Author Topic: My CBR1000A/F ...Again  (Read 41278 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: My CBR1000A/F ...Again
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »
Hi Wobbly
that is PSI.per Cylinder cold after re honing and new rings.I am hoping for higher HP results than that "I hope"
Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »
Usually I do a compression check on the bench immediately after building an engine to make sure I put it together right.  Usually the initial readings are pretty close to what they will be after the rings seat, but not always.  The readings you posted are similar to what I have seen on some engines.  Usually mine are over 200 psi and fairly uniform among the different cylinders after running on the dyno.  It depends on the cam.  A hot cam lowers the cranking compression a little bit. 

My typical practice is to use Union 76 10-40 basic quality mineral oil with Red Line break in additive at first.  Racing oils are used after that.

The horsepower will increase when the rings seat.  It is only a few horsepower more for the little bike motors I work with.

Your readings are similar among the cylinders - this is good.  Some compression gages read high or low.  Try another gage.  Check your intake cam timing if the readings do not rise to the expected levels. 

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »
All sorted now! Dyno results are to say the least not what I had hoped for but I have learnt loads on this build and will be on the salt having a great time this forthcoming speedweek,I wont be breaking any records but it aint all about that and the next project is already bubbling away in the deep dark recesses of my head.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Jon

« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
Bummer Oz, might have to make room for a bigger NO2 bottle.

Like you said, you will have a good time, how long until the bikes leave?

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
It is good to see that your motor is sorted and you are headed over here for speedweek.  Do not feel bad about not getting all the horsepower you want at the beginning.  This LSR is difficult.  It takes lots of fiddling with different things to get the power. 

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2012, 04:23:21 AM »
All done and dusted so just gave it a try on the ozco patent transport skid and it fits lovely only 5 weeks till it ships and 10 weeks till we fly out cant wait!!!

See you on the salt.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2012, 06:41:35 AM »
Ozco-branded stuff looks fine from here. :cheers:  Are the springs compressed as much as they look - or is the bike that low?  I'm wondering if you'll suffer some long-term effects of having the shocks and springs at full squish for the weeks it'll take from when you button it up to when it's back on the ground.

We'll see you on the salt!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2012, 08:20:48 AM »
They are down just over half way, And the bike is very low about 3" at the lowest point I reckon the springs will be ok its been strapped on the bike lift for over a year like that with no noticeable problems......I hope they will be ok Damm dont want to start worrying about more stuff now! 8-)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »
Back in the early '70s I helped to introduce the ANKRA strap system to the MC dealers in Wisconsin.  A big help for long-distance travel is to place a block of soft wood (pine) or a firm block of extruded foam beneath the motor/frame and then compress the bike with straps.  This wil prevent the bounce-effect when traveling as well as assure the suspension will only be compressed by no more than half.  Another way of doing this is to insert a length of 2 x 4 between the lower tree and the front tire.  If you use a modern roll-over front-wheel chock, the most important straps are placed near the rear suspension and pull FORWARD at an outward angle.  I have hauled dozens of bikes (sometimes 8 or 9 in a trailer) from Utah to Wisconsin to Alabama and have yet to lose one.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Jon

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »
Looking good Oz

Looks like the frame does more than just transport with the extra bits sticking up each end?

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline DavieB

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »
Your bike made it into street fighter magazine!

we get it a little late here in aus but we do get it.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
Street Fighter ... what month?

Joe

Offline DavieB

« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Im not too sure what month, we get them a bit late over here.

it was in the front of the magazine in the bottom corner with a bit of a story about how the guys from the UK were going to the states to race at Bonneville and a photo of Oz's bike with a few others.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »
Has anyone got a copy ? does it read ok i didnt even know it was being featured off to the shops to try and find a copy!!

Offline DavieB

« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2012, 09:58:25 PM »
Ill be flying home on the 4th of december, once im home ill post my copy to you  :-D

Its nothing big, just a little pic in the corner of one page and some info about you guys going over to race.