Author Topic: Twin Engine Panther from England  (Read 108063 times)

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
Re: Twin Engine Panther from England
« Reply #150 on: June 21, 2011, 01:45:40 AM »
yep. still underway, been a bit of a standstill with other jobs taking precedence and various things. I'm at a stage now of needing to build a couple of engines

I've decided on my spec. now. I'm going to do a head with the stuff I think will work for my solo panther and if it makes the increases I expect then do 2 for the twin

plan is keeping it relatively simple, yam tr1 valves make a 34mm carb fit. it is already over exhausted so that should make it breath better. if that works as panned I need to do a couple and then the rest of 2 motors with various bits modified. once I have motors it will either run or not. then I see if my engine linkage hangs together of fails spectacularly taking 2 new motors with it...

I hope to have it running about Xmas but that might come back to haunt me....

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »
i know there hasnt been much progress for too long but now i have the funds in place to get the 2 motors together

motors are out of the stump puller over xmas and i have dug out all my part engines to help make up the parts deficit

i have amassed 3 sets of cases that are old enough to drop in class so theres a chance i might even manage a spare engine to take with me

they are off to polish / blast etc as soon as they open up after the new year. then its on again

might not be the xmas tree knucklehead photo everyones seen but its all mine :)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2012, 03:52:35 PM »
Happy New Year and its good to hear and see that this project is progressing!  I was giving some thought to building a 500c Sunbeam but gave up on the open valves.  Built a 201.44cc Triumph Cub and set a record in 2011. I am sure 2 Panthers will go faster than 2 Cubs!  One suggestion on your chasis............loose the front brakes. Regarding the belts, I hope you have a divider of some sort on the rear pully to keep the belts from rubbing sides. You've got a great looking and uique build going............see on the salt!
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2012, 05:09:29 PM »
cheers
I'm going to be testing on 1/4 miles. you don't get all that far to stop :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »
It is nice to see that the build is still happening.  Me thinks there are more Panther engines leaning against your chimney than we have in Oregon.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
rare as hen's teeth in NY as well ... please dont blow anymore up ... certainly a beautiful engine ... They are rare enough.
Joe

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:02 AM »
A welcome post from the east side of the pond.  Yeah, you'll need the front brake for the quarter, but you'll have plenty of space to slow down on the salt.

Keep us posted, Sumo.  Even the little things on a build like this are interesting.

Happy New Year!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2012, 07:32:17 AM »
not rare over here  :-D - can find them all day long for not too much money if you ask around - i have about the cost of 1 shovelhead motor in that pile of engines

not the most exciting thing in the world to see but did the dye penetrant testing on the cases yesterday

no cracks so im happy, there are a few chips on corners that im getting welded up then im good to go

i also have a rolling chassis for a rigid panther [just knocking about like haha] so im going to put together a test-bed bike [this weekend probably] so i can get the motors on the rolling road i have access to [twin wont fit, and i want the motors right before joining them up anyway]. wont be anything much more than a rolling chassis with a gearbox and a tank so we can get it on the machine and see what we are achieving

im building 2 different spec motors, testing each on the rolling road and then altering the slower of the 2 to match the faster

things are creeping forwards

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
spent a day piecing this together. the test bed for the engines individually so I can get it on the rolling road

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
Sumo, the Gulf Norton is in the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, according to a magazine I have.  It is recently restored.  It originally had double Triumph engines, then they switched to two Nortons.  An odd decision, for sure.  It was built by Denis Manning and Boris Murray.  Boris was a successful drag racer with doubles.  Maybe looking at that bike might be a help.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2012, 10:10:34 PM »
Sumo, the Gulf Norton is in the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, according to a magazine I have.  It is recently restored.  It originally had double Triumph engines, then they switched to two Nortons.  An odd decision, for sure.  It was built by Denis Manning and Boris Murray.  Boris was a successful drag racer with doubles.  Maybe looking at that bike might be a help.
Don't know if it survived the fire but Don Sliger's Royal Enfield double used to be there too!
There are some pictures I took in the 1970 photo album when he broke 200 mph.
http://www.landracing.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=213&page=2
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:36 AM »
yea I was up there a while since. they have a few twin engine bikes there. pretty cool place

Offline Ivan S

• New folks
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
Don't know if it survived the fire but Don Sliger's Royal Enfield double used to be there too!
There are some pictures I took in the 1970 photo album when he broke 200 mph.
http://www.landracing.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=213&page=2
Sliger's double is still there...

Offline SUMO

• VintageChop.com
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2012, 04:06:47 AM »
start on the "making shit go faster" stuff for the test engine

crank assembly minus piston weighs a hefty 32lb. way way too heavy to rev, panthers run at about 4500 I want to run about 5500 not high reving by any means but still as a percentage it's a pretty big difference. im dropping it down to around 20lb and see what happens

you can actually pick it up one handed now haha

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »
My thoughts on the lightened flywheels:  Panther, and all big British singles and 360* crankshaft twins, used heavy flywheels because you can't balance the motors.  They were usually only balanced to 50 to 65% of  upper end reciprocating weight, so they wouldn't vibrate fore and aft so badly.  By lightning up the flywheels, and increasing the rpms, you may find significant vibration.  I'm using a 250cc crankshaft (lighter weight, shorter stroke) in my B50 BSA (500cc), and I got blisters on my hands from trying to keep the handlebars from jumping off the bike.  Heavier flywheels should not hurt performance if you have a long enough approach as we do at Bonneville.  Drag racing is a different story, and lighter flywheels are usually beneficial for quick acceleration. If you have spares, you may want to try one before you lighten up both motors.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!