Author Topic: Twin Engine Panther from England  (Read 108061 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Twin Engine Panther from England
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2010, 04:22:43 PM »
No I missed Santa but I did see the Easter Bunny once.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »
If its any help
2.137-1
140mm stock bott pulley/stock top 65.5
gives 12psi-ish @ 7000 rpm crank speed
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2010, 09:15:50 AM »
Santa Pod this sunday, Dave (Buzz Lightbeer) will be there its an all bike meet. Can give you a lift if you are up for it.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2010, 02:25:28 AM »
Only just saw this Oz. Man fixing my roof this morning. I'll try get up this afternoon

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2010, 05:27:54 AM »
picked up the main bits of laser cutting for the primary this weekend

some time in the future i have a mammoth machining weekeend of dullness - i need about 20 threaded spacers of various lengths to tie all this together - thats going to be a pain... but it needs doing

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
That trick dyno looks real interesting, any info on it to share?  :-D

Ed

Offline JimL

« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
Not sure I'd do the bypass loop on a supercharger....intake air temp gets high pretty quick.  I used that trick for controlling Eatons during automatic trans upshift and approaching redline (production based cars) to prevent breaking the engine (when the ECM runs past the window for KNK control).  Unfortunately, if your driver spends much time holding high RPM (while looping the airflow), the knock sensors break anyway....shortly before the pistons. 

I still chuckle about the day Montoya pulled a pace car into the pits (he had "celebrity rides duty" that day), saying "Jeem, Jeem, I have NOOOO POWER until six-thousand, two-hundred RPM....then BEEG POWER and CHECK ENGINE light on!"  Not thinking well, in the heat of the moment, I parallel jumpered the remaining "live" Knock Sensor into both banks of the ECM, then we rotated him back into that car. 

Pistons were gone in about 3 laps. :oops:  He was a real gentleman and didn't blame me....but it was my goof.

Lots of detonation when that intake air gets preheated over and over.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2010, 03:52:59 PM »
If you need anymore laser cutting give me a shout we can do upto 6mm mild at work ,,,,, Gratis.
oz

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
oz - i probably will bud - my contact has moved jobs next week so i cant get mates rates there any more

as for supercharges, slight change of plan - although it will be suercharged eventually - im getting it running normally aspirated for the first stage get the drive line all de-bugged first then supercharge. gives me chance to learn more too before i commit anything to steel

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
Sumo, I remember mentioning the bypass.  My background with blowers was all in industrial/agricultural applications as an apprentice.  Many years ago.  They were a relatively common way for us to regulate output power and engine rpm independently.  Basically, they were a large tube connecting the blower inlet to the blower outlet.  A gate valve or similar was on the tube.  We would shut the valve all of the way to allow full boost.  No bypass flow would occur.  We would open the valve all of the way to reduce blower efficiency.  A lot of air would recirculate around and through the blower.  Usually the valve was at some intermediate setting.  The way we had these set up, they altered the entire performance curve.  They would not "kick in at high rpm."

It is a long way from Utah to England and it must cost a fortune to get there and back.  A fellow might have the urge to make a few low-boost runs to gain some experience, make adjustments, get a few timing slips to bring home, and then close the bypass and run for the glory.

Beer can magnetos?       

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »
IIRC the stock Eaton valve isn't a pressure release, it's a bypass under high vacuum so that air can go from the TB directly to the IM without passing through the rotors.
An external BOV allows testing max boost w/o risking the engine - just pressurize the system and play with it (although it probably won't kick on/off at the same point in real time). I'd put it as close to the carbs as possible, so that pressure spikes at the rotors won't upset it, and you have the benefit of the plenum volume as a buffer.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
Sumo, I just read JimL's post about intake gas temp.  The industrial and agricultural stuff we used the bypasses on were very low stress engines running at a fraction of the speed of a race engine.  My advice is probably not good for a race engine.

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2010, 07:26:27 AM »
i just about have the drive side of things done and machined up [no pics yet]

im onto thinking exhaust - cant decide if i should go 2 into 1 or separate pipes. my understanding is on a twin cylinder bike 2 into 1 is better performance with its scavenging, do i treat it as 2 motors or with them being effectively joined a the crank as a twin cylinder? anyone any thoughts or logical argument either way? im falling towards 2into1 at the minute like B

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
if both cyls. fire at the same time,--
i would not join the systems together.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »
will be firing 360 apart for a kick off, dont know what ill end with but it wont be at the same time - that would be like trying to ride a jackhammer