Leave it on the Forum as a post
12 (22.2%)
Put it into the "links" page of the site
17 (31.5%)
Make it a front page item
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: June 17, 2010, 03:41:58 PM

Author Topic: Land Speed Racing Deaths website  (Read 16031 times)

Offline mkilger

Re: Land Speed Racing Deaths website
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »
having  been on many of the crashes first hand, Glen too, dont know if Iam (down) with the idea. :|

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
I guess I'm OK with it if it is done tastefully but I'm having trouble getting past the title.

lsrdeaths.com      Land Speed Racer Deaths.

so final, so morbid. Has a negative connotation for me.

Ok, we know they've passed on and we all have to deal with that. We can't change the truth and I think he's trying to base the entries on the truth as he knows it so far. My problem is that a lot of these people are icons of the sport. Innovative people that were outstanding and well known in the sport. It's hard for me to get that warm & fuzzy fond remembrance when every page is lsrdeaths. It just feels so tabloid to me. I'm ok with the concept I'd just like to see it addressed & titled in a softer manor. I'm not sure what the answer is & I suppose I could make some suggestions but as it is now I likely won't revisit. At the moment I'm happy about certain omissions as then I have no reason to go back.

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »
I'm forming an opinion about the post of the site.  Let's see if you folks agree that we'd be better off putting the link on the links page of this website.  It'd be available to anyone that wants to see it - but not intrusively so.

Whaddaya tink?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
Not for me...that's my vote..we dont need a link for that unless Mel wants to be a site advertiser?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
Alright, I've put up a poll about the deaths website.  It'll run for seven days -- and then I'll look at the results and do whatever the heck I please, whether the poll agrees with me or not.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »

7 members including the founder of the death site..I don't think that is deserving of a link, why not just send a link to our insurance carriers and inform them that this is very risky if not a proven deadly hobby..if you have been close to a destroyed racing vehicle that the racer lost their life in/on and it is covered in blood and finding human tissue to clean up before the family/friends of the racer take it away you might have a different feeling towards that site.  :|

Many more here have seen more than I however it is gruesome and I always try to remember them when they were on the right side of the dirt.

I voted first, can you guess what I chose.. :-)

BonnevilleRacing.com
Male
Orlando Florida  
ct
Male - 61
astoria,oregon  

norman
Male - 62
Central PA  

Bucko
Site Owner
Male
West Jordan, Utah  

fvance
Male - 66
Bulverde, tx  

Fred Dannenfelzer
Male - 72
Santa Barbara Ca.  

RB Bob
Male - 61
Salt Lake City    
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:52:13 PM by John Noonan »

Offline k.h.

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »
Didn't go to the website, but voted not to have anything to do with it.  When the thread started, first thought was that information posted there could be introduced into litigation against racing clubs or vehicle ownwers or sponsors somewhere down the line.   Just my take, I'm still not going to the site so I've no history of acquiring information there.  This morning I sent a rulebook to an engine builder near Seattle, with the idea of sponsoring a car by supplying the motor.  I won't refer the engine builder to the site, either.  Or anyone else.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Warp12

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 07:06:27 PM »
I would suggest that anyone who has an issue with the site suggest a way to improve it.

Do we agree that the full circumstances of a fatality in our sport should be published?

I personally do...because I feel that it may help avoid such a circumstance in the future. It also helps to eliminate "rumors". I've head a lot of those, and if I posted them I am certain there would be outrage (toward the respected individuals who spread them). At minimum, some very hurt feelings.

Shane
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:25:05 PM by Warp12 »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
i think warp has a good grasp on reality                           willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »
Agreed!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline dw230

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
OK, I read some of the stories. I have been around for 47 years and like John I find some bum data.

Too negative for me, I voted no on the poll. Let him have his site and let it get lost in Al Gore's Internet.

How about he writes a site about how our competitors are successful in their quest?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:13 PM »
I am with John and DW.  Its something we don't need.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Freud

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
It seems to me that the reason we have an investigating crew is to analyze the evidence. Their conclusions lead

to the protection of the racers and frequently result in rules changes. In my opinion, we do not need to know every

detail regarding the accident. The details have been assessed and if there is information in that conclusion that

leads to a safety ruling, it is not necessary that we know every detail.

I would hope that the accident investigating group never has another incident to analyse and knowing that that is unlikely,

let us devote our efforts to eliminating deadly possibilities in our build and racing decisions.

No doubt, the site was devised to lead us in that direction.

Apparently it hasn't been presented in a manner that is unacceptable.  Thanks for the effort but don't be offended if few access

your presentation.

It's just a situation that is not palatable.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 11:38:09 PM »
I voted to have nothing to do with it. I found it a very strange website with the vehicles at the top of each section having nothing to do with the events depicted. There was no information that might advance the cause of safety in that any sanctioned event requires more stringent safety precautions than were used in most of the accidents. Several of the fatalities didn't involve land speed vehicles or land speed events.

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »
Death is part of life. No one that I know of has made it out alive. Just because someone dies when pursuing his or hers passion does not mean they were not a successful racer. All it means is something went very wrong on that particular run, and they paid the ultimate price. Racing is dangerous, and I think a site like this reminds us that we are not bullet proof. That we need to double check our cars or bikes to make sure everything in our power is up to snuff, so we don't end up on the same site.

I like Shane's idea of suggesting a way to improve it, instead of knocking it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.