Author Topic: Twin Engine Panther from England  (Read 108045 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Twin Engine Panther from England
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »
the only alcohol was that that goes down my neck  

That's referred to as "assembly lube". :cheers:

This build is too hip.  Keep the posts coming. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline rockstar

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:07 PM »
There is one thing about the gasoline at Bonneville,it ain't plain,it comes in a variety of flavours and octanes,if i remember right we used VP110 and when filling the bike sitting on it,my eyes started watering and there was this nice smell of pear drops,so be carefull what you ask for :-D as they have some serious oxygenated gasoline.

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
Alcohol fuel is mentioned in a previous post.  This is probably a good choice.  It takes a lot of fuel to run an alky bike compared to a gasoline burner.  It is a good idea to make sure you have enough volume.  Fuel sloshing from side to side can be noticeable in a big flat bottomed tank up high.  A baffle plate down the center can help.

WW makes a good point.   I run a replica 5 gal. tank on my Norton.  It is a cheap replica and unbaffled.  If I let the level drop too low the fuel "dances" and leans the motor out noticibly.   At first I thought Lucas had gone into the fuel tank business until I figured it out.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »
At first I thought Lucas had gone into the fuel tank business until I figured it out.

I hate it when (cold) beer comes out my nose and covers my keyboard
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2010, 07:19:59 AM »
You aint got time to ride around on yer Harley I bet you went to the Cafe on the Hemel road for brekky!!! Get back in that garage and twirl em spanners!!

Will try to get over when I get back from my Hols.

TTFN Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2010, 07:31:24 AM »
bet i didnt - was on way home from the hotrod hayride... full weekend off - but was collecting a new clutch basket for this from someone there, so not entirely un-related

now i can start to measure properly the drive joining, and i need to work out a bearing system to support the outer end of a 3" pulley - thats the afternoons plan of attack anyhows

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »
I did you get a great fry up there yummy!!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2010, 05:03:48 AM »

got a few hours on the stump puller over the weekend. its slowly coming together. drive pulleys are half machined. i hacked up a rotted out old kawasaki set of pipes to give me some bends to play with for free and the simple exhaust solution looks like it will work nicely - 2 into 1 running below timing covers, front pipe extended over blower.

also got sorted in my head the routing for the blower. SU mounted on pressure side [rough mounted in pic] then long plenum cylinder running on right side of engines, spurring off to 2 cylinders. sounds simple eh... i bet it isnt to make work

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
two pumping pussies bellowing down the great white dyno-superb,fast work there sumo,looking great and functional,always loved the panthers.-see you in the wheatsheaf when oz gets back from monaco.
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »
Are you planning on blowing through the Skinners Union?

Joe

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2010, 01:56:16 AM »
That be the plan at the minute

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »
That is going to be a real challenge ... SU are old design technology and you are trying to do a lot with them ... Joe

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2010, 07:27:32 AM »
old tech maybe but bloody good and fairly simple carbs. [and lets be honest - panthers are beyond old technology... they were old technology in the 50's when these 2 motors were made]

ive not tried to blow trough one before but it sounds doable - if it doesnt work ill look at changing to a different carb setup, who knows what though, im liking the SU plan at the minute but worst case it goes on the shelf. ive not done anything with superchargers before so its all a learning curve, but thats half the fun

http://www.triumphexperience.com/article/how-to-blow-through-an-su.html

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »
Vizard makes some excellent comments in the Mini book about the factory turbo Metro, and how the fuel curve under boost can be addressed with a simple fabricated part in the air-horn.

I'm not sure how to run the plumbing, but you're inviting fuel drop-out by running plenum volume after the carb, especially if the X-section goes up. You may find yourself with a wet cylinder due to droplets running down the easiest path, and trying to jet lean to dry it up, etc.
I'd rather see storage before the SU, and short entries.
IMHO since the plenum volume is a buffer (not flow capacity), it need not be in-line with the compressor discharge to air-horn path, but can be suspended in parallel (as long as the connection is large enough, larger than the area of the main transfer with radiused intersect), or even a bottle. This last allows very rapid plenum vol changes, like for dyno work.

(wrestling with my own junk: H-D side-valve twin, 3-7/16" × 5" with chain-driven M-45 and single blow-through CV)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:27:23 AM by panic »

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
thanks for your info - ill look into what i can do to get the plenum volume on the other side of the carb - assuming i can just use a larger dia tube thats easy, but would that slow the speed of air flow? if i understand what you mean re the bottle you are talking of like a piggy-back plenum on the tube going to the carb. with the intake to the carb being long i assume this in itself be counted as  goodly part of the plenum volume

as for short entires - there lies my headache - the inlets on the engine are 18.75" apart, both facing backwards

i considered 2 carbs off 1 blower but just cant get my head round that at all if its even possible - as ive said before - very much at the lower end of a learning curve on the supercharger side of things

thanks for the words of advice
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:47:01 AM by SUMO »