Author Topic: today at elmo  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: today at elmo
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
We set our record last month during Bonneville tune-up time.  Let's see 84 MPH in 1.3 miles equals 323 at the 5.

New fuel injection either makes A WHOLE LOT more mid-range -- or the course was shittey -- or both.

Going slow makes for better pictures, too.

I've been told -- "Me doth think he protests too much."

And paraphrasing one of my favorite book titles by Vincent Bugliosi --"and the Salt Shall Tell".

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »
One side like Eyre's.

They will be running four cars at Speedweek, pretty ambitious.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
And so far, pretty successful.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »
I just realized, that means we need a chute to run the lakes now. Oh well it's the drivers inheritance i'm spending.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 12:11:24 AM »
Good Luck Jim on reattaining the record with a true engine vs. 1/2 of another one. I really never cared when this was done in special construction vehicles but didn't like it when I saw them filter down to the other classes in the late 70's. It will be tough for your Chevrolet 4 to compete against 1/2 of a V-8.
Jimmy Stevens has done the best and holds the record at Bonneville running 170. His Fontana block had a Ford Yates head and it took him a few years. Good Luck..JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 01:02:04 AM »
Wow JD! I never knew.......    :-o
I seem to remember that the Novi took 2 set of Offy cylinders (well almost as Goosens did design them) & bolt them to a common crankcase to make a v-8.
Then there were those guys who defanged 1 cylinder to drop a class.
Also seem to me that the GMC 12 port is an unfair advantage with it's inlet port tilted up 45 degrees.   :-D

This is only to start some lively debate as the forum is a bit slow lately.   :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »
Mike,

Whose GMC 12 port head is that? The Wayne GMC 12 port had straight ports, the Chevy head had the angled ports.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »
You're right Dan (of course) it was the Chevy head that has the angled inlet.
Now, was that different than the factory Chevy 6 head?   :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline willieworld

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
I have a couple of pics that were taken at El Mirage. I thought that I would post them here and hope that the subjects in the pics will see them.
A couple of the pics are for Kent(I owe you one). The others are for first timers and over the ponders. Hope that you enjoy them.

Sheri Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 01:19:21 PM »
Modern day wild bunch :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Good Luck Jim on reattaining the record with a true engine vs. 1/2 of another one.
Good Luck..JD

JD,

????????????? Sorry but I am confused. If you can put a late model V-8 head on a 4 cyllinder block, what is the difference? What am I missing? Wouldn't they put out the same HP?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
The GMC head is a Howard. It was the only one with 45 degree intakes. It used the same injector as the Wayne. It is now the Arias and Harris runs one on his Camaro.

Tom, I know they are just air pumps but for years 1/2 motors seem to have an advantage. With todays knowledge and the advent of more SOHC and DOHC "F" engine classes are making a come back using all cylinders. Barry Kaplan could sure make a 1/2 engine run and I believe Freddy does pretty good too.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jdincau

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »
Duggan also made a slant intake head for a Chevy 6 in Australia.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »
The Howard/Arias 12 port head appears to be a clone of the Wayne GMC head except for the intake ports. I was told that Howard used the patterns for the Wayne and modified them for his version. Don't know how true that is. The Duggan head for the late model 292 type Chevy I believe is now the Sissel/Duggan and not a cross flow head. I had a Howard head on my 32 Ford/GNC and then sold it to the Salt Circus roadster.

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
I'm with Tom on that, I know that Udo and Jack are running real good with the Pontiac "Iron Duke", and that my Dad's engine (191 cid "Iron Duke" with a splayed valve small block head on it) hit 394 hp on the dyno, don't understand where the performance difference could be, unless instead of running the "pancake" crank like the four cylinder does (180 degrees), they are running a 90 degree crank like the V8's run. Is that where the difference is? The power pulses?

Jeff
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets