Author Topic: Rat Fink Reunion (and others) photos on my server  (Read 2022 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Rat Fink Reunion (and others) photos on my server
« on: June 12, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »
Well, I think the battle between me and the Canon 7D camera is drawing to a close.  And I think I've won.  I've attached a coupla shots from the show.  One is of the Super Camino from New Mexico(?) and the other is an overhead shot of a 69 Camaro.  Aside from the Elky tie-in (the Super Camino is a very kool show car), I've always liked the metallic Jade Green color...one of my Datsun 520s was that color...and it was the best car I ever bought off the showroom floor.  It didn't come that color...it had the sea poop green that I hated, so as soon as I had an excuse (I got slightly rear-ended...minor damage, but it was worth it) to have it painted and that's the color I chose.

Anyway, I really like that shot (another Andy Southard trick...but without the ladder...I just held the camera as high as I could and made a SWAG at where it was pointing) and there are a few others...the orange and black 55 Chebby 2dr sedan and its mate, a 2010 Camaro RS/SS, both with "real fire" flames.  Speakin of flames, the "Topless Bel" was there with a flame show from the fart pipe in the rear and also thru the parking light outlets in the front...I called it dragon's breath and apparently the owner liked it.  That may be the next "name" for his front-shooting flames.  The "Bel" was originally a 57 Plymouth Belvedere (hence the name) that became a hacksaw convertible.  The extended fins are sorta over the top, but all in all, it's pretty kool for a "grunge rod."  Can't call it a rat...the rat was in the back seat of the 50 Stude...another hacksaw convert with Indian blanket seatcovers.  It's been around for a while, but I like it.

I also have a coupla shots (the last 2 in the series) that I feel fortunate to get...of Frank Magoo from Las Vegas.  He's one of the "old masters" of striping and car art.  But he hates to be photographed.  So I did an "intrusion shot" twice (caught him when he wasn't looking)...this is where a Leica rangefinder camera with its nearly silent operation could help.  Anyway, Magoo ain't gonna be around forever and I feel privileged to have been around him and see him at work.  Coop is another really kool striper.  I like him as a person.  Just a good guy.  He's the one who did the stripes on the Ugly Truck.  I spose if I ever get to the point of gettin the Burb painted, I'll just tell him to go nuts on it.  Check out his website at www.coopstuff.com ('R' rated.)  'Course as soon as I got there, I asked him if he'd finish the striping on my bass (wait til I bring the Hammond for striping!) and we agreed...but were both so busy it didn't get done.  Oh, well.  There's always next year.

Got ya primed for the photos?  Ok.  Here's where to find 'em:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/cruisin2010/20100605/100605.html

If ya see any glaring errors...or minor ones, please let me know so I can fix 'em.

Ohh...fair warning: I've interspersed some High Dynamic Range renderings here and there.  But just getting multiple light sources combined wasn't enough, so I added some solarizing and color saturation.  One of them "love 'em or hate 'em" things.  Obviously I like the stuff or I wouldn't do it.

Enuff!  Hope ya like 'em.  I was very pleased with the image quality: sharpness, color and clarity, right from the camera.

G'nite

RtR

ps.  if ya haven't visited the site for a while, I've added a buncha cruise nite/car show photos: Boise Roadster show, Pocatello, Id "Chrome in the Dome," the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly weekend photos (with sections for Pinups, "body art" and the Chuck Berry concert.  That ROCKED!

Hope ya enjoy 'em.

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
Re: Rat Fink Reunion (and others) photos on my server
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »
 :-D  As usual Ray, your work is interesting and creative!  Keep up the good work!     Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Rat Fink Reunion (and others) photos on my server
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »
I recognize the hubcaps on that flame-throwin' Plymouth - I remember washing 'em on my dad's '62 Dart.

GREAT collection of pics and art, Ray.  You have a gift.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: