Author Topic: what makes a bike engine a bike engine II  (Read 3551 times)

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
what makes a bike engine a bike engine II
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »
I know that this was beaten to death about a V8 Busa, but here is another one to discuss.

I know in motorcycle classes, engines have to be either from a motorcycle or "purpose built".

What constitutes purpose built?  I have an engine shop that will custom make with proprietary purpose built heads, barrels, crank, pistons, rods etc. Is it considered purpose built if the heavily modified base (modified to the extent of adding a counterbalancing shaft) is a Polaris casting or is it considered a snowmobile engine? It is a matter of cost.  They will CNC a base for $4000 or I can use a Polaris base that is then heavily modified for $1,200.

Would someone in the know care to chime in on this.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline joea

Re: what makes a bike engine a bike engine II
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »
...wild thought here...have you tried asking the
technical committee of the sanctioning body you plan
to run in.....?..

i know its sounds crazy, but since they are the ones
who actually make the ruling..you might want their
opinion....

Joe  :)

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »
Good one Joe.
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:31:03 AM »
You must be a bafrickin' genius! I guess the capacity for abstract thought was completely lost on me. Your sage advice will be the beacon that guides my every endeavor from this day forth.

This time of year it can take a considerable amount of time to get a response and since my body falls under a body that falls under a body, it might take 6 months to get a reply.

So I thought that I might get some guidance.  Sorry I asked.

I found in the first post string after about three pages that willy had a letter from the SCTA that resolved the problem.

Thank you for your most helpful insights, but kimdly
keep the sarcasm to yourself.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:48 AM »
Well, maybe not --  "it can take a considerable amount of time to get a response and since my body falls under a body that falls under a body, it might take 6 months to get a reply. "

I recently had a question for the Motorcycle Committee -- and I emailed Van Butler, head of that committee, to ask.  I got a response in less than 48 hours.  Yes, the question was on the "hot" topic of that moment - the new tire rule -- but he certainly did not drag his feet in getting back to me.

I'd suggest you bite the bullet and contact him or Tom Evans, chief M/C inspector, and pose your question.  I'd suggest you put it in concrete terms -- not "What makes a bike engine a bike engine?" but rather "I'd like to do this with that and need to know if it is therefore a bike engine."  Give it a try -- and maybe you'll see that what you interpret as sarcasm was really a good idea, even if disguised.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »
backslax.........trying to help buddy...

in the last 2 yrs i had questions about rules....

i called the listed number for the tech chairman......

he answered the phone....first try....

he answered my questions...while i was talking to him...

done directly...in minutes.....

the explanation you brought forth about body under body
is one invented by you........

one phone call or email, which i also utilized with van butler and
tom evans...the guys who do the inspecting and ruling....is very simple..prompt..direct...
and most of all provides the resolution that counts.....

they may need to take it to the board as their is a process....

additionally.....your words  "it can take a considerable amount of time....might take 6 months
for a reply"

indicates you havent tried this novel idea....of contacting them...and is a huge misguided excuse...
of which we are seriously and caringly trying to save you time and energy in resolving....

AS EXEMPLIFIED IN THE THREAD YOU REFERRED TO EARLIER.....IT CAN BE DEBATED-ARGUED-FOUGHT
OVER-ETC FOR MANY PAGES HERE.......THEN IN ONE SIMPLE ATTEMPT TO CONTACT SCTA...THE
REAL ANSWER WAS PROVIDED....BY THE ACTUAL RULES/TECH FOLKS...

if you merely would like to discuss motor ideas...knock yourself out.....

what you were wanting was rules interpretation/ruling...

many of us would love to discuss/banter all types of motor construction/building ideas methods
etc.....

I for one hope to enjoy reading about your exciting sounding engine/speed pursuits...

Joe :)

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
yes i have a letter from van butler  but it only concerns the v8 busa motor--busa top end and after market cases and crankshaft---i think you are trying something a little different ---you need to write van butler and explain what you want to do --he will respond as soon as he can ---keep the letter he sends you  ---his email is      catherinejuneau3@mac.com        or call at 949497-6478     good luck willie buchta
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:20:56 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta