Author Topic: Flag Day  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Flag Day
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:19:14 AM »
Today is flag day, fly it with pride, fly it for the great people in our military that give us that right.
This is still America and we need to keep it that way. It's time we all take a look at where we came from and where we are today.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Flag Day
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »
I put the flag out on the front deck this morning as we left the house -- but then, I do that every day.  Nancy gave me this flag a few years ago -- 'cause the previous one was looking a bit tattered.  Got a worn-out flag that you'd dispose of?  Take it to your local American Legion post and they'll do the job with the appropriate ceremony.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »
Put the flag out this morning.....thanks America.......................

"Dutch by birth......American by choice"'............................
Question authority.....always

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:14:04 PM »
Ours is out 24/7. I bought a solar powered garden spot light at Lowe's and set it up to illuminate the flag at night, charges during the day.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fastman614

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
Being that Bonneville Speedweek, the World Finals and other land speed events are truly international events, what are foreign nationals who are present supposed to do during a flag salute or the playing of the US National Anthem?

Apparently this:
During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, those present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

And just so all of us foreigners know:
Title 36, Subtitle I, Part A section 301 United States Code – National Anthem
(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem—

(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

American Legion.

It does not say for any of us foreigners to remove our hats.....just hat we should stand at attention (and thus show respect for a symbol of your country... as we we would expect that all foreigners in our countries would do as well)...so, for the last umpteen years this is what I have done and I have been spoken to derogatorily for it at the Speedweek drivers' meeting on more than one occasion.

It is not a big thing but I will say that anthem section of the flag code does say that MEN were to remove their hats... and I firmly believe that it means exactly that.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: I salute your posting this---
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
Tnank you, Sparky!.... I always thought that there should be a page or a handout to foreign competitors with this information in it.... and a suggestion for all foreign participants to display a flag or a recognizable symbol of ones home country while at Speedeek....

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:39:36 PM »
It is not a big thing but I will say that anthem section of the flag code does say that MEN were to remove their hats... and I firmly believe that it means exactly that.

But don't judge others if they don't. Sometimes people are thinking about other things and forget. For some religions removing head covering is not allowed.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
  Dan, thats a great Idea.
  Dean, well said.
  I can't say why, but every year at the drivers meeting and the National Anthem begin's, I tear up and can't stop until it is over.
  It's a wonderful feeling to be amongst your brothers and sisters, doing what you love in a country you love and with the freedom to inhale Nitro Fumes........................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline fastman614

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
I actually asked a person who claimed knowledge of the flag/anthem issue. He told me that it said men... specifically ..... he went on to say that women were/are to keep their heads covered..... this goes back a long way.... in the days of the so-called wild west- that era anyway..... women rarely went out without head covering and until they returned home, they did not remove head coverings, bonnets, scarves etc- the roots of this were/are based in old religious teachings and the protocols were written up in that era.

He also said that .... specifically, the instruction for men to remove their hats did not apply to those in the military and did not apply to foreigners that were/are present.

But let me say.... many of us do take our hats off to our American cousins .... often....

Digressing some from this topic, lots of  foreign groups of people in this world have public loathing or contempt for the USA and the symbols of the country. The only trouble is.... given their "druthers".... it all too often seems that they'd "druther" be in America than in their own countries where the primary purpose of the guns, gates and barbed wire along their borders is to keep their own citizens in - not for keeping hordes of us westerners out.... hmmmmmm....  God bless!