Author Topic: Modified Bike - Fuel Tank size question BUB vs ECTA  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Chaulkdust

Modified Bike - Fuel Tank size question BUB vs ECTA
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:50:50 AM »
Just re-reading all the rules and noticed that in the BUB rules (5.H) in the the modified bike section it said that the gas tanks fuel capacity cannot exceed 1.32 gallons? Is this correct?? Under ECTA rules it is a minimum of 1.32 gallons (just the opposite). I was thinking of making a small aluminum tank just for racing with the minimum size required. I had planned on running both at ECTA and BUB this year.

Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Modified Bike - Fuel Tank size question BUB vs ECTA
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
I don't know anything about the rules for competing at Bub's.  As for the SCTA and ECTA -- the 5 liter/1.32 gallon break point is a number where, in the view of the rules-writers, it is convenient to change the class.  The concept is that a streetable bike needs a bigger fuel tank - to get realistic range before having to refuel - than a race-only bike.  If you have a tank that's under the 5L size you're a race-only bike -- and therefore in "altered" a/k/a "special construction" class.  Special construction can have any size tank -- since if you're running twin engines on methanol and a whiff or two of nitro you'll probably need more than five liters.  But if you're in modified and your tank is under five liters -- well, on the street you'd need to stop for fuel every half-hour or less (depending on engine consumption) -- not very convenient for street riding.  So you need a bigger tank for modified class.

That's the thinking behind the ECTA/SCTA rules.  Maybe someone else can give an explanation (or opinion) on the Bub's rules.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
I just looked at the Bub rules and it reads the same as ours,SCTA, minimum capacity 1.32 gal.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »
Went back to the BUB site and looked at that section and it had been changed. I printed a copy of the rules off when they initially came out and the wording was -

"Allowed is an aftermarket tank, if mounted in the original tanks position and its fuel capacity does not exceed 1.32 gallons."

Obviously, I need to re-print and read the rules again since they have been modified from the initial posting.

Thanks
Ron
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »
I was the person who caught the typo and called Delvene about it. It was always supposed to be minimum of 1.32 gallons but it got messed up somewhere along the way.

Offline AHG

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »
"I was the person who caught the typo and called Delvene about it"
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »
AHG - Respectfully sir - here is your double dose of Uncle Jimbo's almost world famous oatmeal raison chocolate chip cookies for that most cool new Video of your musical talants.  If any of you all havent seen it yet - give this link a click.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYnfMg6pN8Q
The ending song realy puts a smile on anybody's face who still has a pulse.   :-D

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline AHG

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »
Who in the hell is that fat f*ckin' farmer anyway.  :-o  Sheesh. :|
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~