Author Topic: H/BF-BGMS changes for '10  (Read 12345 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: H/BF-BGMS changes for '10
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »
The theory behind Ackerman is that the wheels won't scrub or fight each other in a turn. When set up correctly the inside wheel turns slightly more than the outside wheel. It's often referred to as "toe out in turns". In the case of a land speed car the wheels are being turned very little and it's probably the least of the critical items on the front end. I'd try to get it the best that I could, but sometimes it's difficult in a front steer car where the steering arms may interfere with the brakes, wheels, hubs, etc. A lot of oval track and other race cars run without ackerman or even a little negative ackerman. Get as close as you can and then worry more about all the other parts of alignment.

Pete

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:32 PM »
i will agree with peter--ackerman although on the list arnt at the top--at the top of my list would be scrub radius then caster then toe then camber then ackerman  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
Thanks Willie. 8-)

Jonny, I send you one more PM with the info I forgot to put in the first one. Dodge old age and failing memory! :? :? :?

Pete

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »
Jonny,

In reference to "Am I wrong?"  At this point I can't honestly offer an opinion one way or the other, little knowledge can be dangerous and all....  I'm still gathering all the info I can on front end geometry etc as it applies to LSR as I help out with a lakester build, somewhat wider tread and substancially longer WB.  As currently set up the best we have been able to do is get the intersecting lines on the centerline back near, in front of, the rear end.  When we get it runing will be glad to share the whole front end set up and how well it works.

Peter, Willie,

Thanks for the input, makes me feel better about the directions I have been leaning towards.

Ed

Offline willieworld

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:54 PM »
ok guys i will confess  ive never built a land speed car--although the 3 bikes ive built have broken 11 records--i have built many drag race cars and a ton of street rods--even though the suspension ( if you have any ) will travel a lot farther on the drag strip than the lake bed i think the drag strip is more forgiving than the lake bed do to traction  not just forward traction but sideways traction as will--the front end alignment and all aspects of it are critical-- if these words dont sound familiar ---scrub radius-caster-camber-kingpin inclination-toe in-ackerman principal-steering ratio-tire height and pressure  then you should have a professional give it a look   just some thoughts   willie buchta

a short course          http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:11:34 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline RICK

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
As I recall,,,,there has been plenty of discussion concerning "SCRUB RADIUS", But don't recall the out come???  I'm guessing that we want it?  But how much? And positive or negative? And why?

Thanks,  RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
The outcome was that Sparky went from over driving and no records to three hats in five runs.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
Dan --

Wait 'til Wayne Jesel and Jimmy Shine get it figured out this year -- your comments adding to the credibility.  Might be able to drive that roadster more than 50% of the time.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »
New parts in today!!!!

New pump for the intercooler (I have 3 of the same pump on the car, love this pump and company).
A Wilwood master for a handbrake (no more foot)
Tial 38mm MVS wastegate
SAE billet clutch cover (due to the massive MTC clutch being built)

I appreciate all concerns about Ackerman.... I have done a good amount of research and have had consulting about it and have decided it wont have an affect on my vehicle due to the very narrow track width and very limited steering egress. I will however keep an eye out if their is a prob.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:09:12 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
Made a discovery today.....

welding SS to MS is not a big deal.

Got some 309 sticks and didnt work for poop.

Used a 75-25 mix on the MIG with some SS wire and it came out really nice.

Wastegate flange is installed.

~JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 06:49:48 PM »

Wheels came in today!!!!!

On that note....

I never wanted to be the guy that bitches about stuff but my experience (twice in 3 years) with Diamond Racing Wheels has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

If you say you will call someone back....especially because you are already 3 weeks behind when you said you would have them done, call. I can understand once or twice but after about 4 messages in a period of 3 weeks till the point where my pop has to tell the lady "he77 no I will not leave a message I need to talk to someone"....

If you say they will be "shipped tomorrow" how about f-ing shipping them and not 2-3 weeks after the day you say you will ship them, or at least give a guy the respect to call if there is some delay.

I feel we are very reasonable people and can let a bunch of poop slide but this really pizzed me off.
The worst part of it all is that I reminded my pop of the SAME crap from our first set of wheels and almost identical circumstances and he assured me they just had a bad few weeks on our first experience with them and it will be different this time. Well pops....it wasnt and after talking to another land racer in Portland today I find they did the same BS to them as well.

(*Sorry for the rant, had to get that off my chest).

At least now I wont loose more sleep on the wheels!

~JH

*Andres Segovia

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Tell us how you really feel, JH!! :evil: :evil:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 10:37:04 PM »
Nice looking wheels,,, I only see Dzus tabs on one wheel (rear I think)  I assume the other 3 are laying face down ?

Everyone Knows I like Black !!!!  hmmm but I like Black Cars and Red Wheels,,, maybe when I build  the next project,,,  A rear engine modified roadster I will make it red with black wheels (just to change things up a bit ?? )

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 11:15:21 AM »
I'd bet the other two wheels are for the fully-enclosed front.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
I'd bet the other two wheels are for the fully-enclosed front.

Stan

Stan I thought that as well but... unless it is an optical illusion, it looks like the Dzus tabs are on the smaller diameter Front wheels ?  Looks like the two wheels on the right side are larger diameter rear wheels.. and have multi lug pattern as well ??

Just my observations,,, but it may just be the picture...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com