Author Topic: Twin Engine Panther from England  (Read 108419 times)

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
Re: Twin Engine Panther from England
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 04:05:46 AM »
engines are 1951 and 1952 [and the spare will be 1953] so i drop into vintage nicely

as far as i can work out with this numbers/letters system

A/VPBG-1350

special construction, vintage, pushrod, supercharged, gasoline, 1350cc.

i cant see a record to aim for but im sure there will be one somewhere - to be honest - ill be happy to break 100mph on anything panther powered, whatever over that is a bonus
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:13:52 AM by SUMO »

Offline Tofu

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 08:18:22 AM »
Possibly the first 4 stroke Panther twin but not the first Panther twin, they had a Villiers 3T engined bike in 1959.

I have been following Landracing Forums for a while and I must admit that I think that it is the best. Love the technical issues, the humor, the friendship and if I was a bit closer to the salt would have a go at building a bike. However i shall have to live my dreams through the actions of others,

Cheers
Tom

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 08:28:38 AM »
ok if we are playing at semantics - first twin engined panther i think :-D  and they made a prototype v-twin in the early 1900's but the war put a stop to production apparently. im slowly gathering bits to build a v-twin panther engine myself - panhead bottom end, panther barrels & upwards

Offline Tofu

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 11:37:07 AM »
Who was the colourful character that raced a Panther sidecar outfit in the Uk vintage events?  Chris Williams :?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »
there is no pushrod class in vintage---everyone runs in the same class--flatheads get a 1/3 displacement break---your class will be    A-VBG   the record at bonneville is  142.020 mph ---you would be better off running in the A-PBG class the record is only 104.970 mph             willie buchta
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:14:02 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 12:16:45 PM »
Will the English invasion be at BUB or Speedweek?  I will definitely figure out a way to get there, either way. 

Speedweek is what we are aiming for but if we win the lottery we will be staying for BUB or that is what the main OZCO contingent Chris (Desperate) on his Indian,Dave(Buzz Lightbeer) with an EFE Suzuki PJ (Beerbellykelly) with a Vello,Vinny Dave with a funnily enough Vincent or is it a Vinton you get the picture,Another few of PJs mates with an old Bonny and myself with the CBR and the Jawa if I get enough time to build it, phew are trying for and oops Sumo with his Panthers,I reckon the container is going to be full!

TTFN Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
thats a great help cheers - its my first attempt at getting through these class numbers

and 104.5 - a sensible number for a panther powered machine to aim at  :cheers:

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »
What you doin on the computer get back in the garage tick tock tick tock!

Willie is a top bloke to ask for rule and tech questions I reckon he reads the rule book to get to sleep at night.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:28:15 PM by oz »
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 12:28:29 PM »
im at work still :-D

surely im not the only one that uses company time to draw bike parts up n do research...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:34:50 PM by SUMO »

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
"to run in the 1350 cc class you will have to be under 1350 cc---not counting a .020 overbore and in vintage a .050 overbore "

Good, I'm educated. Carry on.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
Dan --

In motorcycles, "displacement" numbers are only used for classification purposes.  You were confused as you mistakenly thought they had to do with actual displacement.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
Sumo, you can get some inspiration from a copy of Iron Horse Issue #130.  That is this month's issue and it is on the newsstands here in America.  It has an article about Paul Friebus, a fellow from South Africa, and his Harley flatheads.  He is running them at just under 140 mph at Speedweek.  That is amazing, all considered.

Maybe it would save time and money to develop a single engine Panther, then, after everything is perfected, to build another engine for the double.  This would save a lot of time and money.  Just a suggestion. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 11:18:19 PM »
Dan, it is hard enough to keep the car rules straight.... you needn't trouble yourself with the ever changing bike rules...  luckily for us, we seem to swing both ways....  :-o  no not like that.... :|  I mean cars and bikes, sometimes even with the same motor.
Back to topic, looking forward to seeing this one, keep the pics coming
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline pookie

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
Hi SUMO,  Hey I like your avatar, it looks like the guy from Hawaii who made yokozuna. I am I correct?  Also like your project..... Good luck, Mike R.

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 05:33:11 AM »
Maybe it would save time and money to develop a single engine Panther, then, after everything is perfected, to build another engine for the double.  This would save a lot of time and money.  Just a suggestion. 

yup - im throwing this one together quick and dirty like, out of spares in the shed so i have a single engine testbed that will fit on the rolling road i have access to. the other panther i have at the minute i converted to a trike last year so solo bike is needed too  :-D  one engine first for it get dialed make mistakes, then build 2 for the twin bike