Author Topic: My CBR1000A/F ...Again  (Read 41461 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: My CBR1000A/F ...Again
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
Nope its the head so does anyone have any info on the line boring path.

Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 03:58:49 PM »
Nope its the head so does anyone have any info on the line boring path.

Cheers Oz

Are you certain that you didn't get the caps mixed up between journals, or one on backward? Is there any way to mount the cam, turn it, and determine which journal/journals are causing the binding. Tighten them all, then loosen one at a time till the cam turns freely. Maybe you could get away with "polishing" the offending areas with emery cloth to get it freed up. It is a race engine after all, not an endurance build, and it might tolerate a little extra clearance here and there.

It just dawned on me that the binding happened after you straightened the warped head from welding, so anything that you do needs to be done with the head torqued to the block to ensure that it is in running condition.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:00:48 PM by WhizzbangK.C. »
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 12:57:29 AM »
Cam caps can only go on one way and the warpage seems to be front to back and only on no4cyl, I will make a few calls today and see what the score is on boring.
If its a no go its going to have to be the latter option bearing scraper and emery but there is alot of money and time invested in the head and cant afford to start again on another one if it goes pear shaped.

Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:49 PM »
Aint posted for a while been a very bad year so far I aint going to go on about it so!
Head is sorted and cam journals have been relieved,New or should I say another set of cams in there wiring almost done hmmm we will see on that I aint an expert and having to re work and suss out what somebody did over two years ago isnt easy but fingers crossed it will all work,only a few little bits to do on that.
I am using the old exhaust system from the original build to start with and maybe use the new system I bought with a few mods after the beast fires up again in the not too distant future i hope.heres a few pics check out the spaghetti/wiring

Oh and these are the modified inlets much more in the flow than the original build.

Hopefully things will improve soon and I will still be able to make it to the salt in august!

Cheers Oz
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:32:02 PM by oz »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
Nice job on the air inlets!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline sabat

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »
Pretty work. You might want to send a picture of those inlets to the bike impound director to make sure they aren't considered 'streamlining'.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
They are less streamlined than last time we ran it, it was mentioned but no problems.
I am only trying to beat the record as it stood 3and a bit years ago which is what i set out to do with this bike i really doubt whether it would get antwhere near the current record so there shouldnt be any arguments.
once this trip is done something a little bit more pokey might get somewhere near but in a different chassis etc or maybe continue with the jawa
aint decided just want this one to do what i originally set out to do anything over 168. whatever it was normally aspirated and then she can retire to the living room!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2011, 01:40:11 AM »
It is nice to see you back on the forum.  The bike can be entered in one of the partially streamlined classes of the scoops are a problem in the modified class.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:36 AM »
The last few bits have now been ordered and should be here this week,

A bit of body work to be done.

A relay fitted for the 5v Map activation.

Re fit tank and pipe up with a high pressure filter.

Pipe up Rad without header this time.

Fuel it.

And hit the start button.

If anyone is reading this from the Bedfordshire area and would like to check my wiring in case I blow the ECU itwould be much appreciated as you can tell i still aint that confident in the wirind dept.

Cheers Oz

Offline rockstar

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2012, 04:17:42 PM »
Hi Oz
Glad to read that you are still persevering with the project and reach your goal,will have to meet up again for a pint and a chat sometime and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

David 
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline JimL

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 02:57:06 AM »
Good to see your posts, again.  Regarding wire-up worries for the ECU, here's my thoughts:
- grounds good, between everything
- under-fuse every circuit while first testing
- time; not much of it without cranking the starter.  Some systems are a little prone to sinking the injector drivers before cranking over, something to do with the first fuel shot for startup.  If it doesn't fire right away, and stay running, cut the power to the ECU quickly. 
- time (also); if the ECU side of an injector is shorted to +B (battery power) the driver (big transistor) will tolerate it for a little bit, but not continuous.  It'll be dead on that hole. 
- tip:  if the exhaust sound is sharp and hard, it's rich; if it's soft and "mutters", it's lean.  Always trust the tone of the sound to tell you the truth.  You'll also feel the sharp "shake" on start-up of rich cylinders (such as leaky injectors).  If you get banging and whine sounds from the starter, it's trying to start too far advanced or miss-wired ignition primary circuits.

Best of luck!
JimL

Offline Jon

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 06:00:55 AM »
Good luck with the EFI Oz, good to see your back.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
Damm Jim I wish you were a bit closer it sounds like you know a bit about this stuff,The ECU only has one fuse rated at 20 amps i think and the manufacturers say it is protected from wiring mistakes as long as the grounds are good... They are!!
I was thinking about starting with 10 amp fuse  and see if it blows on switch on if all good wack the engine over on the starter and see how we get on.

Hi Jon you got those carbs on yet? Cheers for the V.B. Verrrry nice and direct from Brisbane it just dont get better than that mate,maybe bunderberg or red back next time and like I said anything I can do to help just drop me a line.

Oi Oi Rockstar you know it buddy I will pop up before this years trip for a beer or two and a chat think i might come in the motor this time dont want anymore mis haps with the bike, oh and i will grab the book next time you must have finished it by now bud!

Cheers all Oz

Offline rockstar

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2012, 04:23:16 PM »
No problem,just give us some notice so i can make sure i am not working.
Your book is safe and sound in it's original jiffy bag,and i have finished it 3 times,damm good read.

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
The bank owns my butt again for another 3 years

I aint really got it sitting in front of me its just a picture, it dont look alot but it means the salt fix is definatley going to happen.

whoop whoop yee harr!