Author Topic: Scooter racing/time trials at El Mirage?  (Read 10130 times)

Offline Kato Engineering

Re: Scooter racing/time trials at El Mirage?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 02:13:10 AM »
sorry to say

but having a lawer / attny. involved in this could actually end up screwing it all up for the rest of us.

Offline Papi

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
after going to the newly founded ORG's website at http://motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org
I was left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Mainly because the language somewhat bashes the SCTA, which in my opinion is just inappropriate.
There is a reason for wheel size rules; Safety.

If the scooter heads want to go out and bash their brains out, fine. They can do it somewhere else. If they were truly serious, they would ask any of the well recognized bodies (SCTA-BUB-USFRA-ECTA-Etc) to partner with them under a sanctioned trial basis.

Reading this part:

We’re not requiring more safety equipment on the lake bed than you use on the street. The aforementioned race organizations require Snell-approved full-coverage helmets, one-piece racing leathers, leather racing boots and leather gloves. Many of us ride on the street with half-pot Davida or DOT approved helmets, goggles, gloves and athletic shoes. If it’s good enough for the street, it’s good enough for El Mirage.

So following this line of reasoning, you needn’t drill and safety-wire your crankcase drain-plug, replace your rubber valve-stems with metal ones, or wire up side and center-stands. To keep the playing field relatively level we ask that you use pump gas. You can add octane booster.

Hence; Recipe for Disaster.

The website and descriptions like above thumb their noses at well founded rules and safety after years of documented issues in LSR. The safety is there for a reason. To try and keep you in one piece should a failure occur. I find the language on the site, and the cavalier attitude toward lack of safety very irresponsible of the ORG's promoters.

Look, there is nothing wrong with opening up the field of racing a bit. That is all good. But when fly by night scooter addicts decide that safety and life is less important than putting on a Circus Side Show of Scooter Freaks, well I'm sorry, they need to stay out of racing venues where we take this sport seriously.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:00:49 PM by Papi »
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »
I see an issue in that they are trying to run 1/2 mile with radar guns. November winds will obscure the rider(?) about 100' out. Will the gun shooters be able to see the scooter?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 02:30:38 AM »
att0rneys allways project to you the feeling of security and such

when it does not turn out that way,

they find someone to blame and then LAWSUIT.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:14:52 PM »
Hmm, I'm looking for some 8-inch wheels for the Triumph, a jockstrap, a hat with a little propeller, and some flipflops.  Opportunity knocks. 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
att0rneys allways project to you the feeling of security and such

when it does not turn out that way,

they find someone to blame and then LAWSUIT.
Pete Dean was a lawyer. Mark Dees was a lawyer. Who wants to say they were bad for the association?