Author Topic: 1st timer questions  (Read 5143 times)

Offline TomC

• New folks
1st timer questions
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »
This summers event at Loring will be my first LSR.  That means I have a few rookie questions. Thanks for your patience with these questions:

1. for gas class's do you bring your own or is there gas at the track?
2. Since numbers are assigned at the track, are stickers / decals with numbers given out there ?  I would not know what ones to buy to bring along.  I guess tape would work.. 
3. If i run in 2 classes what one should be on the bike  and also should i wait for tech inspection to see what class the judges say I should run in.  ( I am pretty sure but you never know since I am a first timer)

Thanks
TomC
Krypton Racing

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: 1st timer questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
This summers event at Loring will be my first LSR.  That means I have a few rookie questions. Thanks for your patience with these questions:

1. for gas class's do you bring your own or is there gas at the track?
2. Since numbers are assigned at the track, are stickers / decals with numbers given out there ?  I would not know what ones to buy to bring along.  I guess tape would work.. 
3. If i run in 2 classes what one should be on the bike  and also should i wait for tech inspection to see what class the judges say I should run in.  ( I am pretty sure but you never know since I am a first timer)

Thanks
TomC

Tom, all good questions.

1. For gas class you buy it on site from the track vendor (they should have 3 or 4 choices)
2  I would bring some tape, a fat Sharpie marker, some white shoe polish, or some die cut numbers, between all that you will be Ok  another thought is pre register and call and see if you can get your number ahead of time.
3. The bike number will not change just because you change classes, only the class designation so you can change class letters at the track.  3" minimum size, so have the items in answer #2 above handy.

Good luck and see you there

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »
Charles, since you brought up the subject -- and since you've not gone to Bonneville yet -- here's a note for your consideration. 

At SCTA/BNI events your vehicle number MUST change from class to class.  That is, if you run 608 in E/CGALT (or whatever class) and you then decide to go to fuel class, for instance -- you'll need a different number.  Lots of times the base number is chosen by someone that's taken the time to go through the list of available numbers to find ones that are easy to change -- such as making 608 become 1608 -- or 6081.

But that is NOT the case at Maxton, TomC -- so Charles' advice is spot-on for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
Charles, since you brought up the subject -- and since you've not gone to Bonneville yet -- here's a note for your consideration. 

At SCTA/BNI events your vehicle number MUST change from class to class.  That is, if you run 608 in E/CGALT (or whatever class) and you then decide to go to fuel class, for instance -- you'll need a different number.  Lots of times the base number is chosen by someone that's taken the time to go through the list of available numbers to find ones that are easy to change -- such as making 608 become 1608 -- or 6081.

But that is NOT the case at Maxton, TomC -- so Charles' advice is spot-on for you.

Jon, yes for SCTA I have 3 numbers registered in my name (just in case I change classes) I don't think I will run more than one class with the Stude's salt debut... but as you said, I answered the new guy's question  for LTA and ECTA races. 

Hope to see you in 3 weeks.

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
There is only one gasoline choice for production and the other gas classes.  It should be 100 octane and you will need to buy it from the vendor at around $10 or $11 gallon.  Last year, at least early on, there was a 5 gallon minimum and he wasn't pouring and sealing tanks.  I wasn't prepared to change it out myself, or cart the extra 3 gallons home inside my Cherokee, and was forced to switch to fuel class.  This year I have a truck and will have a jug or two but am hoping I can just buy the 2 gallons I need.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:04:53 PM »
Milt,  thanks for the info... I will bring an extra 5 gallon fuel jug.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline half-fast

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:36:06 PM »
Last year, the 'event gas vendor' did in fact seal tanks.
I think the pre-orders were minimum of 5 gal, but at track get what you want.

Speaking of that.....Bob is the 'event gas vendor' same as '09?

Offline half-fast

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
Oh yeah, there were multiple choices of 'gas' so long as it was no lead and wore the VP label, I can't recall all the offerings but there should be a thread on here from last years 'gas vendor'.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
It would be nice if we knew who the vendor was and what brand and octane choices he will have at the track.

I need leaded race gas somewhere in the range of 110 to 116 octane.

OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »
I sent a note to our gas vendor, VP in Eliot,ME asking him to peruse this thread and basically answer all your fuelish questions.
Be nice if race gas prices fell the way pump gas has of late, but don't hold your breath.
Bob  W

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
Hey Bob,

I have asked several local race gas vendors why the cost has not come down yet  and they all answer the same... Race gas does not increase as fast as pump gas does in increasing markets and therefore when prices fall it takes longer for it's price to fall (if at all)

Remember race gas is usually sold to a "captive audience"  it does not have to be cheap, just available....

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:46:29 PM »
Charles,
My personal observation is also gas prices rise a lot faster at the pump than they fall due to wholesale price changes. If any  fuel dealer pays X dollars and has a full tank sitting underground  for   <month, and he's low volume,  he's a lot more likely to raise the price if the wholesale price goes up,irregardless of the price he originally paid.
The good news is everybody's truck should have relatively low prices for gas/diesel through this summer , and if you drive home slowly after LTA 2010, you'll get decent mpg as it's downhill to everywhere USA. Except where SSS Jon W  lives in Uppa US.
Bob

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
Bob,

:-D  "drive home slowly"  haha  :evil: :cheers:    NEVER !!! :cheers:

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:10:55 PM »
It was understandably chaotic early last year.  I was one of the first in line and the vendor was not aware of the need to seal tanks.  He was also only offering the 5 gallon can of the unleaded 100.  I do remember him taking on the sealing requirement eventually but he hadn't changed from the 5 gallon minimum by the time i had to make a decision so I went fuel and headed to town to fill her up.  I want to believe you and expect things to run smoother this time but I'll be bringing an extra empty jug and siphon just in case this time around.

Offline legend6me

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 02:58:47 PM »
Sorry about being late to the party.  Bob Wanner has requested my presence at his gig again this year and I told him that I'd be happy to.  My daughter and I had a great time last year.  I'm not sure about pricing for this year yet, but I can tell you that it will be similar to last year.  I will be taking pre-orders for a discount like last year.  Bob has also asked me to facilitate all fuel testing and tank sealing.  Show up with an empty fuel cell and I will fill it to your request and seal it.  I'll even hold any fuel that you buy in impound for the weekend.  I'll need to have a discussion with BW about what he wants me to do with tanks containing fuel.  I'll look back at my records to see what I should sell by the gallon, but probably C12 and maybe others.

Bob Taylor, Eastern VP Sales
280 Beech Rd, Eliot, ME 03903 207-439-3568