Author Topic: Twin Engine Panther from England  (Read 108554 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: Twin Engine Panther from England
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
would that slow the speed of air flow
It's only air, it can completely stop because it speeds up again at the carb (it should have a gradual taper to do this, of course to avoid any buffeting).
The plenum volume consists of everything from the rotor's inter-lobe volume in the case, all tubes right up to the intake valves.

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »
spent a bloody lifetime machining up the 2 main pulleys, crappy phone pics coz my camera got wet on a run last weekend sorry

blank pulleys from the bearing shop with just a pilot hole. machined the teeth off a couple of sprockets so i could keep the taper part [steel was hard as hell, my little lathe was only just up to it - the neighbors loved me doing that job...]. then a fit into the back of the pulleys for them, large main bore for nut, then the other end for a bearing and milled out for puller bolt clearance

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2010, 08:59:48 AM »
the good news is that the belt arrived at the weekend and fits, cut one for now just because the motors dont turn so i cant walk the belt on but it will fit real nice without the need for a tensioner

just need to measure up the belt to the clutch and it will start to look like something even if it isnt yet.

found another M01 mag too so thats on its way to me now, will convert those 2 to electronic and im golden with a LUCAS  :evil: dyno on one of them for charge

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:02:24 AM by SUMO »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2010, 11:10:40 PM »
. . . and im golden with a LUCAS  :evil: dyno on one of them for charge

So you plan to incorporate a fire suppression system on the bike, too, eh? :wink:

I just got done bolting up a Lucas alternator myself, so I probably shouldn't throw stones.

This bike is too cool for the room!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2010, 04:12:52 AM »
i just made up the brake side of things, really simple stuff, just like panthers... whittled down a lump of flat stock, machined up some top-hats, welded in toe peg, made bracket etc and its ready for welding on when i decide roughly what angle i want the lever at.

and the tank i bought for the '33 panther chopper got dropped on last night too - i like it on there, also means i have all the space behind the seat for electrics now im having a thumb button electric shifter piston up under there taking some space...

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2010, 12:45:11 PM »
Hi fella
Why have an electric shifter its just one more that could go wrong, Have you still got a bad foot dude?
Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »
eyup bud - foots ok 90% of the time now just tweaks if i twist it wrong or something - if its not right in another 2 years ill be pissed  :-D

1 more thing to go wrong, i agree, but the layout of the bike would mean a real heath robinson lever pushing a lever pulling cable pushing who knows what type of setup that would give either sloppy shifts or miss-shifts. this way i get a good clean up and down shift.

i have kliktronic shift setup from a sidecar i had a few years ago [that flatbed sidecar] so can fit that onto this for next to nothing. kliktronik are pretty bullet-proof. they are basically just an electro-magnet in a tube so not all that breakable.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
Sumo, some advice based on what I saw last week.  Figure out a way to control your boost with different blower drive pulleys, etc.  Make an adjustable blow-off valve.  Incorporate gages as needed to monitor boost. 

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2010, 04:38:03 AM »
how do you have an adjustable blow off on a supercharger? would it not just sound like a road sweeper permanantly hissing when motor running? im looking at having a gauge for each engine [even though its off one manifold]. as far as i can work out for a supercharger you have to change pulleys to adjust boost - someone school me on that for sure - it would be nice to have some sort of turn button simple adjustment

quick dig about and got the kliktronic off an old sidecar i had last night.

need to have a work out of angle of the dangle but this is pretty close i think. should be an easy fit. just a tab on the frame. they are just an electromagnet so pretty bulletproof, the way the linkage was looking like it would have to go round corners, past frame tubes etc this is more reliable then a heath robinson mechanical setup.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:41:07 AM by SUMO »

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »
[quote

So you plan to incorporate a fire suppression system on the bike, too, eh?
[/quote]

When did Lucas ever cause anything to ignite?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2010, 01:34:29 AM »
A bypass hose from the pressure side of the charger to the intake side with a valve to control the flow.  With the valve open, you are recycling air through the charger and reducing its efficiency, and consequently, boost.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »
Lucas can ignite any combustible outside an engine. I have seen a dancing arc from a Lucas mag across a new Lucas cap. That coupled with Amal carb leaking should resulted in complete immolition of my trusty old BSA. Wish I had that bike today. I always enjoyed the smell gasoline on my hands from the ticklers. Lucas is the inventor of the short circuit and still hold the patent. I believe Amal invented the fuel leak and S&S has to pay license fee to Amal for allowing them to copy.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Is that a variant of "Ghia invented rust, and licensed it to Mercedes"?

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »
I havent heard the Ghia one but Amal is one of the first to discover how to make fuel leak and S&S now has it perfected. 

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
I have seen a dancing arc from a Lucas mag across a new Lucas cap.

Yeah right!  Betcha saw Santa Claus last Christmas too! : - )
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.