Author Topic: No action in 2010?  (Read 5638 times)

Offline ski123

No action in 2010?
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »
Is it just me, or does it look like ther will be no attempt on the ALSR in 2010?  With all the hype the teams put on this year they look to come up empty for 2010.  You saw all the articles and stories, the websites and Facebook.  Well it may add up to nothing but a ploy to take sponsors money.  At one time last fall there were a rumored 5/6 teams with their hat in the game, what happened?  SSC Bloodhound still seems to be the most professional as far as technology (car & media) fundraising too.  NAE, well I saw their media blitz.  USA USA USA on the 4th of July, 20??.  oops!  Bullet Project put up a fancy site then never updated it.  LSR1000 never even got their website of the ground. Under construction still?  Waldo's  LSRV seems to change designs every time he spends some money.  2000 mph right?  I think Waldo should finish his attempt on ice, now that was cool.  JetBlack in NZ looked cool perhaps a LSR attempt but they have gone quietly away.  Then you have Rosco's AI5R wich may just be the frontrunner at this time.  He has been working with the UAE, they may still have a bit of money left in the gulf, that would help.  So who do you think will make the first pass over 500mph?  Nobody but the SSC Bloodhound seem to emit any tangible confidence to me, how about you.  Good luck to all involved.  As an American I would love to see my country on top of the podium, but...

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: No action in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »
Unh, to tell the truth, 123 -- I think it's just you.  Ed Shadle and the entire N A E group are moving right along.  I don't see how their progress can be dismissed as a "media blitz".  They've been making test runs - pretty much on their schedule, I believe.  SSC is still on the drawing board -- as well it should be at this very early stage.  As for "Waldo" -- sorry, but I'm not up to date in ALSR parlance.  Who's that?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »
Ed posted just last month -

We're back in the hangar for a few weeks then a full dress (tail cone, nose cone) and all) for an evening
engine run, mid June at Shelton. We want to get some good photo shots of the afterburner in the evening
light.......Ed

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline bbarn

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:10:35 PM »
SKI123, send me a check for a minimum of $50K (USD) and we'll let put your name on the side of our car. Then you can be part of a 500+ attempt. Find two buddies with an extra $50k each and we will do it in 2010!  :-D

Seriously though, Look around at the economy, many people are positioned to take the next step but you can't make a living building an LSR vehicle. These kinds of projects are at best considered funded with discretionary monies. Whether you are going for 100 mph or 500 mph, it all takes money. When the economy comes back, I'm sure you will see more people advancing toward their goals. Until then, I don't know what everyone else is doing, but we are planning, testing, retesting, redesigning and testing some more. When the "fun fund" gets built back up, we'll resume welding. Until then, we are just building models like a couple of kids.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline ski123

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:07:01 PM »
Sorry if you think I am only being negative.  SSS, yes the NAE has been doing some testing/photo op events.  But they spent alot of time hyping their project for runs this year.  How long are the sponsors in it for?  No results = no money.  They will eventualy stop funding someones personal dreams in favor of keeping their company financials in order.  We all know the ALSR is an ego thing anyway.  Myself I liked the Fossett plan a few years ago.  Buy the car, fix it up, drive for the record and be over with it! bbarn what kind of car are you running?  Waldo's site is www.sonicwind.com I doubt we will ever see a finished vehicle, but I sure hope we do.  Think ice Waldo, you can do it!  Well, all one can do is hurry up and wait.  I am glad I was on the Black Rock for SSC THRUST II and Breedlove's SOA last runs, will it ever happen again?  Good luck to all the teams.  And good luck getting any more media coverage, they want action too.  I bet I will be right, no runs over 500 mph this year. I think the record will be surpassed in 2012 by the British with Rosco nipping at thier butt.  Unfortuately it will be in either S. Africa or UAE. Think Slow and Drive Fast!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
Ski,

We ran a AA/BGL in '09, we were planning on sporting around in a liner for '10, but looks like it will be '11. The plans are off of the drawing board, the solid models are complete and we are just starting a 1/10th scale model for testing this week. We should have a working model prototype in the next couple of weeks that we are going to run some "high speed" scale runs with to check stability and aero.

Hopefully, we can get full on into the build in the next few months. Engine and tranny are already up and running in a test vehicle and proven to be very reliable. Once we get the chassis and body complete, we will simply perform a transplant of the power, turbos and tranny into the liner.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline debgeo

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:36:58 PM »
SKI 123 I am also a newbie. Interested in what will you be running at the salt this year?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:31:24 PM by debgeo »
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »
Apparently you have never been lead to www.target550.com.

