Author Topic: Engine Specs  (Read 10787 times)

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: Engine Specs
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
How about the Omega class...you can use a non-motorcycle or purpose-built  engine and it is legal. I think everybody needs to have a turn trying to write a rulebook...kind of like being a deer on opening day!!! Oh, the irony. LOL

Wrongway,
Roy, you just want to add a car motor to your car tire!!!
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline wrongway

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
How about the Omega class...you can use a non-motorcycle or purpose-built  engine and it is legal. I think everybody needs to have a turn trying to write a rulebook...kind of like being a deer on opening day!!! Oh, the irony. LOL

Wrongway,
Roy, you just want to add a car motor to your car tire!!!

yep ,,, so I am good to go for production class with the Boss Hoss ?

Roy

Offline wrongway

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
How about the Omega class...you can use a non-motorcycle or purpose-built  engine and it is legal.

rule books says "Any engine using a thermodynamic cycle other than Otto cycle" for the Omega class.

that would rule out most of these engines , wouldn't it ?

Roy

Offline willieworld

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
omega = steam   turbine   electric                                                           willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »
I am looking at getting a BossHoss to run in production. Is that legal ? these motorcycles are built using a chevrolet based V8 motors, does that make it a motorcycle motor?

In another thread about the SCTA saying MC only engines it was eluded to that they upheld MC engines, purpose built, and mainly comprised of MC parts to "keep the Boss Hoss out".  Don't know if that is true or not, but since your small block was originally designed to be a car enigine, your out of luck with me.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline wrongway

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »
I am looking at getting a BossHoss to run in production. Is that legal ? these motorcycles are built using a chevrolet based V8 motors, does that make it a motorcycle motor?

In another thread about the SCTA saying MC only engines it was eluded to that they upheld MC engines, purpose built, and mainly comprised of MC parts to "keep the Boss Hoss out".  Don't know if that is true or not, but since your small block was originally designed to be a car enigine, your out of luck with me.

The rules for production aer very straight forward.

" This class is limited to production , street-legal motorcycles of which 500 or more have been produced and are available for sale to the general public through retail motorcycle dealers"

The Boss Hoss does meet these requirements.

Altered is the only class that stated that you have to use a motorcycle engine.

Roy

Offline willieworld

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
roy  production states     production engines must be the same model as the model of the frame being used   ---that would exclude the boss hoss  unless you can talk chevrolet into makeing 500 frames --if you want to run a chevrolet motor read the rule book very carefully       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline wrongway

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
roy  production states     production engines must be the same model as the model of the frame being used   ---that would exclude the boss hoss  unless you can talk chevrolet into makeing 500 frames --if you want to run a chevrolet motor read the rule book very carefully       willie buchta

the ECTA rule book doesn't say that in the production section.

Modified Production does state "engine must be from the same manufacturer as the frame"

so Production still looks legal.

Roy

Offline willieworld

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 02:13:56 PM »
wrongway   before you start an argument with me you should read the whole rule book and not just the parts that suit you---just because i live in calif. i still have a ecta rule book  --perhaps you should read  7.j.i and 7.j.2  ----i remember it like this  special construction classes build off of modified production classes and modified production classes build off of production classes --as you move away from production you are allowed to do more and more---if in special construction 7.h.18 only motorcycle engines are permitted  NO CHEVYS ALLOWED  then they wont be allowed in modified or in production which are stricter classes                           willie buchta                   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:25:30 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline desotoman

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
In Special Construction/ Altered and Streamliner, you can have a purpose built or motorcycle motor. Non-motorcycle motors are not allowed. Sorry, I know you were looking for a different answer.

Joe Timney
President
ECTA

Joe,

I am just curious, what would constitute a purpose built motor, and be legal?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 03:23:06 PM »

Roy

Roy,

Buy the bike and run for fun. I am not familiar with ECTA, but don't they have a Time Only entry. If I really wanted to run something that did not have a class to run in, I would run for time only.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 03:37:37 PM »
Yes, we do have a Time Only category -- but remember that any vehicle that runs, whether in a class or not, must still pass tech.  And part of the tech process is the requirement that the vehicle may be judged to be unsafe and therefore prohibited from running (7.B.14, ECTA rulebook).  I'm not saying that a Boss bike would be so judged -- just pointing out that part of the rules.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
In Special Construction/ Altered and Streamliner, you can have a purpose built or motorcycle motor. Non-motorcycle motors are not allowed. Sorry, I know you were looking for a different answer.

Joe Timney
President
ECTA

Joe,

I am just curious, what would constitute a purpose built motor, and be legal?

Tom G.

My understanding of purpose built is.When you make a block from a big " block" of aluminum .Then make a billet crank . Have some rods made and a set of pistons turned to you own spec. Then whittle out a head on a CNC machine.

That would to me be a purpose built motor. It did not come from anything and was purpose built to race land speed in what ever you are racing.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline desotoman

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »

My understanding of purpose built is.When you make a block from a big " block" of aluminum .Then make a billet crank . Have some rods made and a set of pistons turned to you own spec. Then whittle out a head on a CNC machine.

That would to me be a purpose built motor. It did not come from anything and was purpose built to race land speed in what ever you are racing.

If that is the case I own a V8 motor that would qualify for the purpose built class. Something does not seem right. What am I missing.

Tom G.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 05:39:46 PM »
tom  production is for a production bike --modified is for a modified production bike --in both classes the frame and engine must be from the same manufacture ---the A class ( special construction ) is a purpose built race bike--the rule book says  7.G.9 scta rule book and 7.H.18 ecta rule book says           "Any single or duel combination of motorcycle engines permitted.-also read 7.J.5 through 7.J.11 ecta book and 7.J.5 through 7.J.11 in the scta rule book       thanks  willie buchta

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:44:38 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta