Leave it on the Forum as a post
12 (22.2%)
Put it into the "links" page of the site
17 (31.5%)
Make it a front page item
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: June 17, 2010, 03:41:58 PM

Author Topic: Land Speed Racing Deaths website  (Read 16030 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Land Speed Racing Deaths website
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »
  Today, Lionel Pitts and I visited a friend who is building a very fast car for Bonneville.
  The purpose of this visit and two previous visits was to offer insight and advice from our experience and hopefully save him some grief.
  As we were discussing safety equipment he asked why we need a hans device if we don't have front impact issues.
  I did my best to explain how in our sport every accident is investigated and solutions are sought, even though very seldom is a car going to impact the ground head on.
  Even though I sometimes wince when a new rule comes out, I salute our safety committee for being very pro-active as far as trying to keep us safe.
  As far as a death website, I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as no details were offered other than perhaps a notation of "died as a result of injuries"
Bob Drury

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 12:50:19 AM »
 Voted nothing to do with it. I feel the people that investigate adjust the rules accordingly.
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 01:05:55 AM »
Thank you to our fellow "Real World Racers" for seeing what it is..what would be next a death pool?

J

landracing

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 02:27:19 AM »
I think it is a good thing. Cops have walls of honor to fallen comrades and we also have the Vietnam wall which does the same thing.  Kudos to Mel for putting this together!!

We already have this, pay your respects at Wendover Will next time your there and move on.

JA

landracing

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 02:40:26 AM »
Another thing I find odd is on the 00-09 page there is a terrible picture of Vesco's Turbinator - the color is all off and why the heck is that picture there anyways. Don did not die on the salt. Gives the wrong impression.

Second, I believe that a portion of the photos were photo's I took during the events that eventually made it on other websites so original credits are incorrect. After the sale of the website, I transferred all ownership of the photos to Jon Wennerberg, so Jon W. may not know that he owns the photo credits to several of those photos, however I remember taking them.

Jon Amo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »
Well it appears that he doesn't think Maxton is an LSR event....
OK here is my take and my vote.  It is a topic on the forum... it is out there... it pertains to LSR.... so I leave the discussion on the forum, I don't add links, I probably will not visit the site again, once was enough for me....

OH, AND WE SHOULD ALL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO STAY OFF OF IT AS A TOPIC!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tim Thomssen

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
The title of the site is in bad taste and inappropriate, in my opinion two thumbs down.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 02:09:00 AM »
I agree that they name is in bad taste.

I will say that IMO I understand the rule book and implemented items are as a result of things learned directly from crash investigations however I would like the ability to know exactly why the rules and circumstances behind the rules.

Meaning.....

If 5- 1" lugs are necessary because during a spin(s) wheels were pulling off the lugs. I dont need to know what the result (injury-fatality) of the resulting spin but I do feel knowing that wheels pealing off is pertinent. Lets say someone has a very heavy vehicle, the knowledge that the lateral load can pull wheels could very well influence my decision on going larger then 1" or 6 or more lugs....but I dont know this....its not in the book.

The fact is that freedom of available information of cause and affect of incidents should be available for use by the people who are active participants should be available for the purpose of development of safer vehicles. Unfortunately this treads a fine line of information and tact.

I will say....

If I end up biting it in a crash I want EVERYONE to know what happened. If my injury can educate one future build then it wont be for nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also.....

Say what you will, I learned about of a bunch of early racers I had never heard of before and learned a bit about them that I may of never known about without seeing the site.

I cant really say what my feelings about it are.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 05:59:18 AM »
I don't understand why there is a need for a website dedicated to such, is there a demand or just a morbid fascination by the site's owner?
However, I think it would show respect by renaming it a "Land Speed Racer's Memorial" website.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
Well it appears that he doesn't think Maxton is an LSR event....
OK here is my take and my vote.  It is a topic on the forum... it is out there... it pertains to LSR.... so I leave the discussion on the forum, I don't add links, I probably will not visit the site again, once was enough for me....

OH, AND WE SHOULD ALL DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO STAY OFF OF IT AS A TOPIC!

Shut up Stainless!  :-D  :-* Love you... but.... SHHHHHhhhhh........  8-)

Done.
Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline t russell

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
I would not use land speed racing deaths! I would be softer as Deb said.I would have no crash pics.vids.etc.This would have to be done all in good taste.
just my 2 cents worth
terry

Offline TINY

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Has anyone thougt to ask people who have lost their loved ones what they think of all of this.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 12:39:23 AM »
Give this person credit he listens to what people have to say. He has changed the name of the site to
"Land Speed Racer Memorial".

I think it is great he is receptive to constructive criticism. I thank you for the change.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Online salt27

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »
I would like to see the photo of the Turbinator removed.
As Jon Amo said it does not belong on that site.

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
Keep voting in the poll, folks.  As Tm said -- the fellow has changed the name of his site, and he's emailed me a few times to follow up.  He also reports that he's had conversations with some of the folks on the Forum -- has been reading it per my suggestion -- and is trying to understand the various points presented to him.  The gives him an extra point or two.

But the poll runs through this Thursday -- so if you haven't made up your mind -- keep voting.  And no matter what -- I'm tickled that there are so many caring people on this Forum.

Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com