It's being worked on daily. When to be done?  If progress is too slow to satisfy you, send a load of money.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:09 PM »
We conducted our last static test of the J-79 in the North American Eagle this July 4. All systems are go and now we're working on other things in order to get out to Edwards AFB (if we can find $26,000) in the fall. You can check out our last update on www.landspeed.com, click on Fireworks NAE style.
Ed

Offline SaltShaker54

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 11:01:42 PM »
We conducted our last static test of the J-79 in the North American Eagle this July 4. All systems are go and now we're working on other things in order to get out to Edwards AFB (if we can find $26,000) in the fall. You can check out our last update on www.landspeed.com, click on Fireworks NAE style.

Ed and Team NAE

Good luck this year this is an amazing sport the ALSR I seen a lot over the years and a true American team as yours is heart felt all over the US. I know you will bring it home you all worked so hard over the years for this 800mph is in your grasp. Go get it Ed we are with you 100%
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:06:20 AM by SaltShaker54 »
"Salt Shaker 54"

The Studebaker Over The Hill Gang

Project Blown Fuel Altered Coupe 54 Stude

landracing

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 02:24:57 AM »
You simply have to admire the people of the past. Like Art Arfons, built it to fit in his bus, strapped a jet engine to frame towed out and lit the darn thing off and went over 600 mph. Maybe a test fire at home strapped to the tree, a couple rides in his home built centrifuge and off he went. Blueprints in his head. And went to banging metal. Not much sponsorship, he just made it happen.

JonAmo

Offline F104A

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
Like Arfons and others of that era, we've had to do this from scratch with wild idea's. Many people criticize us for
not just "going for it". If you ask those who have been there, Craig, Andy, Rosco, etc. they will all agree that just
getting in there and going for it is a formula for disaster. We've taken this step by step, much like an aerospace
project. Marlo and the others all agree with this slow pace because it is the safest path. Besides, we don't have
the megabucks funding like the Brits. We can't even get the support of our government to let us run at Edwards
without buying it. I'd say we've turned the last corner and we can see the finish line down that staightaway.
We just need a company to put their logo on the side of the car for the upcoming Discovery documentary. You
would think that one hour coverage, seen all over the world, would inspire some company marketing exec to see
the benefits and sign up. Go figure!
Ed

Offline SaltShaker54

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
Like Arfons and others of that era, we've had to do this from scratch with wild idea's. Many people criticize us for
not just "going for it". If you ask those who have been there, Craig, Andy, Rosco, etc. they will all agree that just
getting in there and going for it is a formula for disaster. We've taken this step by step, much like an aerospace
project. Marlo and the others all agree with this slow pace because it is the safest path. Besides, we don't have
the megabucks funding like the Brits. We can't even get the support of our government to let us run at Edwards
without buying it. I'd say we've turned the last corner and we can see the finish line down that staightaway.
We just need a company to put their logo on the side of the car for the upcoming Discovery documentary. You
would think that one hour coverage, seen all over the world, would inspire some company marketing exec to see
the benefits and sign up. Go figure!

Ed

We have been following your progress through your web site you all have done an amazing job. What "G" forces does that  Jet Car
put on you as a driver? Will you be going back to Black Rock Nevada?
"Salt Shaker 54"

The Studebaker Over The Hill Gang

Project Blown Fuel Altered Coupe 54 Stude

Offline F104A

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »
I don't expect to go back to BR. I checked on the lakebed conditions a couple days ago and the report
is the same, rough! If we can find money, Edwards can give us 11.5 miles. Might be enough but not sure.
The other venue is Diamond Valley which Breedlove had surveyed and Fossett considered. Only problem is
terrible logistics. Nearest town with any services is Eureka, NV about 40 miles away. The lakebed is
beautiful and is about 16 miles long. The only access is a jeep trail about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile long off a
gravel road that runs up the West side of the lakebed. I'd have to get a special use permit from the
BLM just to improve the jeep trail then restore it to original condition when my permit runs out. The other
problem, besides the politics, is housing and so on for the team. All that takes money! We are really hoping
that some company will help us get out the Edwards. The logistics are much easier to work with but the
government beaurocracy makes up the difference.
Ed

Offline ski123

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
BUMB!