners should be aware of this.

JonAmo

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »
thanks Jon for the heads up!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
Question of the day: Heat Shields

I have an elementry knowledge of heat shielding and we have under way trying to build a 3 layer system with SS and alum.; three dead air spaces under the seat that air can flow through

What are some magic materials we can pad the seat with and cover the turbo with to keep Joey from having calf fries? :-o

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
Thanks for  the question about volume---we did some research and decided to match up with the 2" od end and not the 1.75 od end. That will give us  500cc in the tube alone not counting the volume in the head or in the turbo  so I am guessing we will be around 1.5x displacement.

Looking for sprockest today and found out the stock compression ratio is 9.2 and the stock springs float around 8200--hopefully they will handle 7-8 psi. at 7000.  Thanks to all who responded  on and off.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:28 AM »
 :?  Question of the Day  :?

Sprockets  we presently have dirt bike 14-48s we can get 17 for the front and down to a 37 up for the rear.

I am GUESSING we might want to start with a 17-40

please suggestions and coments.  We have NO knowledge base in this PEA brain on bikes..

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
Type "motorcycle gearing calculator" or similar into a search engine and several will be available.  There is one on the formulas part of this website.  Assuming a reasonable top speed, 3 to 5 percent tire slip, and the rpm you will use for sustained speeds, it is possible to figure out a starting point for the sprocket combo.  Extra sprockets of different sizes are always handy.   

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 04:09:03 AM »
Hi Sparky,

Try this from Sumner's site.
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/

I'm back into the fray and might be traveling your way next week. If your around I'd like to visit a bit.

Thanks - Skip

Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
come on over would like to see you, been wondering what you had been up to

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
:?  Question of the Day  :?

Sprockets  we presently have dirt bike 14-48s we can get 17 for the front and down to a 37 up for the rear.

I am GUESSING we might want to start with a 17-40

please suggestions and coments.  We have NO knowledge base in this PEA brain on bikes..

Don't knowif this will help but on my 500 Norton I run 22/42 on the primary and 21/42 on the rear.  In fourth at 1:1 thats 3.90 overall.  On my sidecar also powered by a 500 Weslake single the gearing is 26/42 on the primary and 21/47 on the rear.  3.84 overall.  I think with a turbo you could gear a bit higher than that.  I'm taking the sidecar to Bonneville this year and am considering going to 28/42 for the primary.  3.73 overall.  Hope this might help.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:25:21 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 11:31:56 PM »
it seems like Christmas---packages arriving daily:
Turbo flange gaskets, heat shield material, 37 tooth sprocket for the rear. front and rear tires, Joey D found some used leathers today that comply with the rules,  I spent several hours today working out the heat shields so that they do not appear to be streamling  Picts soon

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »
Baby has new Avon shoes  will take picts this weekend.

Question of the day:

Does the reference in the rules about streamling leathers refer to the hump behind the helmet that some leathers have?

Offline bak189

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
Sorry that I took so long posting the elec. oil pump we used on our stand alone oiling system for the Turbo on our Kawa.
Shurflo is the pump..............................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »
Yes, it does mean the hump in the back of the leathers, Sparky.  The hump isn't supposed to be there if you're running in a "naked" class.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com