Leave it on the Forum as a post
12 (22.2%)
Put it into the "links" page of the site
17 (31.5%)
Make it a front page item
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: June 17, 2010, 03:41:58 PM

Author Topic: Land Speed Racing Deaths website  (Read 16032 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Land Speed Racing Deaths website
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »
I recently got the following from Mel Bashore - and thought some of you might find it of interest.  Here's a copy and paste of his email to me:

"I have just launched a new website devoted to paying tribute to and information about those racers who died while in pursuit of land speed records.  I am adding landracing.com as a favorite link.  I have researched over 30 LSR racers who died from the 1920s to the present.  Each entry includes birth/death dates, age at death, location, event, biographical info, type of vehicle, video clips, photos of racer/car/grave, etc.  I'd be honored to have you share this with your web readers. The link is:  http://lsrdeaths.webs.com/

Mel Bashore
West Jordan, Utah"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Land Speed Racing Deaths website
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »
I am not sure we want all of this info. I have the history of SCTA incidents and others at the salt and lakes but we don't publish them. They are for record keeping in the assoc. only.If people want to go to his web site it's up to them.,
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
You raise an interesting point, Glen.  I don't want to be ghoulish, but I do want to post things that appear to be of interest to the land speed racing fraternity.  I don't always careful edit and inspect what's sent to me.  I'll do more of it, for sure.

But -- I'll leave this one up for a while and see if there's any interest or much activity.  Then -- if not -- it'll go away.

Thanks for your attention, as always.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »
I think it is a good thing. Cops have walls of honor to fallen comrades and we also have the Vietnam wall which does the same thing.  Kudos to Mel for putting this together!!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »
I looked at it and saw some information that was not correct however will not comment further about it..

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
John,
I am sure if there is bad info Mel would want to know.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:55:36 PM »
It may be a bit macabre, it might even be a bit frightening to some, but it is a reality.

Some people dwell on this type of information and it may take them to a bad place.
Some people will undoubtedly have emotions drug to the forefront of their minds when reminded of these events.
It will cause some to take pause at what it is they are doing in LSR and reevaluate what they are willing to risk.
Others will see this as nothing more than a memorial for those that have chased their dream and lost their life in the process.

Good, bad or otherwise, there is some merit in seeing this information. Whether or not it is something that needs to be kept forever, I dare not make that choice on behalf of others. Those that lost someone close to them, probably will not like being reminded. Maybe in time, they may view it differently, each person deals with loss in a different manner and on a different time scale.

I take the intent of the author at face value, I believe he is looking to memorialize those that have lost their lives while chasing a dream. There are probably many lessons here to be learned, some internal evaluation of this information may tell someone something about themselves. Seeing how some people may comment on the subject may infuriate others.

SSS, I would suggest that you take the approach you have outlined, wait and see where it goes. I would recommend that at the first crass, disrespectful or otherwise socially unacceptable post, pull the plug on the thread or purge the thread and make it read-only.

Again, there is some merit in remembering those that have tried and paid the ultimate price. There is some merit in reminding people that it isn't just about going as fast as you can. Pay attention to what you are building, don't be stingy with safety, your life may depend on it. When in doubt, build it stronger, better, safer than is necessary, it may be the most important thing you ever do.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:04:31 PM by bbarn »
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
Yes I am sure he would however maybe he should have done a better job looking up the facts or perhaps he did and was given incorrect info to begin with, if so then I am sure their is a good reason.

BBarn well thought out post  :cheers:

Offline Warp12

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 04:18:33 PM »
I think there are several notable omissions. I also think that sometimes such information is withheld to the detriment of the racing community.

I commend his efforts; I am sure he would welcome assistance in adding events and clarifying facts.

Shane

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
I've just sent an email to Mel Bashore, the guy that sent the list/link to me, asking him to take a look at the various comments here and then contact those that have raised questions about omissions or errors.  If he doesn't get around to it -- and I suggested he register as a member of the Forum to best be able to get in touch with any of you -- I'll ask him again - and might end up forwarding, through me, his queries and comments.

Thanks for the input, boys and girls.  I appreciate it.  Remember -- I'm trying to make landracing.com even more of an asset and repository of things pertinent to our avocation.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:16:34 PM »
Although none of us will ever know, those that have died may not object to being remembered in a considerate and truthful way.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
Although none of us will ever know, those that have died may not object to being remembered in a considerate and truthful way.

Their familys and friends may perhaps think otherwise...

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
I looked at the site briefly and thought it was fine. As long as it is accurate and respectful. I also think if someone sees errors they should contact Mel with the correct info.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »

Their familys and friends may perhaps think otherwise...

Have you looked at your signature lately John??  Which side of the argument do you want to be on?
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 10:53:32 AM »
I respect the dead and let them live on in my memories, I also don't need to be on either side of an argument.  :cheers:

I am sure Mel has countless hours pasting up what he found on the internet and writing "what he was told" however you should not always believe what you hear..

That's all.

John