Author Topic: Scattershield help, thoughts, comments, discussion  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Scattershield help, thoughts, comments, discussion
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:54:21 AM »
This is going out to you folks who have had to build your own blowshield.  I can’t find an aftermarket piece.

Okay, here’s what I’m up against.  I need to construct a ¼ inch scattershield.  The transmission and bellhousing are cast together as one piece.

The SCTA rule requires 360 degree containment.  I can build it tapered down to the transmission, and snug up against the back of the engine, but I see no effective way of completely closing it off North and South.  Is that going to be an issue?

I’d like mount this shield to the frame rails, and construct it in two pieces – top and bottom.
Here’s a pic on an SCCA prepped Midget engine bay.  This is what I have to work around.

I’m hoping to collect thoughts, comments and suggestions from the greatest brain trust in racing.  Yep, that’s you!

Thanks.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Scattershield help, thoughts, comments, discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
Could you run a approved blanket like the automatics run?  Or you could fabricate two parts like clam sell and bolt them together on the sides. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:15:58 AM »
You seem to be building about what I have. If parts come out they will be heading up, down and out from the center. Not forward or back, I think. I am interested to see what answers you get.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »
The rule book I read made no mention of front or rear shielding. Only that the width be sufficient to cover the clutch and flywheel assembly. While that may be sufficient to meet the rule I'm sure any added protection would be an advantage and the weight is in a pretty good place.

Pete

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 02:11:10 AM »
This is going out to you folks who have had to build your own blowshield.  I can’t find an aftermarket piece.

Okay, here’s what I’m up against.  I need to construct a ¼ inch scattershield.  The transmission and bellhousing are cast together as one piece.

The SCTA rule requires 360 degree containment.  I can build it tapered down to the transmission, and snug up against the back of the engine, but I see no effective way of completely closing it off North and South.  Is that going to be an issue?

I’d like mount this shield to the frame rails, and construct it in two pieces – top and bottom.

I’m hoping to collect thoughts, comments and suggestions from the greatest brain trust in racing.  Yep, that’s you!
Thanks.
Chris
Go and get a heavy cardboard box, and a sharp knife,( and some sticking plasters)....ideally get that double layer cardboard it's about 3/8 thick. Cover the necessary area using separate flat pieces( don't bend) use masking tape so you can separate them easily. When you have the closest fit you can manage pull it apart and cut the pieces out of the steel you are going to use , if you're a bit untidy with a gas axe or plasma use a grinder with a super thin cutting disc, time consuming but neat....don't chamfer them as the gaps from the outside are just what you want for the welding.....and when you do weld it find a mate who bought a "too big" welder.......do as much of the tacking with it in place because if you mangle it with heat it will be square one.

Ours consists of the top part which unbolts , the sides and base are integral with the frame and floor.....the top of this photo is the water tank which has six layers of 3/16 steel....it sits over the scattershiled and box...under it is the floor which is  1/4 plate.....

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:13:38 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline hotschue

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:30:43 AM »
Chris....On another Bugeye project I fabricated the shield out of individual pieces of plate and permanently attached them to the inside of the tunnel walls, 360 degrees.  Wouldn't take much to make the top piece removable.  Was accepted by the road race groups....Udo
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline Bruno

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
Damn Googles , the safest place in the car is sitting on top of that!  well done :cheers:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:10:51 AM »
Milwaukee. The earliest Flatheah V8 scattershields bolted to the frame with the sides open.

My first GMC had a 3 inch wide ring around the flywheel split on the sides. I then triangulated a top 3 pieces down to the top of the transmission  covering the clutch area and bolted the top half to the bottom half. I started it from a 3" piece of pipe. Never had a problem during inspection..Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline hitz

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:02 AM »
MM,

If you go to the link below on page 6 &7 it may help.

harv