Author Topic: H/BF-BGMS changes for '10  (Read 12343 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: H/BF-BGMS changes for '10
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »
Photo detective game? I say all the wheels are the same size by looking at the squares on the rug :-D

Nice wheels Jnuts, sorry you had to wait so long.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 08:06:02 PM »

After dropping the motor in the bay I decided to install the oil cooler. Some say you dont need the OC but figure that now the car is running the long it cant hurt (plus holds a bit more oil).

Turns out this was a huuuuuggggeee pain the the arse.

The billet oil pan I had on the motor was a drag race only pan with no oil cooler provision. I had to remove the billet pan off our big bore motor that had the provision (*and used a line bypass system). This was no real problem except the new pan needed to be drilled and tapped for the turbo oil line drain.

Then the oil cooler lines didnt fit very well and had to re-bend some tubes. Now that its in the car the cooler sits a good inch from the header and has fairly good airflow from the cheesy stock Fiat side air scoops.

I was advised that I should make sure the vertical surfaces on the nose section were equal to centerline.

Lets just say that I vested great deal of time and effort to insure they were the same on each side. I was going to have to do something to facilitate steering clearance with the larger tires anyway so re-skinning the sides ended up serving 2 purposes. In truth I am much happier with the front end profile anyway and should of done this sooner.

Very early stages of the wheel bumps. No compound curves for me this year (*running slim on time). These look fairly rough now but they are much further along from when the pic was taken and are starting to really shape up.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
JHT,
My guess is that when your engine is at WFO and the headers are at 1500 deg F + your oil cooler will be an oil heater! At that temp the major method of heat transfer is radiant and the fact that you have a little air blowing thru the cooler will have very little affect.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »
Rex, I dont think I can get a pic because its too far under the body but the oil cooler is separated by a hollow 1" body structure member. It hangs over the cross member almost as if it were made for it.

I too was concerned that it would be too close and heat rather then cool.

I will try and get a pic of the setup in the car.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »
JH I agree with Rex. Virtually non of the highly modofied busa's run oil coolers, mine is history. Use block off plates, not the bypass set up. They have a history of hoses comeing off.

See ya Soon

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing