Author Topic: Choosing a New Helmet that meets the new Snell Standards  (Read 1941 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Choosing a New Helmet that meets the new Snell Standards
« on: May 30, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »
This also applies to SCTA rules but I did not want to double post. In addition to having to buy new TIRES this year, I also have to buy a new helmet that meets the Snell 2005 or 2010 specs. I have been surfing the typical sites such as www.helmetcity.helmetharbor.com, motorcyclesuperstore.com, but the specs for helmets rarely say what Snell rating the helmets meet. They just say the helmets are "Snell rated". That's frustrating because I don't want to buy one and see that it has the old ratings.

So here is the solution: go to http://www.smf.org/ and click on the Snell sticker you want to see helmets for. The helmets that meet the specs are listed alphabetically. That way you can pick out a helmet you like then go to the Snell site and see if it has the right rating. Surprisingly there are a lot of new helmets being sold that do not meet the newer Snell standards.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Choosing a New Helmet that meets the new Snell Standards
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
Don, you've found the way to find out if a particular helmet model (and size, too) is rated by the Snell Foundation.  But please -- if you order your new helmet rather than buy it in person -- be absolutely sure to specify that you want a Snell 2010 (or Snell 2005, if that's your preference) helmet.

A few years back I wanted to buy a new helmet and went to the Snell site.  I discovered that the model I wanted was, indeed, being manufactured and rated with the (then) newest rating -- Snell 2005.  So I went to an on-line outfit to buy the helmet and ordered the model and size I wanted.  Sooner or later the new helmet arrived -- with a Snell 2000 sticker inside.  "Hey", I said to the vendor -- "I wanted a Snell 2005!"  "Too bad," I was told, "'cause we're not going to ship those 'til we've exhausted our stock of the old ones."

I learned then and there to specify, right down to the nuts, exactly what I wanted.  Specify Snell 2010 on your order - so you've got easy recourse if they ship and older model. 

For that matter, be sure to specify exactly what you want when you order anything, right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Choosing a New Helmet that meets the new Snell Standards
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 12:46:14 PM »
Good point Jon. I already ordered a helmet along with my tire order from M/C Superstore, but will email them about this right now.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer