Author Topic: Interesting proof of exhaust thrust from a piston engine.  (Read 22915 times)

Offline wilcox garage

Re: Interesting proof of exhaust thrust from a piston engine.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 12:29:49 AM »
On some of the turbocharger pro-mod cars they have "bull horns" ( exhaust out of the turbo turned up out the side of the car) for downforce.
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798

Offline jl222

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:24 AM »
Hi ya'll,
I've seen flops go up even when the headers stay on.  I saw a the picture yesterday of the explosion but I couldn't tell if the headers were still attached to the head.  The height is usually due to the explosion under the body, just like a can with a cherry bomb under it.
POPS

When I was watching they showed the run over and over + I can back up the video and stop it myself. there was no explosion and the header did come way off. All the fire under the car was from the exhaust ports minus the headers before he shut it down.

JL222

Offline bbarn

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 10:10:47 AM »
Rob had his Tempest up on the dyno a few weeks ago. When he was making a full pull, the exhaust had the trees waving wildly out to about 75 or 80 feet! The loose ends of the tie-downs were standing straight out (about 10 feet) like a flag in a hurricane. There was a piece of 1.24 tubing about 5 feet long that was caught in the wind stream and it flew about 30 feet.

Next time we have it up on the dyno, at a minimum I want to put an anemometer in the flow to see what kind of speed it has. Might even put a cart with some weight just to see if we can measure the force.

btw, that was through mufflers too! :evil:
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »
Brandon,
Good morning, how are you? Talk with Rob regularly. Sounds like Vinny is getting ready for flashlight drags or is it Maxton this time.
Detective Dave

Offline bbarn

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »
Brandon,
Good morning, how are you? Talk with Rob regularly. Sounds like Vinny is getting ready for flashlight drags or is it Maxton this time.
Detective Dave

Doing well, thanks for asking Dave!

Vinnie made the flashlight drags two weekends ago. Time for new set of hides though, it is hard keeping the skins on 1,400HP and an (unprepared) runway! btw, he is now making big power on pump gas (94), that is what he was working on with the dyno. I think it was with only 17lbs of boost and 94 octane it was 1,050HP. Sure is fun to watch people's reaction to seeing an almost stock '63 Pontiac run 8.92/163 in the 1/4!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »
I stumbled across this while looking for information on the Republic XF-12:

"All of the exhaust from the P&W R-4360 was ducted straight out of the back of the nacelles. This provided additional thrust. Research showed that roughly 250 equivalent horsepower was generated by each engine exhaust during high speed cruise at 40,000 ft."

The XF-12 was a very efficient aerodynamic design, well worth looking at closely.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Robin UK

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
And then of course there is this. Italian designs are always so elegant aren't they?   :-D

http://fly.historicwings.com/2012/10/the-flying-barrel/

Robin

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
That one looks like a cross between a ducted fan and a Custer channel wing.

When I think of beautiful Italian designs, I think of Pinin Farina, Bertone, or Sophia Loren.  :-D

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
    That has to be the "Edsel" of airplane design.  :evil:

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
That plane proves that with enough power and big enough wings even a pig can fly!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Mr411Fan

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:05 PM »
I do know that on the 411 streamliner, Tom & Gene went to a considerable amount of design and construction to make the exhaust exit at exactly the right place Tom wanted it to create a vortex and assist pulling air from under the car and around the back.  Tom told me once that at speeds over 400mph exiting your exhaust straight out the side can cause enough aero drag that it would be like giving up 800hp or so.

Offline ETM

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
Thrust

Exhaust exiting a typical exhaust pipe does not create significant thrust.  When a mass is accelerated in one direction thrust is the force in the opposite direction.  This happens at the point where the acceleration occurs which is typically not the exhaust tip. Most of the thrust occurs when the exhaust goes from stationary in the cylinder to vMax as it exits the exhaust port.  There are only a few PSI in a properly sized exhaust pipe, releasing that pressure at the tip creates minimal thrust.  There is typically very little fuel still burning/expanding in the pipe as it approaches the tip. Air already moving at speed is not thrust.

Inertia

“So when I put my hand at the end of a tailpipe I can feel the thrust.”  No, that is the inertia in the moving air.  Just because the air is moving fast does not mean that there is thrust present.  Analogy:  Toss a medicine ball.  As you throw/accelerate the ball your body falls in the opposite direction so you have to brace myself to counter that.  That is thrust.  Once the medicine ball is done accelerating it no longer has any effect on you but it still has inertia.  When the ball encounters the hands of someone who is catching it, that transfer of energy has no effect on you, the person who threw it.  Energized exhaust still may be useful for things like filling the negative pressure behind the car (reducing drag), or drawing air thru a venturi to create negative pressure in ductwork or even to help seal a diffuser. It may also have negative effects like separating the air already attached to the body of the vehicle which creates drag.

Zoomies create downforce therefore thrust?

The above statement demonstrates a misunderstanding as to why zoomies create downforce.  It is the bend on the tube creates a centripetal force changing the direction of the exhaust.  It’s the same force that presses your butt into the seat and tires into the pavement when you drive fast thru a dip in the road.  If thrust was the principle by which zoomies worked TF exhausts would exit straight up in order to maximize downforce, but they don’t.   They are angled upward at approximately the same angle as they went downward. This is because the direction of force they create is the difference in those two angles and not in-line with the exhaust exit.

Exhaust Thrust, P&W R4360-VDT

Most articles refer to the VDT engine make it sound like they just pointed an exhaust pipe out the back of the plane and it provided significant amounts of free thrust.  A misleading oversimplification of the design.  At cruise speeds it ran at wide open throttle, had no wastegate and controlled boost with a variable nozzle at the exhaust tip.  The design intentionally created massive exhaust back pressure so they could release it at the nozzle and create thrust.  The purpose was to gain high speed cruising efficiency not max power.  When they wanted to create max power they would open the exhaust nozzle, cutting the ‘thrust’ and  allow the turbos to create boost and put peak power.