Author Topic: Pilot Mtn. Rd.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline basher13

Pilot Mtn. Rd.
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:25:54 PM »
Looking over google earth and started following the road into the hills. Anybody ever been way back in the hills to the NW of the flats? I talked to some guys last SW that had bajas up there messin around, wonderin if I could follow it out to I-84. I've heard stories of takin rental cars down pilot mtn. rd., Kepner and Frued, anybody else been there?
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline michael lueders

Re: Pilot Mtn. Rd.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
One year Jeannie and I went all around Silver mountain on DS bikes to the NE. On the tip out past floating mountain there's a monument to the Donner party. The lakebed on the back side has a few large ranches along the "shore".

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »
I went along the flats on the mountain road all the way out to the end one year in a 4 wheel drive Toyota. I then went as far out as I could on the salt in 2wd until it started getting tough and saved 4wd if I needed it & backed on out because it would be a long, long walk to town. It was on a rainout day waiting for the track to dry about 10 years ago, Its a rough ride for sure. I think I recall seeing an 8 mile marker but cant be sure. One year when they used to let you on the north long course I rode my Honda Trail 70 out to Floating Mountain. Its furthur then you think it is for sure. Wish I had known about the Donner Party Marker then

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:51:41 AM »
Kepner has led more than one of us astray.

He has never left water along side the road back there but he has stashed toilet paper in some places where

he needed it following a rough road encounter.

FREUD
Since '63