Author Topic: Twin Engine Panther from England  (Read 108041 times)

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
Re: Twin Engine Panther from England
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »
collected today - threw a coat of primer on it and then back together - the frame is cock on. on re-assemble everything just slotted together not bending or hammering or any other bullshit most custom stuff has to deal with

was happy before - even more happy now

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
Nice
Nice

no space for a fridge in the garage so the beer is whatever temperature it happens to be sitting in a dark corner under the bench - its summer so its warmish at the minute, in winter its nicely chilled

I thought it was because Lucas made fridges
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2010, 12:04:41 AM »
Sumo -

I should have warned you.  Anytime anybody posts about anything British on these boards, one of two things will inevitably occur.

It will either degenerate into twisted sexual innuendo or a Lucas joke - and usually the latter.

So while Grummy has steered this thread straight into the gutter, let me attempt to put it back on the high road.

That's a nice pair of jugs. :cheers:

Over and out . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2010, 12:50:28 AM »
Sumo,
     There's almost a beauty in the uniqueness of this project. Please keep posting pictures. So where do you find all those Panther parts?
                                                                                  -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2010, 12:56:08 AM »
In reality, all Lucas jokes are severely twisted sexual innuendo, cause if you're farking around with Lucas stuff, you're screwed and may as well laugh about it.

Sumo -

I should have warned you.  Anytime anybody posts about anything British on these boards, one of two things will inevitably occur.

It will either degenerate into twisted sexual innuendo or a Lucas joke - and usually the latter.

So while Grummy has steered this thread straight into the gutter, let me attempt to put it back on the high road.

That's a nice pair of jugs. :cheers:

Over and out . . .
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2010, 04:24:39 AM »
Sumo,
     There's almost a beauty in the uniqueness of this project...

There's almost a beauty in the uniqueness of this project

.-)

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »
no lucas here, as for sexual innuendo - building a super pussy like this i expect no less

mum and dad left a few hours ago, dad left the mag adapter he started for me on an adult size lathe - i finished things off on my little lathe - drops in dandy

im going to run 2 single fire mags but this one i had on the shelf to experiment with [ignore the lovely blue clutch spring holding mag up couple of holes need drilling and helicoiling]

also im looking at drive side measurements over a cider or 2 - looks like i have plenty of room to play with. about 2 1/2 inches by quick eyeball measurements

Offline AHG

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »
Hello,
Your machine seems to be coming together well.

Just a brief observation regarding your magneto.
Many years ago the clear mag top was the "IN" thing, and still is aesthetically very cool;
as you can see the components working.

However, it also acts on the same principle as a plant terrarium, and will produce much condensation,
caused by the Sun's rays coming through, that can eventually begin to drip onto the points
and all other magneto internals.
A regular black bakelite cover would be much better, and less troublesome in the long run.

:cheers:
Drew Gatewood

~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »
yea - popular conception on clear mag caps is that but im still unconvinced. i have done tens of thousands of miles on clear mag cap on my shovel and no problems at all. im of the opinion that its just because you can see it people flap about a tiny bit of condensation - i think you get the same in a heat sink black coloured cap but its hidden so out of sight out of mind...

having said that - i will be running 2 single fire mags anyways on this thing [thats my spare shovel mag on it just to work out how to do it before spending cash on parts], and i think you can only get black caps with the single fires

thanks for the heads up though

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »
tank thinkings

looking at this and i have a nice space here if i use a fuel pump. made a quick poly-board rough up and it fits nice and holds a decent amount of fuel

the rule book seems really easy going on fuel tanks - all i have seen is "the gas tank shall be mounted and constructed in a workmanship-like manner"

can i make it out of anything? im thinking carbon-kevlar. my dad has just finished a 125 GP race tank and it looks the bollocks, much easier for me to do funny shapes that way rather than making it out of metal

any ruling on mounting position or material?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:16 PM »
Alcohol fuel is mentioned in a previous post.  This is probably a good choice.  It takes a lot of fuel to run an alky bike compared to a gasoline burner.  It is a good idea to make sure you have enough volume.  Fuel sloshing from side to side can be noticeable in a big flat bottomed tank up high.  A baffle plate down the center can help.

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »
Remember SCTA--5 liter minimum capacity.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »
The clear cover on the mag won't be a problem if its a Lucas mag.  There won't be any spark to see anyway. 

What??????   You were expecting a constructive remark?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:40:20 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2010, 04:27:14 AM »
Remember SCTA--5 liter minimum capacity.

even now you have told me that i cant find it in the book [is there a more detailed rule book than the DL envelope size one i got off SCTA website?]

tank is about 5L so i'll have a measure and can change to suit no problem if thats the only issue with it

The clear cover on the mag won't be a problem if its a Lucas mag.  There won't be any spark to see anyway.
What???   You were expecting a constructive remark?

not at all - its a hunt mag  :-D

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2010, 04:29:26 AM »
Alcohol fuel is mentioned in a previous post.  This is probably a good choice.  It takes a lot of fuel to run an alky bike compared to a gasoline burner.  It is a good idea to make sure you have enough volume.  Fuel sloshing from side to side can be noticeable in a big flat bottomed tank up high.  A baffle plate down the center can help.

the only alcohol was that that goes down my neck  :cheers: - im looking to run on plain old petrol.